Best Actors as Athletes

Top Ten (25) Sports Movie Actors

1. Dennis Quaid - was a professional baseball pitcher in The Rookie, professional QB in Any Given Sunday, college football player in Everybody's All-American (he broke his collarbone in the making of this movie), a boxer in Tough Enough, and Breaking Away (cycling). . .

2. Kevin Costner - It pains me to put him this high up, but his list is impressive. For Love of the Game, Tin Cup, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, and American Flyers

3. Sylvester Stallone - The Rocky collection, enough said. Oh yeah he was also in Victory, Over The Top, and Driven.

4. Omar Epps - The Program, Against the Ropes, Love & Basketball, Higher Learning, and Major League II

5. Wesley Snipes - Has an even more versatile movie background than Quaid and I left out vampire hunting, an athletic achievement in it's own right. Undisputed (Boxer), Major League (Baseball), Wildcats (Football), White Men Can't Jump (Basketball), The Fan (Pro Baseball), Future Sport, and Drop Zone (Parachuting, yeah it's a stretch)

6. Jon Voight - He has been in almost as many boxing movies as Stallone. Varsity Blues, Second String, The Champ, All-American Boy, and Ali

7. Burt Reynolds - The Longest Yard (1974), The Longest Yard (2005), Semi-Tough and Mystery, Alaska. This All American tough guy was also in car racing classics like the Cannonball Run series, the Smokey and the Bandit series, and Driven.

8. Paul Newman - Slap Shot, The Color of Money, The Hustler, Winning, and Somebody Up There Likes Me

9. James Caan - The Program, Brian's Song, and Rollerball

10. Cuba Gooding Jr. - If you haven't seen Gladiator then you are missing out on a great movie, Jerry Maguire, and Boyz n the Hood

11. Adam Sandler - Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, and The Longest Yard (2005). Sure they are comedies but you know you enjoyed them and they are all classics.

12. Nick Nolte - North Dallas Forty, and Blue Chips. He definitely gets credit for his role in Blue Chips. If you can make Shaq, star of KAZAAM, and Penny look good in a film then you did your job.

13. LL Cool J - Any Given Sunday, Rollerball, and Wildcats

14. Denzel Washington - Remember the Titans, and The Hurricane

15. Kurt Russell - The Best of Times, and Miracle

16. Carl Weathers - Severely underrated as Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Semi-Tough, and Happy Gilmore

17. Russell Crowe - Mystery, Alaska, and Gladiator

18. Robert De Niro - I didn't take into account that he got killed in a game of football in Meet The Fockers. Raging Bull, Bang the Drum Slowly, and The Fan

19. Hilary Swank - The only woman to make our top 25 list. Million Dollar Baby, and The Next Karate Kid

20. Woody Harrelson - White Men Can't Jump, Kingpin, and Wildcats

21. Tom Cruise - Jerry Maguire, Far and Away, Days of Thunder, and The Color of Money

22. Chevy Chase - Caddyshack, and Caddyshack II

23. Robert Redford - The Natural

24. Will Smith - Ali, and The Legend of Bagger Vance

25. Andrew Bryniarski - Best Supporting Sports Movie Actor (that you don't know the name of) Ever The Program, Any Given Sunday, Rollerball, Necessary Roughness

Honorable Mention:

Tyra Banks - Higher Learning - Some could make an argument that she deserves #1 and I wouldn't argue.

Jon Favreau - Rocky Marciano

Damon Wayans - The Great White Hype, The Last Boy Scout, Celtic Pride

Mr. T - For his role of Clubber Lang in Rocky III

Jet Li - For his game of football in Romeo Must Die. Did Aaliyah play any sports in that movie? If so put her next.

John Gooman - Everybody's All-Ameican. If he had been casted in Kingpin he could have made our top 25.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bryan Weiss writes, Touchdown 411, a weekly syndicated column on fantasy football. Touchdown411.com wants to hear from you. Send your questions, comments or suggestions to weiss@touchdown411.com.

Nice list......

I think you forgot Dean Cain...A football player turned actor, turned football player (I think?)

Maybe I'm thinking of Jim Brown.... :wacko:

Jamie Foxx was also in Any Given Sunday.

Russell Crowe (I would think being a Gladiator would take incredible athletic prowess)

Oh yeah, you forogt Adam Sandler: Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, The Longest Yard

Samuel L is that deal.

"Do I look like a bitch?!?

"--what?--"

"DO...I...LOOOK....LIKE...A...BITCH?!?"

Speaking of Samuel L, here's a old prank call that's hilarious I thought I'd share:

Samuel L Jackson Prank 1

Samuel L Jackson Prank 2

B)

Pulp Fiction. My favorite Samuel L. Jackson role:

Samuel L is that deal.

"Do I look like a bitch?!?

"--what?--"

"DO...I...LOOOK....LIKE...A...BITCH?!?"

Speaking of Samuel L, here's a old prank call that's hilarious I thought I'd share:

Samuel L Jackson Prank 1

Samuel L Jackson Prank 2

B)

Pulp Fiction. My favorite Samuel L. Jackson role:

LMAO

I remember going to see it.

A girl who I just broke up with(we amazingly stayed friendly for a while)asked me about it.I told her it was great,so she and a girlfriend went to see it.

I got a phone call telling me that the movie was sick and perveted and twisted.How the Hell could I have told her it was great?

It's nice knowing that since you no longer sleep with her,you don't have to explain yourself.

I still wonder if the guy she married a whopping six months later has eaten a gun barrel yet.