Bad time for Holdouts

joseph

I think anyone who is holding out right now for a new contract might be screwing themselves in the long run. It seems to me that seeing as though the collective bargaining agreement is about to expire that there could be some big BIG time contracts waiting a couple years down the road. The NFL just got some big time T.V. contracts and I'm not really sure the impact has really started to effect the salary cap yet. With the new TV contracts and the new collective bargaining agreement coming up in here shortly NFL players might be on the verge of seeing a significant increase in salary cap and hence salaries. So if a player was to sign a long term contract now, it very well could be outdated and severly underpaid a few years from now when the current situation shakes out and the effect on player salary are more clearly defined. Of course that situation is different for players that haven't secured their future yet such as TJ Housh and Rudi. They came into the league as latter round draft picks and were smart to secure their future by getting enough cash not to have to worry about it. It lets them concentrate on football. It might be wise for Javon Walker to hold out at this time if he's not secure in his financial situation. But for a player like Chad to hold at this time just might not be in his best interest. He's already financialy secure and he has one big contract left in his career. The timing of that contract could be a very important factor on how big it is. I mean if he was to hold out this year or next year and get a new contract, and then a year later the new NFL structure starts to shake out and contract take a substantial jump, it's not very likely he'll be able to hold out again the following season for another contract. Holding out two seasons in a row? Yeah good luck with that. I'm sure the Bengals wouldn't mind... Either way I'm not sure about how it will all work out as the NFL transitions thru their current affairs, but if it was my azz. I'd certainly be interest in seeing some projections of the numbers a few years down the road. I'd be on the phone to Rosenhause and be like, "Hey Mr Rosenhause since you're my agent and all I was wondering if you could do me a favor and help me get a better understanding of the projected impact that all these changes in the NFL are going to have on salaries in a few years. Or if you could get me in contact with someone who could help me out with that." Before I, if I was an NFL player :rolleyes: , would even let the thought of holding out right now cross my mind.

baseball is 90% terrible cuz of no salary cap. the salary cap should be increased in football, but it should NOT be eliminated. If the larger market teams are complaining about shared revenue, then maybe they can come up with a plan to make it fair, competitive, etc....if not, they need to dole out some cash to the other clubs to make a 30 team league proceed and flourish. If they dont, half the teams will either go bankrupt, or be noncompetitive for decades upon decades and only luck would get them in the superbowl cuz talent would be thrown out the door.

Jditty, I couldn't have said it better. I'm sad about baseball because of the totally uneven playing ground that teams have going in. I love the NFL cap for so many reasons and would be mortified if it was let go (for as much as I understand it).

It's tough to deal with, I'm sure, and players, coaches, and owners probably view it as a huge pain sometimes in not being able to hang on to your core for all that long. But I love the sense that if I demand to make a Peyton size salary, I may not have much of a defense on the other side.

Everyone knows that if I demand way too much, so is everybody else and in essence I am taking money away from them being able to keep balance and good players across the board. It's almost a team way to finance the team.

I think the percentage will be increased, but I can't believe they will do away with it.

let me tell u a little story that will make u hope and pray to god that the cba continues.

picture english soccers premiership

2 big teams manchester utd and arsenal win the titles between them for 7 years no other team gets a look in.

then along comes a certain russian oil billionare buys a small london club called chelsea and pumps 200 million into the team for new players to which end 2 years after he buys the club they are crowned english permiership champions.

there is no salary cap in english soccer so u can bet drew rosenhaus personnal bank account that all hell would break loose if this happened in the nfl.

I think that a max player salary would make a lot of sense...but it will NEVER happen. The player's union will fight tooth and nail to prevent it, even though it means that the 2nd string LB will end up making more. Same old penny-wise, pound-foolish sheist that plagues professional sports.

let me tell u a little story that will make u hope and pray to god that the cba continues.

picture english soccers premiership

2 big teams manchester utd and arsenal win the titles between them for 7 years no other team gets a look in.

then along comes a certain russian oil billionare buys a small london club called chelsea and pumps 200 million into the team for new players to which end 2 years after he buys the club they are crowned english permiership champions.

there is no salary cap in english soccer so u can bet drew rosenhaus personnal bank account that all hell would break loose if this happened in the nfl.

There has to be some parity, otherwise you end up with the same winners year after year. Look at F-1 racing. Same rich teams year after year. The Yankees and Redsox are attempting to do the same in baseball. How boring.

The NFL owners are pretty much at a standstill when it comes to agreeing on a new CBA. As of now, I think 2007 there will be no more salary cap.

Yeap. The CBA expires at the end of 2007, which means there'd be no football if one isn't reached before the '08 season. However, the most threatening thing, and we've been talking about this in the NFL forum, is that if no new CBA is reached before the '07 season, then there's NO SALARY CAP for that season and beyond until a new CBA and cap is negotiated and signed.

The Union has said they'd decertify the union for the '07 season, which would make every single player a free agent. And with no cap, there's a serious concern among the NFL brass; which there should be.

Now, after all the dooms-day detail, I really believe a new contract will be written up before the end of this calendar year. There's too much at stake. MLB as a whole, finically, is a disaster, the NHL ain't even playing, and there's obvious dissention between NBA brass and their union with their CBA up this season. The NFL would be very unwise to allow that to happen in their sport for obvious reasons, but mostly to pick up new fans, sponsorships, and perhaps, new markets.