Shazor Train- 4th round departure? Merged topics.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, everybody...get off the Shazor tip. :D

can't stop the train... :player:

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I wish that we had signed Shazor, but I am glad that he went to a team that I don't hate that needs a good SS/OLB.

The train stops here.

• 11 months later...

So, um, I hate to ask you all to rehash a bunch of bad memories, but why was it, exactly, that Shazor was so uniformly dissed by all 32 NFL teams?

I know he signed with the Cards, but I don't think he recorded any stats. Is it just that he flat-out cannot cover a receiver? I never heard anyone weigh in on his slide (although I'm new and wasn't around last spring if the discussion took place here).

I have little doubt that the Bengals might have been better off picking up Shazor in the 7th than signing Ohalete (apologies to Fanene, who contributed splendidly as our 7th round pick!!)? SS was really an area of need in the draft and Shazor was thought by some to be a solid player, if not a potential stud. As evidenced by this thread. What happened?

(...and will it happen again this year? Will we be talking about the Darnell Bing train next year?)

It was more than just a lack of speed. Shazor wasn't polished at all, so his draft stock was based completely on promise. Once he turned in those crappy workouts ( I think his short shuttle was horrible, too, which is more important for a safety than the 40) he showed there wasn't much promise there. He was overhyped because a lot of his big hits got put on sportscenter and he played for Michigan. If he would have played for a small school, you wouldn't even know his name.

(...and will it happen again this year? Will we be talking about the Darnell Bing train next year?)

Bing should still crack Day 1. But Greg Blue......Even with decent 40 times, he could be a hard fit for teams in Day 2 but he probably gets picked ahead of another of the same type Dwayne Slay who had god awful 40 times and is going to have a time getting drafted even though his coverage skills looked a lot better to me than Blue's.

The strong safety/OLB tweener sure sounds good like a second coming of David Fulcher, which is why Thomas Davis looked so promising and Shazor had the appeal he did. Nothing quite smacks of stopping the run like a LB sized safety in the box who hits as hard as either of those 2. Plus a player like that frees up Madieu to do what he does best in coverage.

The James Butler vanishing act was more baffling to me than Shazor's. After watching Butler with Georgia Tech and then kick a$$ in the Senior Bowl, he looked like one of the better interchangeable safeties in the draft. I had him and Shazor both going in the 3rd round last year but had no doubts that Butler was a NFL safety. As it turns out, Butler is and had a decent year for the Giants with the chance to get more PT this year. Butler would have been a vast improvement over the likes of Ohalete and Anthony Mitchell as well as the two undrafted safeties the Bengals signed. Shazor couldn't have been much worse.

BTW, this is a great thread, filled with all the ups and downs of draft prognastication. :D

Here's where some of the safeties discussed last year ended up going in the draft:

Thomas Davis -- 1st at #14

Brodney Pool -- 2nd at #34

Josh Bullocks -- 2nd at #40

Oshiomogoho Atogwe -- 3rd at #66

Marviel Underwood -- 4th at #115

Donte Nicholson -- 5th at #141

Andre Maddox -- 5th at 161

Jammal Brimmer like Shazor and Butler went undrafted.

I'd like to see the Bengals claim Shazor off waivers as soon as the Cardinals re-sign Ohalete. :lol:

Brimmer was another one last year I thought would have gotten drafted, but no such luck for him. It's still funny looking at some of those names and to think they could have been any worse than what we had last year !!! Shazor's speed during workouts was the big knock, but God Dang could that guy hit the hell out of some people. Come to think of it, does anyone remember the hit OhIsuckAlote put on Sorgi in the preseason game last year ?? HOLY HELL was that viscous !!! Then he went on to have quite possibly the worst season ever !!! Oh well !!!

WHODEY !!!