great Marvin video interview

AMC

What is your read on some of his views? He pretty much said Carson is the only untouchable for a starting job.

And he again relayed that he is very high on Chris Perry although he referred to him as "guys at running back".

He was also a little bit softer on Pollack and Thurman as drop-dead starters for opening day.

Also had interesting takes on injuries = Warrick gets cut?? Tried to read between the lines a bit there...

What are your thoughts from the video?

:player: :player: :player:

I havent watched it. I was wondering did you mean that Pollak and Thurman aren't looking as good as he thought they were. I was kind of confused by what you said.

He said they were running no. 1 at their positions but they were not locks like the OTs or Carson. That's all. Marvin also said he likes the challenge of starting rookies, so he can mold them the way he likes. That part of the video where he said that was awesome.

When Hobson asked if he was worried about having two rookies starting at linebacker,Marvin stated,"No,I'm excited."

Pollack and Thurman should thank their lucky stars they got drafted by Marvin Lewis. I would thank him every day for the opportunity to learn from the master...

Hobson did a write-up on the interview and this caught my eye bold emphasis added)...

Asked what his off-season disappointments were, Lewis made no bones about the fact he’s uncomfortable so many of his players aren’t medically cleared yet for training camp. The Bengals figure to bring them in early next week to see who can go at Friday’s first practice, but Lewis offered no clues on the status of key guys who missed all of the spring practices, such as Pro Bowl right tackle Willie Anderson (knee), running back Chris Perry (sports hernia), wide receiver Peter Warrick (knee), and linebackers Nate Webster (knee), Landon Johnson (shoulder) and Caleb Miller (ankle).

He hinted the Bengals could start camp with a long list of players on the physically unable to perform list made up of those who have yet to pass their physicals. Lewis is adamant that he’s going to be tougher on injuries because he doesn’t want so many players who are borderline.

That's a rather...extensive...PUP list Geoff is proposing. Webster has been ticketed for that for a while, and losing Perry or Miller to the PUP list wouldn't hurt a lot. But Big Willie (who per Lenny's Tip Sheet underwent microfracture surgery on his knee) would be a blow. Johnoson would reduce depth at LB to very little, and Warrick would just plain suck.

Hopefully ML's lighting some fires. No Landon Johnson or Caleb Miller would force at least one acquisition of a backer who can go middle and weakside. I really doubt that the Natester makes any difference any more. But PUP sounds good as a Plan C at MLB.

Big Willie proly don't need camp anyway. Microfracture sounds bad but at RT he should be able to handle it better than say a DE, LB, WR, etc. If not bring on Stacy the Giant, Kieft, or Kooistra -- I think they can all do the job well enough for the Bengals to win games.

As for Chris Perry, it makes no difference this year. Let him heal if he's hurt. He's not needed right now. But I'd rather see him go PUP instead of IR in case Rudi or Watson get blown up.

Marvin Lewis interviews usually come in one of two forms. Thoughtful and insightful or an excercise in saying nothing as often as possible. This one seemed like a mixture of both.

I was surprised and pleased to hear him mention the development of Kyle Larson as one of the offseason highlights. I thought he was a very pleasant surprise last season and had very few complaints, if any. I know punters aren't sexy, but it would have been nice to hear Lewis go into more detail on this one.

I thought the remarks about Chad Johnson properly focusing on "the negatives that surround him" were interesting. Most of my complaints with Chad are centered on his constant self-promotion. In a way it's fun to watch, but for the most part I can't stand most of it. Shut up. Focus.

Sorry, I didn't hear much praise for Chris Perry, unless you count when he said "we'll see" three or four times in a row.

Absolutely loved the bit about how simple his defenses have always been, and how he won't tolerate players use adjusting to a new scheme as an excuse. I've heard Lewis describe his scheme as one of the most simple in the NFL at least a dozen times over the years and he's not afraid to chop even a star player off at the knees the moment they start attempting to deflect personal criticism by pointing to the scheme. The strength of the scheme is based in the simplicity. Lay your ears back and play.

Last, you gotta love a Bengal coach who isn't afraid to use the word Super Bowl.

Absolutely loved the bit about how simple his defenses have always been, and how he won't tolerate players use adjusting to a new scheme as an excuse. I've heard Lewis describe his scheme as one of the most simple in the NFL at least a dozen times over the years and he's not afraid to chop even a star player off at the knees the moment they start attempting to deflect personal criticism by pointing to the scheme. The strength of the scheme is based in the simplicity. Lay your ears back and play.

Last, you gotta love a Bengal coach who isn't afraid to use the word Super Bowl.

Marvin seems to be a big believer in perimeter play on defense---corners and LBs...he refuses to blame D-line for lack of run defense.....he knows his philosophy and sticks with it....

leads me to believe that kevin hardy was a big prob on run defense last year...

Yeah, watching that interview was a great way to start out a weekend.

Completely agree with the observations on ML's verbiage on the LBs and secondary and stopping the run. It's clear from the draft and the moves this off-season that he believes a ton of the problem was at LB, specifically the aging Kevin Hardy.

I always love hearing ML discuss (or rather, NOT discuss) the injured and missing. His approach to that remains refreshing three years later (and a marked departure from previous regimes). The players have to be healthy and on the field, or they are not a part of the equation until they are. Nice and simple and straightforward. It did sound like some of the walking wounded may get cleared before camp begins.

I liked his discussion of players not hiding behind difficulties with "scheme" as an excuse for failure. At its core, he wants his players to be better at making the football plays to which they are assigned than their opponent. For all of the trickery that is sometimes celebrated by the pundits (the Mike Martz hangover), a nice reminder that ML believes the team that blocks and tackles better wins the game.

Hardy did a better job of not getting cut blocked or washed out so easily in the 2nd half of last year. But I wouldn't pin the run D problems on him and say just because he's gone now it'll be automatically better. Big Duane and Langston Moore were bigger probs than Hardy IMO.

If the D-line isn't a major problem, why get a free agent pickup and why the tire rotation position wise? Why drop Big Duane out of the starting lineup?

You can have the greatest LBs in the league, but if they can't get clean because the DTs get spread for a Red Sea sized hole, it won't matter.

From what I've seen of the Bengals scheme up front vs. run, it relies on stunts to compensate for personnel deficiencies at DT. That is simple. How many TFLs did the D-line get last year? There's no penetration up front at DT.

Hopefully Robinson, Jumpy Jr., and the Thornton and Justin position shifts change that.

Marvin seems to be a big believer in perimeter play on defense---corners and LBs...he refuses to blame D-line for lack of run defense.....he knows his philosophy and sticks with it....

Didn't he say specifically that the problem was "corners?" I've always thought that Tory James was soft against the run (and a bit overblown overall - how many of those INT's was he just lucky to be in the right spot on a bad or tipped ball?).

Deltha is stout against the run, so is Ratliff. I wonder if some of the murmurings of Kiewan pushing for a job aren't also partly related to his greater wilingness than James to run up and stick somebody in the mouth. He packs a wallop for a little guy.

Didn't he say specifically that the problem was "corners?" I've always thought that Tory James was soft against the run (and a bit overblown overall - how many of those INT's was he just lucky to be in the right spot on a bad or tipped ball?).

Deltha is stout against the run, so is Ratliff. I wonder if some of the murmurings of Kiewan pushing for a job aren't also partly related to his greater wilingness than James to run up and stick somebody in the mouth. He packs a wallop for a little guy.

I think Marvin drafted Ratliff because of his tackling skills. He did spend alot of time talking about Baltimore's DBs tackling in the interview. Ratliff will be starting by next year maybe?

I always love hearing ML discuss (or rather, NOT discuss) the injured and missing. His approach to that remains refreshing three years later (and a marked departure from previous regimes). The players have to be healthy and on the field, or they are not a part of the equation until they are. Nice and simple and straightforward.

Yeah, that was choice. If there's a question whether you're in or out...you're out. We move on.

I think Marvin drafted Ratliff because of his tackling skills. He did spend alot of time talking about Baltimore's DBs tackling in the interview. Ratliff will be starting by next year maybe?

Kewian appears to enjoy the contact B)

I thought James did well vs. run tackling considering he had to make too many plays at the 2nd level. But he had a slew of solos last year and didn't whiff too much.

James/Keiwan has the makings of a pre-season battle for the starting spot. Should bring out the best of both :player:

Ah paradise, talking about battles for a starting position other than QB. This is what it is like to actually have a plan for the long term good of the team. We fans have to get use to releasing good players to make room for better players drafted by Marvin. IMO Warrick maybe in this category soon, I dont know his contract status or the cap hit, these may be the only reason he stays this year.

james starts at beginning season...then we go week by week. lets see ratliff make more plays like he did in college first. yes he played solid last year but with 0 INT's. he needs to not only be solid but productive to be the starting corner on a playoff caliber defense.