early look at 2004 draft

Hey fellas, it's that time of the year when we die hards start looking at the draft.If you're a draft fanatic like myself then you have already been studying.AS it stands now,Cincy should be picking somewhere in the early to mid 20's come april 24th and 25th next year depending on where we finish come playoff time.Let's look at the Scenarios.Trading Dillon is very possible.With his track record and talent Cincy could still garner a first and a late round pick for him.The less Cincy would afford is an 2nd and a 3rd or 4th for him similiar to what brought Marshall Faulk to the Rams back in '99.Don't look for Cincy to trade John Kitna.Kitna fully understands his place in Cincy,and would have no problem restucturing his contract if and when Carson Palmer replaces him.As of march 1st 2004.Cincy will be about 11-13 million under the salary cap.So let's look at our needs,and what should happen come april. The play of our offense under what appears to be our 2nd best quarterback says enough about the needs of our offense.However with the age of Rich Braham and Matt O'Dwyer's play look for our Bengals to take an early pick on the offensive line ,like Shannon Snell OG from Florida in the Second round, and Jake Grove C from Virginia Tech in rounds three or 4.T.J. Houshmanzadeh's injuries and past mistakes have him deperate for a roster spot next fall so look for Cincy to take another Wide Receiver to fill his spot like Derrick Mccoy from Colorado or Bernard Berrian if he falls to the later rounds.Rounds 6 and 7 look to fill additional spots at linebacker and the secondary.Now Let's look at rounds 1 and 2 in detail.Rudi is a restricted free agent so cincy will tender his free agent offer forcing another team to trade or leave him be.If Dillon is traded look for cincy to take a look at Cedric Benson or Chris Perry if either of them are available in rounds 2.But our first and foremost needs are at Cornerback.Free and Strong Safety.Strongside linebacker.And Defensive Tackle.If trades do happen and we have additional picks in rounds 1,2 and 3,then look for cincy to go entire defense on day one.If no trades happen,then i see this as the official 7 round mock for april 2004.

round 1. Marlin Jackson cb Michigan......

round 2. Marcus Spears de Lsu

round 3. Jake Grove c Virginia Tech.

round 4. Mewelde Moore rb Tulane

round 5. Richard Siegler lb Oregon St.

round 6. Alex Stepanovich og/c Ohio ST.

round 7. Derrick Mccoy wr Colorado

good luck Bengals.

Hey Chris, nice post, I can tell you really worked hard at it.

Do you think that Derrick Strait and Sean Taylor will be picked up before the Bengals pick? I really like Jackson but Jenkins and Holmes both had over 100 yards receiving plus nearly 10 catches. But I'm guessing Strait and Taylor will be gone by the time the Bengals pick up.

Trading Dillon is very possible.

I would have agreed with you last year on this but I really think NFL teams are starting to slide away from him. He was injured most of the season, has locker room issues, and makes too much money. I hope we can trade him because Rudi is our future and it wouldn't be fair to Dillon putting him 2nd, but that's the nature of the beast.

Kitna fully understands his place in Cincy,and would have no problem restucturing his contract if and when Carson Palmer replaces him.

I think when Palmer does take over, we should allow Kitna to do what he wants. If he wants to join another team to be a starter, let him go. He deserves that much.

However with the age of Rich Braham and Matt O'Dwyer's play look for our Bengals to take an early pick on the offensive line

I completely agree. Maybe pick up a Center in the free agent market and a guard, like Stepanovich in the later rounds. I think Center is the most important line position because most plays are determined by the Center, he makes the line blocking calls at the line. A vetern would be wonderful, but undersure if there's any good ones after this season. If we do go for Center in the draft, Grove would be a good choice.

Overall, I think the Bengals will go secondary and both sides of the line at first. Of course depending on the RB situation during the offseason, that would unbalance things a little, but not much. We don't need a great runner to pick up if we have Rudi, but if we have Corey and for some ungodly reason we trade Rudi then Benson, K.Jones, or Perry would be a high possiblity.

With Marvin Lewis and Leslie Fraizer concerned as all can be with defense, I really think we are going to attack that. I hope we DO NOT go after big name Free Agents and develop our own guys, something Lewis has routinely done.

Chris great post and great stuff. You'll be a great addition to draft discussions, welcome to the board.

As much as I hate to say it (UM and all) I think a Marlin Jackson would fit in great with the Bengals.

You think Jackson should be picked above Strait and Taylor? I think have something against Jackson because of UM, man I hate the Wolverines. HATE! They are the Browns of college for me.

hehehehe. I agree with you totally on the hate of UM. You and me have much in common. hate of the Browns. hate of UM! As for Jackson though I do like his intensity. Granted he has had troubles with the law and all but he is talented. I just hope we get a good cover guy and a good DT. maybe Edwards should be our first priority. Will Smith is also an option.

hehehehe. I agree with you totally on the hate of UM. You and me have much in common. hate of the Browns. hate of UM! As for Jackson though I do like his intensity. Granted he has had troubles with the law and all but he is talented. I just hope we get a good cover guy and a good DT. maybe Edwards should be our first priority. Will Smith is also an option.

Big OSU fan? Man we going to be good next season, very good. Most of our defense returns exception D line, our linebackers are awesome, Fox is going to return and have some awesome seconary guys which makes me hope they put Gamble back on offense.

Our offense will be better with Justin Zwick, Troy Smith, Brandon Schnittker, Roy Hall and Ryan Hamby.

This might be a very exciting year for BuckCountry!

Big OSU fan? Man we going to be good next season, very good. Most of our defense returns exception D line, our linebackers are awesome, Fox is going to return and have some awesome seconary guys which makes me hope they put Gamble back on offense.

Our offense will be better with Justin Zwick, Troy Smith, Brandon Schnittker, Roy Hall and Ryan Hamby.

This might be a very exciting year for BuckCountry!

You forgot my favorite. Wath #47 next year. He will be a force. Mr. A.J. Hawk! He will be a real hitter next year.

WHODEY! Bring it home this Sunday men!

I have to look at what Marlin Jackson gives cincinnati and whether or not he'll be there when cincy goes on the clock.He's big at 6'1 and 199 lbs. He's fast.He has a track background and with Marvin and Leslie as his tutor he'll have Hawaii invites because of cincy's man under zone scheme.Additionally he might be the best corner against the run in this year's draft. AS for Sean Taylor,If he makes it out of the top 10 I may just do a "Fred Sanford" and start calling for "Elizabeth".There are certainly plenty of options for cincy.With the salary cap where it will be come free-agency time,i still feel cincy could afford no more than 2 free agent pick-ups that would start,that's if they decide to keep Corey.With Dillon's departure an additional 5 million more would be free'd up but would guarantee cincy drafts another running back early.But I'll give you my top 5 "gotta-have's" for that # 1 pick, for where we'll be drafting. Kenechi Udeze de usc. Marlin Jackson cb michigan. Randy Starks dt maryland. Derrick Strait (if he's there) cb oklahoma. D.J. Williams olb miami (fla.). I love what Williams' would bring to our defense as a strong side linebacker and putting Adrian Ross in his better off the bench type of role.