Where are we weakest?

While I agree not one of our TEs do everything well, they are not a huge part of the offense right now. They aren't a huge part because that's just how our O is ran. Would it be ran differently if we had more quality at the position ?? Maybe yes, maybe no. I can't answer that one. Our D-line however is still way to suspect for me to feel comfortable with. If our players with all the potential step up, (Askew, Geathers) then this is a mute point, if not, WAY WEAK and quite honestly scary concept as far as stopping the run (Not something we've been able to master lately). Will Robinson be the answer ?? Not sure on that either, time will tell. Maybe our draftees will have some say in our run stopping abilities with Pollock, but it's still to soon to wager a guess. I still have to say D-line until proven otherwise and TEs aren't used enough to be considered weak IMHO.

WHODEY !!!

Wouldn't it make more sense to leave Pollack at DE and put Odell Thurman at MLB with Landon Johnson and Simmons on the outside?This team needs a pass rush much more than another LB.Please dont give me that endless in Marvin we trust worship.I like the guy ,I think he is a great coach.I am saying with this many good LB's on the roster that are starting quality it doesn't make much sense to waste a talent like Pollack as a LB when he could make much more impact as a DE. Johnson led the team in tackles last year and only started 10 games,Marvin says he is his starting MLB. I like Thurman and think he has what it takes to start in the NFL and if they bench him it will be a waste.So the team should either go to a 3-4 or keep Pollack at DE.

After watching those David Fulcher clips in the other thread, and doing the mental comparisons to the Bengals safetys currently on the roster, there is no other real choice!

Fulcher would simply CRUSH some folks! I like that in a defensive back. :)

Why does everybody bitch about our TEs? I know that Kelly and Stewart aren't exactly great, but Schobel has shown that he can be a good pass-catching TE WHEN THEY ACTUALLY THROW THE BALL TO A TE!

The TE isn't a big enough part of the offense for it to be such a negative. I worry more about our weaknesses on defense than I do about our TEs.

And right now we have a need at SS that has been overlooked thus far in the offseason. I don't hate Kim Herring or KK, but I certainly think that there are upgrades that could have been made that haven't been.

Besides, when we have CJ, TJ, K-Wash, P-Dub (maybe), K-Walt, Chris Henry, and Tab Perry to throw to in 2005, why will we need to worry about a TE? Sure, it would be nice, but every TE can't be Todd Heap or Tony Gonzalez. I think we'll be alright.

Why does everybody bitch about our TEs? I know that Kelly and Stewart aren't exactly great, but Schobel has shown that he can be a good pass-catching TE WHEN THEY ACTUALLY THROW THE BALL TO A TE!

Unless it's a must catch to keep a drive moving on 3rd or 4th down, or a touchdown throw, in which case he can't catch the damned ball at all.....

Unless it's a must catch to keep a drive moving on 3rd or 4th down, or a touchdown throw, in which case he can't catch the damned ball at all.....

Oh, well I didn't know we were talking about THOSE catches :D

Believe me, an upgrade at TE would be very nice, but I certainly don't think that it is our biggest weakness. If we had the chance to get a good young TE or a good young SS at this point, I would take the SS, but that is just MHO.

You left out the weakest link of all... in the stands!

There are still WAY too many tickets being sold to visiting teams fans and too many negative "Bengals fans" bitching and moaning about how they could do better than Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown....

I agree. People need to sell them to someone that is a Bengals fan and quit selling to the Steelers and Ravens fans even if they can make a few more bucks. :angry:

Believe me, an upgrade at TE would be very nice, but I certainly don't think that it is our biggest weakness. If we had the chance to get a good young TE or a good young SS at this point, I would take the SS, but that is just MHO.

I won't disagree with you on that. However, that doesn't make us stronger at Tight End, it just means we can live with a good blocking tight end who can't catch the ball thanks to our other options on offense.

Wouldn't it make more sense to leave Pollack at DE and put Odell Thurman at MLB with Landon Johnson and Simmons on the outside? This team needs a pass rush much more than another LB.

That depends on a few things: first, can Pollack make the transition to LB? Second, how much slack will they give him (in other words, if he struggles this coming year, which wouldn't surprise me, do they stick with it or panic and start moving him around)? Third, how does Jumpy Jr. develop? If Pollack plays DE instead of LB that will likely reduce time for Geathers, and he had some promising moments last year.

IMHO, I think the LB corps remains suspect. Simmons and Johnson are the only two I'd consider "proven." I can see the backers turning into a great group...and I can also see them struggling a great deal. We'll see.

I won't disagree with you on that. However, that doesn't make us stronger at Tight End, it just means we can live with a good blocking tight end who can't catch the ball thanks to our other options on offense.

Very true.

It looks like we will have to agree to...agree. :huh:

I was going to vote that the Bengals were weakest at backup running back until I remembered they still had Kenny Watson and Quincy Wilson, aka the waiver wire guy. No kidding, after reading all the talk about Chris Perry I started wondering what it might be like if the Bengals actually had to count on that guy.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it gave me a severe case of the yips.

I was going to vote RB as well, outside of Chris Perry we have no one worthy of mention. If Perry gets injured again this season could get ugly.

TEs arent a big part of our offense, i expect to see a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets again this year with the TEs not on the feild much.

I voted D-Line, though CB and SS could also use upgrades.

Oh and were not weak at Center anymore, Ghiacuic is our center of both the future and now. One of our best picks on either draft day.

Well...being that Rudi Johnson was a pro bowler last year..and Kenny watson gave us a Litttle boost catching out of the backfield I would totally disagree with you. But, we all know that you have something against Rudi Johnson..

Quincy Wilson was decent at WV I really want to see how he does in the pre season to see what he can do to help us.

If Perry gets injured again this season could get ugly.

Wouldn't Perry have to get healthy before he could get injured again? Then again...

KFFL - 5/04/07 - In sad news it was reported today that Chris Perry was released by the Cincinnati Bengals after being blinded by the camera flash on team photo day. This injury is just the latest setback for Perry since being selected in the 1st round of the 2004 NFL draft. Other injuries suffered by Perry include multiple groin injuries, countless hamstring pulls, a dinged wrist, repeated bouts of painful rectal itching, a shattered reputation, and grossly bloated expectations that required frequent drainings.

After being blinded, a minor injury that isn't believed to be permanent, the Bengals decided to cut their ties with Perry after learning his photo was the only one taken that didn't develope. "We figured it was a sign that God hates that guy. And trust me, that's something we know a little something about around here." said Mike Brown. Brown added that the Bengals had no plans to replace Perry even if another constantly injured player becomes available.

KFFL - 5/04/07 - In sad news it was reported today that Chris Perry was released by the Cincinnati Bengals after being blinded by the camera flash on team photo day. This injury is just the latest setback for Perry since being selected in the 1st round of the 2004 NFL draft. Other injuries suffered by Perry include multiple groin injuries, countless hamstring pulls, a dinged wrist, repeated bouts of painful rectal itching, a shattered reputation, and grossly bloated expectations that required frequent drainings.

After being blinded, a minor injury that isn't believed to be permanent, the Bengals decided to cut their ties with Perry after learning his photo was the only one taken that didn't develope. "We figured it was a sign that God hates that guy. And trust me, that's something we know a little something about around here." said Mike Brown. Brown added that the Bengals had no plans to replace Perry even if another constantly injured player becomes available.

Talk about a news flash :lol:

If Perry gets injured again this season could get ugly.

Wouldn't Perry have to get healthy before he could get injured again? Then again...

This cracked me up, but not so much that I didn't take a peek at the Bengalszone Front Page Newswire anyway just to be sure it wasn't true! :rolleyes:

attention posters........I cant believe you all think that any other position is weaker than what we currently have at center right now.. 2 rooks and a backup is all we have to man the post...

Bluto Guy-Check may be a decent center but he has to learn yet. Same with

Ben ( Bud ) Wilkerson... he's just a rook and a banged up one at that.

Larry Moore starting??? Please no ........

Even Braham is a relic now...

braham is an awesome center. but if we dont resign him, i think we'll be fine with moore starting for a few weeks and then one of the rooks will be ready...

braham is an awesome center. but if we dont resign him, i think we'll be fine with moore starting for a few weeks and then one of the rooks will be ready...

No Braham is not an "awesome" center.. Quit being a Homer... He's a 35yr old

player that has broken down.. His knees and body have been thru too many games to play effectively all the time anymore.. Marvin has good as said we can take him or leave him.. Its up to Braham....

The rooks may or may not be okay.. Until they play who knows..Moore is a sub period...