More receiver talk

vman1186

For the first time in years, the Cincinnati Bengals head into training camp loaded with quality depth at the wide receiver position. A good thing, yes! However, it will be no easy task when it comes time to reduce their roster. This means some talented receivers could eventually hit the open market courtesy of the Bengals.

Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are the only two receivers guaranteed a spot, leaving veterans like Peter Warrick and Kelley Washington to fight for a place on the roster during training camp.

Although a number of receivers will be vying for a position, the one guy that may already have a leg up on the rest is Kevin Walter. The 6-foot-3, 218-pound receiver made it extremely difficult to be ignored with his performance during the team's recent minicamp.

Walter showed that he is steadily improving by being consistent and making plays. He was strong off the line, quick, ran good routes and demonstrated outstanding blocking skills. He also showed that he can stretch the field when he blew past CB Tory James and made a nice one-handed grab along the sideline before being pushed out of bounds. The sure-handed receiver was even more impressive during red zone drills when he put a move on CB Deltha O'Neal that left him caught like a deer in headlights, freeing Walter up to catch a touchdown pass in the back corner of the end zone.

To improve his game, Walter said over the off-season he worked on his flexibility and watched lots of film as well as studying teammate Chad Johnson in an effort to try and pick up some of his techniques to become a more well-rounded receiver.

Selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 2003 draft, Walter was released by the team out of training camp and claimed off waivers by the Bengals. There are several NFL scouts who feel that the Giants may have given up too quickly on Walter, much like the organization did with Ed McCaffrey and Joe Jurevicius, who both went on to receive Super Bowl rings with other clubs.

The Bengals have been patiently waiting for Walter to develop, mainly because they love his upside. Some see him evolving into a possession-type receiver and a go-to-guy in clutch situations. Keep in mind that this kid was regarded as the premier receiver in the Mid-American Conference in 2002, so he's no slouch.

Not oblivious to the situation that surrounds him, Walter understands what it will take in order for him to make the squad.

"I just have to work hard," he said. "I just have to go out there each day and work harder, make plays, and show them that I deserve to be on this team.

"Whenever my name is called, go out there and catch the ball and contribute somehow. Whether it is on special-teams, I definitely can contribute right away on special teams, or do whatever it is they want me to do. That's my role."

Walter is very versatile and could be used in a number of ways, including the H-back position, where he spent some time playing in college. Not to mention he's a special-teams demon.

Many of the receivers on this team have their work cut out for them, but the one I think that could be in some real danger of being knifed is Kelley Washington. Although he performed well in minicamp, Washington — who feels the need to imitate Freddie "Rerun" Stubbs from the TV sitcom "What's Happening" by "pop-locking" and gyrating after every reception — could be an odd man out. Washington's underachieving and excessive celebrating is undoubtedly growing weary in Cincy and like What's Happening, he too may be canceled.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is that article from?

As I was reading it, I was thinking, wow... bad news for Kelley Washington, and then at the end, they said it himself. Chad, T.J. are going to be there. Warrick depends on his health, but if he can play, he'll be there. Henry and Perry will most likely both make the squad. That leaves one slot, and it sounds like Walter has the inside edge.

I've been in the habit of defending Washington, but I'd rather have a guy that is working his butt of like this kid. See you later squirrel.

I'm not liking the "blew past Tory James" part. I think Walter makes the team. In the Texans game I went to in 2003, he was downfield on EVERY punt and kickoff. He plays with heart.

I'm more worried about Tory James and O'Neil. I know Ratliff is there in case and I'm hoping that Brooks or another of the corners can step up, if need be.

That's an awful lot of praise for Kevin Walter. Makes you wonder what he did to deserve it.

Sheesh, special teams considerations aside I'm trying to think of a single big play that Kevin Walter has produced as a wideout.

So far....nothing.

I admit it's embarrassing. I'm probably forgetting something.

Best I can come up with is the two times Troy Polamalu blew Walters up after very short grabs. Heady stuff I guess. Walters held onto the ball.

As for Kelly Washington, nice to know that particular brand of stupidity has a name. Pop-locking. Wonderful.

I hope it's worth it.

That's an awful lot of praise for Kevin Walter. Makes you wonder what he did to deserve it.

Sheesh, special teams considerations aside I'm trying to think of a single big play that Kevin Walter has produced as a wideout.

So far....nothing.

I admit it's embarrassing. I'm probably forgetting something.

Best I can come up with is the two times Troy Polamalu blew Walters up after very short grabs. Heady stuff I guess. Walters held onto the ball.

As for Kelly Washington, nice to know that particular brand of stupidity has a name. Pop-locking. Wonderful.

I hope it's worth it.

I recall Walter making a key grab in the Giants game last season...I can't remember anymore specifics but I remember him popping up, making similar catches in several other games.

I was impressed with Walter last year...he didn't have many receptions, but he had some quality grabs throughout the season and was one of the better special teams players that we had. I think that he makes the roster based on his special teams work, but I can see the makings of a pretty damn decent possession receiver in him.

*I misspelled the guy's last freakin' name...imagine my embarassment :unsure: *

I'm embarrassed to admit I must not know much about Walters, because this article really surprised me. In a really, really nice way. And if it comes to a battle between the K-Dub's, then you gotta give it to the small school kid who busts his a$$ on special teams, not the premature celebrater who never really capitalized on the #3 opportunity given to him last year. To the point where his coaches actually drafted 2 people to compete for his job.

I may be the only person on this site who thinks the WR competition won't be that interesting at all. In my mind, Washington will be lucky to survive the first cut.

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. P-Dub

4. Henry

5. Walters

6. Perry

I'm embarrassed to admit I must not know much about Walters, because this article really surprised me. In a really, really nice way. And if it comes to a battle between the K-Dub's, then you gotta give it to the small school kid who busts his a$$ on special teams, not the premature celebrater who never really capitalized on the #3 opportunity given to him last year. To the point where his coaches actually drafted 2 people to compete for his job.

I may be the only person on this site who thinks the WR competition won't be that interesting at all. In my mind, Washington will be lucky to survive the first cut.

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. P-Dub

4. Henry

5. Walters

6. Perry

You are channeling me, or I you AB. I think that is exactly how it is going down, and have thought so for some time now. I think everyone underestimates how valuable Walters is on Special Teams right now, and not one of us has any idea how good a receiver he can be. Sometimes good players wait their turn.

Just to throw this out there . If this guy is a go to guy. Isnt Warrik our go to guy? How much would we save now if Warrik goes? What Im trying to say is that maybes its time to let PW go for salary reasons. KW might make the team because he is cheaper.

Walter has obiviously had a great off season and he probably has become a solid receiver. However I have to think of Danny Farmer(great wr but made of glass) I would like to see this guy go over the middle alot this preseason and see his durability. The go to guy has to be tough are he wont last. Now thats what made Mcaffery so good he could run the hard routes every time. This guy also helped alot in the running game.

If Walter can turn into Mcaffery he will see some playing time this year. TJ is the guy of all our WRs IMHO that can take the pounding in the middle. Warrik did take it but he might not be able to do it again we just dont know.

KW is a disapointment I think Henry will get this guy cut and we keep a cheaper player.

IMHO

So am I way off?

If you ask me, Pdub is goig to be the odd man out. At his price, with no contract for next year and no trade value due to an entire season lost last year, unless Marvin knows something he's not leaking out, Pdub is going to have to be spot on to get a spot.

I see it shaking out with

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. Chris Henry

4. Kelly Washington (cheaper than Pdub, no injury questions)

5. Kevin Walter

6. Tab Perry

If you ask me, Pdub is goig to be the odd man out. At his price, with no contract for next year and no trade value due to an entire season lost last year, unless Marvin knows something he's not leaking out, Pdub is going to have to be spot on to get a spot.

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. Chris Henry

5. Kevin Walter

6. Tab Perry

He is cheaper than P-DUB, but he will not give you the same type of production that PDUB will. I think Walter wil be the cut

I don't see P-Dub going anywhere. I don't see Washington going anywhere either. It will be Tab that will prolly be let go, traded or assigned to the practice squad. The the way it goes for late rounders. Washington is on the bubble, and will be all year. If he doesn't produce, then next year will be the wave, I think. I was excited when we drafted him but he has not produced. If he concentrated on playing the game as much as he does on showboating, he will be in better shape.

Oh, note to Washington, yes CJ got a lot of his hype from carrying on and such, but he has backed it up. You can't be dropping balls and missing routes then dancing for a first down when you actually do something right my friend. Get in gear because we ALL want to see you succeed!

Also, I think there is a good reason we picked up Krenzel. We will need a 4th QB just to work out all the talent we have at WR and Chris Perry.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, but I still say it is Tab that finds the practice squad unless Warrick is unable to perform.

If you ask me, Pdub is goig to be the odd man out.  At his price, with no contract for next year and no trade value due to an entire season lost last year, unless Marvin knows something he's not leaking out, Pdub is going to have to be spot on to get a spot. 

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. Chris Henry

5. Kevin Walter

6. Tab Perry

He is cheaper than P-DUB, but he will not give you the same type of production that PDUB will. I think Walter wil be the cut

Pdub has to prove he can still play, and not being ready for minicamp isn't helping him at all.

Washington can give you the same production Pdub can NOW. Pdub will NEVER be the same given his injuries and now his arthritis.

If you ask me, Pdub is goig to be the odd man out.  At his price, with no contract for next year and no trade value due to an entire season lost last year, unless Marvin knows something he's not leaking out, Pdub is going to have to be spot on to get a spot. 

1. CJ

2. TJ

3. Chris Henry

5. Kevin Walter

6. Tab Perry

What makes you think Walter will be cut? He is the only receiver aside from Chad and TJ that has stood out this off season. Are you that ignorant?

Why not put Tab Perry on the practice squad? Is there really any team who would snatch him up?

Why not put Tab Perry on the practice squad? Is there really any team who would snatch him up?

I agree...I believe that the drafted 2 receivers simply to stir up competition...I'd much rather see Walter's name on our roster than K Wash or tab Perry...

Yeah, I think he would be gone if cut. Never see the practice squad. Hell, Maurice Mann was snatched up last year. If they really like Perry and he shows well in camp, he is making the club.

I think everyone underestimates how valuable Walters is on Special Teams right now, and not one of us has any idea how good a receiver he can be. Sometimes good players wait their turn.

I can't speak for "everyone" but I'm not underestimating Walters value to special teams as much as I'm sticking to my pre-draft opinion that the Bengals were looking to add wideouts who could do more than perform a special teams role....an important point the Bengals confirmed immediately after they had selected Henry and Perry.

A puffy article waxing poetically about the impossible-to-stop receiving abilities of Kevin Walters isn't enough to make me forget that however disappointed some fans are with Kelley Washington...the fact remains that Washington has dramatically outperformed Walters within the offense. Nor can I forget that Walter's gunner role is important, but it's also a bottom of the roster role that gets a near constant turnover on most teams.

And last, when that article starts talking about Walters finally developing potential into production I simply nod my head a bit and wonder aloud if the exact same things could be said about Washington if the writer had decided to make him the feel good story of the moment.