'04 schedule

jjakq27

Here is the Bengals schedule for 2004. They look like they will have some serious competition especially on the road in Coach Lewis' sophomore season.

2004 Regular Season Home games

AFC NORTH

Baltimore (10-6), Cleveland (5-11), Pittsburgh (6-10)

AFC EAST

Buffalo (6-10), Miami (10-6)

NFC EAST

Dallas (10-6), NY Giants (4-12)

AFC WEST

Denver (10-6)

2004 Regular Season Away games

AFC NORTH

Baltimore (10-6), Cleveland (5-11), Pittsburgh (6-10)

AFC EAST

New England (14-2), NY Jets (6-10)

NFC EAST

Philadelphia (12-4), Washington (5-11)

AFC South

Tennessee (12-4)

I can't wait to see these games. I spotted the teams for next year a week or so back, and I was anxious for the new season before this one was over. I waiting to see if there's anybody yelling Takeo we love you ......... not taking any bets on that one. Also can't wait to see how Lewis coaches against the likes of Parcells.

I like the fact that we play so many of the teams that are doing well this year. When we go 10 and 6 next year and make the play offs, nobody will say it was a fluke. God ........... I don't know if I can wait that long.

bloody hell, what a bitch of a schedule.... :blink:

Oh well, here's hoping the NFL stays true to form and some of those 10+ winning teams become 10+losing teams....

bloody hell, what a bitch of a schedule....  :blink:

Oh well, here's hoping the NFL stays true to form and some of those 10+ winning teams become 10+losing teams....

I've got a feeling that more than a few of them are going to be picking up " L's " compliments of the Bengals, and every L for them is a W for us ........ one game atta time ..... just keep shoveling.

I can't wait to see these games. I spotted the teams for next year a week or so back, and I was anxious for the new season before this one was over. I waiting to see if there's anybody yelling Takeo we love you ......... not taking any bets on that one.

Well, at the very least, its a chance for all the fans to wear thier little used Spikes jerseys and find creative ways to destroy them... :D

I'm of 2 minds regarding next year's sked. On the one hand, it looks pretty brutal, with 7 games against teams in the playoffs this year + 10-win Miami. That's 1/2 our games versus playoff-caliber teams. And the Jets would have been better this year, too, if Pennington hadn't gotten hurt. As for the rest of the games, we also lost to Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pitt this year, and I expect those three teams to be better next year.

On the other hand, this year amply demonstrated that this year's winners are next year's busts. I know the Titans are way over the cap right now, something like $17 million, so they're looking at some major contract restructuring and/or cuts. Eagles have a lot of FAs, including their top 2 CBs. Jets will be making big changes on D, the Giants and Skins still need head coaches, so what will happen there is unknown...in short the sked could look a lot less daunting come September. And I expect the Bengals will be a better team in '04, too.

On the other hand, this year amply demonstrated that this year's winners are next year's busts. I know the Titans are way over the cap right now, something like $17 million, so they're looking at some major contract restructuring and/or cuts. Eagles have a lot of FAs, including their top 2 CBs. Jets will be making big changes on D, the Giants and Skins still need head coaches, so what will happen there is unknown...in short the sked could look a lot less daunting come September. And I expect the Bengals will be a better team in '04, too.

Excellent points in this post Joisey, couldnt have said it better myself...

I wouldn't mind seeing them open with the Giants at home to give CP a good team to start off with.

I heard that they might give the Bengals a Monday night game with the Cowboys next year. I don't know how true that is though.

The ghost of football past vs. the ghost of football present and future!

I heard that they might give the Bengals a Monday night game with the Cowboys next year. I don't know how true that is though.

I will be absolutely, positively, 100% shocked if that game is not *at least* the Sunday night tilt -- if not MNF. I will be almost as stunned if the Pats/Bengals tilt doesn't get a prime-time slot. The former gives you Lewis v. Parcells, the two runners-up for the Head Coach of the Year awards & the only 2 active coaches (of four total) to take a team from 2 to 8+ wins in their first year with the team. The latter gives you the Head Coach of 2003 vs. the Runner Up Head Coach of 2003.

As far as how hard the schedule is, its all a matter of perception. First thing, in the division games, records go out the window. The Browns definately showed us that in the last game of the season. Anyone can win no matter how bad or how good. My take on the rest of the schedule:

Home:

-------------------------

MIAMI---We don't traditionally play them very well. As a matter of fact, we have never beat the Dolphins since I've watched the Bengals (since 84). Hopefully we can change that trend next year.

BUFFALO-- Another team we haven't played well. Haven't beat them in the regular season since 1988, or AFC Championship, we need to change that to

DALLAS-- I'm really looking forward to this one. Parcells vs Lewis. This should be a Monday Night or Sunday Game.

NY GIANTS-- The Giants have never won in Cincinnati during a regular season game. I look for that to continue.

DENVER-- They always trounce us. Besides Dillon's game in 2000, we hadn't beat them since 1981.

Away:

--------------------------

JETS--Haven't beat them in the regular season since the 1990 opener. Came very close in 01' but lost 15-14. I look for that to change.

PATRIOTS-- WHEW!! This will be tough. I feel it should be another nationally telivised game.

WASHINGTON--A very rare team for us to play, haven't faced them since 1991.

EAGLES-- Who could forget the 97 game we lost 44-42??? This will be another huge assignment.

TENNESSEE-- Two of three games we have played there have been close. We lost 36-35 in 99', and won 23-21 in 01'. It will be hard but perhaps an upset will occur.

Thanks #7, I'll chime in with my thoughts

Home:

-------------------------

MIAMI: This will be an interesting test to see how the team will be able to handle the run.

BUFFALO: Welcome to the Jungle TKO....He won't recognize the place, but he'll recognize losing in Cincinatti :P

DALLAS: Overated team, overated coach, will probably be a prime time game.

NY GIANTS: Bad season, new coach. Who knows?

DENVER: Can Rudi get the rushing record against these guys? Wouldn't that tick CD off? This team could pull a NY and collapse after their playoff loss

Away:

--------------------------

JETS:A new Defensive scheme will hopefully allow the Bengals to exploit them

PATRIOTS: Another prime time game against another overated coach, and team

WASHINGTON: Jeesh, the owner of the SKins makes Mike Brown look like Paul Brown

EAGLES: This team loses players every year and still they compete and contend, this one worries me...Has an outside shot at being a prime time game if say the Bengals land one (or two) of the CB's

TENNESSEE: Has a huge problem looming with the salary cap, they could be in full rebuild mode.

I also think that one of the Ravens games will be a prime time game.

Actually, after going through that, I'm not really worried at all about next seasons schedule.

cheers

Kev

While the schedule does look like it'll be tough, there are a couple things to remember. First, not all of the playoff teams will be back there next year. Look at what happened to Tampa Bay and Oakland this year. Of course the playoff teams who won't be there next year probably aren't on our schedule.

Another thing is that to get into the playoffs, all you need to do is win your division. And all but two of those games, Denver and Tennessee, are in common among the AFC north. In short, our division opponents will face almost the same schedule we do. This is one of the nice things about realignment.

Well, the wheel o' coaching has spun to a stop for 2 of our 3 head coach-less 2004 opponents. The Giants have settled on ex-Jag dictator Tom Coughlin, while reports are that Dan Snyder -- in a jaw-dropping move -- has managed to coax legendary Redskins coach and HOFer Joe Gibbs back on the field.

The Gibbs move...wow. I still can't quite believe it. And Gibbs is the total opposite of Steve "tee time" Spurrier: a workaholic who sleeps in his office. No more unprepared 'Skins teams. That game just got tougher.

Coughlin in NY...ahh, it's a good time to live in Joisey! This could go either way, and if Coughlin treats the NY media the way he treated the Fla. media, oh boy could this get ugly fast. And after "player's coach" Fassel, the Giants' players are already cringing.

I heard that Joe Gibbs is a minority owner in the Falcons. I wonder if he will be forced to sell?

Yep Gibbs will be forced to sell his 5% stake in the Falcons. And for the coach of the Falcons, I think it'll be Lovie Smith....He's too damn good not to get the job.

I can't wait to see these games. I spotted the teams for next year a week or so back, and I was anxious for the new season before this one was over. I waiting to see if there's anybody yelling Takeo we love you ......... not taking any bets on that one.

Well, at the very least, its a chance for all the fans to wear thier little used Spikes jerseys and find creative ways to destroy them... :D

The guys ( and ladies ) that cracked me up at the game were the ones who had put a piece of duct tape over Spikes name and had written HARDY with a magic marker.

The guys ( and ladies ) that cracked me up at the game were the ones who had put a piece of duct tape over Spikes name and had written HARDY with a magic marker.

I have a co-worker that bought a Spikes jersey at the end of the '02 season. Six weeks later he was in Buffalo.

So on the day he signed, the Bills' website had a place where you could e-mail Takeo and he would e-mail you back. So my friend e-mails him and asks him what is supposed to do with his Bengals jersey now that he is gone and would Takeo be willing to buy it off of him. Obviously, Takeo never responded.

Ok here's our next years record with next years schedule.

Wins at home against Balt.,CLev.,Pittsburgh,

Buffalo, Giants,Denver.

Tough games to decide,are which team will show up when we play them. the Dallas team that falted in the playoffs, or the team that started 5-2. As well as whether or not we can get Miami in warm weather or cold.

possibly 6-2 or 7-1.

Away... 4-4

wins against the Jets,Pittsburgh, Cleveland,and Corey Dillon's next team.. the Washington Redskins.

Cincinnati finishes 10-6.

close but no cigar games most likely will be Titans, and Eagles. Patriots will be tough,but anything's possible.

Have to think we should be able to go 5-1 in the division next year, and we'll probably get Baltimore in Baltimore early next year like week 2 or 3.