9-7

bengalsLB

With all the hype attributed to our offense this year not making the playoffs would be a disappointment.. That said the KEY to the team making a run is going to be just as it was last year....stopping the opponents runners from looking like second comings of Jim Brown.. We'll just have to see how well the D has improved...

With all the hype attributed to our offense this year not making the playoffs would be a disappointment.. That said the KEY to the team making a run is going to be just as it was last year....stopping the opponents runners from looking like second comings of Jim Brown.. We'll just have to see how well the D has improved...

I.M.H.O....

The defense has been letting this team down for too long! It's past time for them to become a "Marvin Lewis" type of defense. With Bresnahan aboard, I fully expect the defense to achieve that this year.

if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs how would u guys feel i know that it would be

our first winning record in 14 years but for me unless we make the playoffs it would be a disappointment.

The season will be what it will be. I figure them for about 10 wins. That does not guarantee them the playoffs. I view this season as another step in a progression toward a SuperBowl title, as long as they make progress (however I define that looking back on the season), I will be satisfied.

I agree -- there is a possibility that we could go 10-6 and NOT make the playoffs.

I would still consider that progress. BUT, I would not be happy.

I'm ready for us to start making the playoffs on a regular basis and then we will take our chances on getting to the Superbowl.

Isn't it much better talking about make the playoffs, and having 9-10 or 11 wins, than debating who will be available with our early 1st round pick next year.

Considering that we are in the ultra-ultra-ultra-competitive AFC and that we are one of a handful of teams that look to be on the rise, 9-7 and missing the playoffs wouldn't hurt my feelings too much. It's a winning record, it would be our first since 1991, and it would be our first since I've been a Bengals fan.

9-7 is something that I could deal with. But whatever happens this year, it's on in 2006. :player:

all i know is if we start out 1-4 and finish 8-8 again ill be very pissed

9-7 would be good just to get rid of the curse of mike brown, though if we went 9-7 and missed the playoffs it would change from 'no winning seasons in 14 years' to 'no playoffs in 14 years.' I think 06 is going to be our year, but we better at least get in the playoffs this year

I would think that at the start of every NFL teams year, the goal is the playoffs and hopefully the Superbowl. If the goal doesn't look promising, it's still a goal to try to achieve. I think the expectation of the playoffs is bigger this year than I've seen in quite some time and all the attention we are getting, will only increase this expectation. I think going 9-7 will be a disappointment in manys eyes (mine included), but looking at it without the Bengal-tinted glasses, the true test will be if our defense can stop the run. Plain and simple... Who's going to stop our offense ?? WHO ?? No one but ourselves, but our D is still a question mark. We may go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, but I will say this........

If our D finds a way to stop the run, it's F**KING on !!!

WHODEY !!!

I view this season as another step in a progression toward a SuperBowl title, as long as they make progress (however I define that looking back on the season), I will be satisfied.

Yeah, what he said.

Missing the playoffs after all the changes that have been made would be a major bite for everyone, fans included, but as many have already pointed out this is a very competitive division and conference. So missing out is more than possible. But most importantly, I agree that this team has been built for a fairly long run of playoff contending status. To my very great delight, and to the dismay of many others, almost every significant short-term potential fix has been ignored in favor of building a team that can compete year in and year out.

Mike Brown curse be damned, this team is being built to compete for multiple Super Bowl runs. So I'm extremely confident that the playoff drought WILL end...this season or the next.

I'll be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs, but that is primarily because I see the playoffs as the next step of progression. Sure a winning record will still be "progress", but it is rare for a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before to be prepared to go to the superbowl the next year. It happens sometimes, but I think these young guys need post-season experience before they're ready to win the big one.

Since I have high expectations for 2006, I think we at least need a playoff berth this year.

I'll support the men in black and orange no matter what. Whatever happens Marvin is here for the long-term, so it's just a matter of time. Fans would be disappointed sure, but if we think that how do you think the players feel? I believe Marvin has them in the right frame of mind. If they don't make the playoffs it will be because of intense competition, not lack of effort or bad coaching like in the past. So all in all, missing the playoffs this year is a different situation than missing the playoffs pre-Marvin. The playoffs are hard to make! You have to have alot of luck and lack of injuries. That being said I believe Marvin has them mentally tough enough to do it.

:player: :player: :player: :player:

I always hear the curse of Mike Brown and shrug. Yes it has gotten exponentially worse since Paul died. But I think we are overlooking the real curse.

The dreaded Curse of Bill Walsh.....

Remember he was the Offensive Coordinator under Paul Brown and when Brown named his successor, he chose Forrest Gregg over Walsh. Truth be known Walsh was very hurt over this. But I think it would be fair to say Walsh exacted a bit of his revenge. And the Bengals have never won the Sper Bowl since Brown jilted Walsh.

But Marvin Lewis is the Terry Francona to our Babe Ruth.

Who-Dey :player: :player: :player: :player:

If we went 9-7 and missed the playoffs...I think we'd start a riot and throw beer bottles at all the refs...

Edit: Oops...sorry I was thinking I was on Dawg Talk.

What will happen if the Bengals don't make the playoffs. Hmmm, well, I'd expect that...

...if they go 8-8 or worse, a large portion of the Bengal fanbase will go stark raving mad. I'm talking foam at the mouth, chew on the sheets, put a straitjacket on' em and lock 'em up bugf**k. Calls to cut every and all players on the roster will be heard. Various "sucks" and "fire" web sites dedicated to Lewis, Brat, etc. will appear. Mike Brown will, of course, be exhumed and blamed for everything. Jerseys will be shredded, season tickets burned, and journalists will beat the snot out of the team in print and on the radio even as local politicians call for placing new energy behind the county's lawsuit against the team.

...if they get 9-10 wins but miss the playoffs, they'll probably get a pass from most fans.

As for what changes the team and/or management might make if they miss the postseason, probably not many. I don't see Marvin getting fired unless the Bengals sink to 2002 levels, and I don't see that in the offing

Marvin's not going anywhere. This is an organization that stuck with Dave Shula and Bruce Coslet and Dick LeBeau longer than they should.

Can't honestly say they would pull an early trigger on Lewis after one hypothetical sub-par season. Just common sense.

Plus, they are not going to have a sub-par season. This team is SO FAR REMOVED from the 4-12s and the 2-14s its not even funny.

Its more likely that they will go 10-6 and miss then go 6-10 and miss.

So, we're agreed that Marvin won't be fired regardless, but what would it take for the fans to turn on him? Right now, we all say... "In Marvin we trust!" and other slogans, but we say that because he turned us around from 2-14 to 8-8. What if he turned us right back around into a losing team?

(I know this is hypothetical, and very far from reality) My guess though is that Bengals fans, like all NFL fans, have very short memory's. If we had a losing season, we would go straight nuts, and begin questioning Lewis' ability as a head coach.

Sacrilidge, I know, but look in your hearts and tell me I'm wrong. I remember when LeBeau won 6 games in his first season, and we had high hopes. It took only one season for us to call for his head.

On the other hand, it doesn't really matter, because it won't happen. We are headed in the right direction, and Lewis is more than able. Just a thought I was having while reading this thread.

If we go 9-7 and we miss the playoffs than i will be mad but i think marvin will do better than that this season because we have our run defence back. And our offence will be in the top 10 this season because we know have a QB with experience.

WHO DEY