Shazor Train- 4th round departure? Merged topics.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, In college he could prob do that, but can he tackle those big recievers in the NFL, and cover them?? We don't know. I predict he is a 3rd rounder at best.

Well, I can only say he was able to practice against Braylon Edwards for his time in Meat-Chicken and at 6-3 211lbs who runs a 4.4, I would have to think he would have an idea at least. No, its not always about the speed, but if you are only 6-1 and run a 4.6 going against a WR at 6-5 running a 4.4, your coverage skills have to be even that much greater. I'll take my chances and trust Marvin and Bres can coach him up with whatever else is needed. Truthfully how many knew who Madieu was when his named was called ?? Looks like he was coached up pretty well IMHO.

WHODEY !!!

I knew who he was, I saw tape of Madieu from Maryland and his Towson State days. He was pretty dang on good

I'm sure there are those who knew who he was, however, I'm betting if answered truthfully, there are a large number who did not and were suprised by the pick... i.e. "Who the hell is that ??" :blink: I for one had to go back and look him up after the fact of him being drafted. Wait a minute, everyone knew he was the man from the start right ?? :D Just saying, if the shoe fits.

WHODEY !!!

Well, In college he could prob do that, but can he tackle those big recievers in the NFL, and cover them?? We don't know.  I predict he is a 3rd rounder at best.

Well, I can only say he was able to practice against Braylon Edwards for his time in Meat-Chicken and at 6-3 211lbs who runs a 4.4, I would have to think he would have an idea at least. No, its not always about the speed, but if you are only 6-1 and run a 4.6 going against a WR at 6-5 running a 4.4, your coverage skills have to be even that much greater. I'll take my chances and trust Marvin and Bres can coach him up with whatever else is needed. Truthfully how many knew who Madieu was when his named was called ?? Looks like he was coached up pretty well IMHO.

WHODEY !!!

I did.

I thank The Huddle Report for getting me hip to him.

Drey Boylhart was raving about him last year before the draft.

I'll back up ArmyBengal, I had no idea who Madieu was when they picked him. To be completely honest with you guys, I was really mad when they picked him and passed over other prospects like Sean Jones and Randy Starks. But boy was I wrong (and as you can tell by my avatar), Madieu is now one of my favorite Bengals.

Davis 6-1 230lbs 4.65

Butler 6-1 7/8 213lbs 4.59

Shazor 6-3 5/8 228lbs 4.45

Interesting numbers. Must say I have NO interest with Davis at OLB. Butler has alot of potential but little experience according to many sites. I think the combination of size and speed from Shazor still wins out in my book.

If Shazor can run 4.45, he'd make a strong case for him being a 1st round pick.

40 times are significant for safeties because they spend half the game hauling a$$ on the field.

I'd be all for the Bengals finding a Madieu clone in the draft this year. They did as good of a job in getting Madieu as they did as bad of a job totally neglecting the defensive line until midway through the 2004 season and by then it was too late.

The bottom line for me in the whole Shazor Train saga is that IMO the Bengals don't need to address SS until the 4th when they can get a SS who proly really does run a 4.45 40 -- Andre Maddox.

That is unless, they opt for Thomas Davis, who would have just as much of a chance being the starting MLB next year as SS.

I'll back up ArmyBengal, I had no idea who Madieu was when they picked him. To be completely honest with you guys, I was really mad when they picked him and passed over other prospects like Sean Jones and Randy Starks. But boy was I wrong (and as you can tell by my avatar), Madieu is now one of my favorite Bengals.

Thanks for the backup there, was beginning to think I was the only one left out of the loop wondering what the hell was going on in the draft last year. Anyway, things will work out as I said before and I'm more than happy to see what ML does to address this issue. Faith havin' fool !!!

WHODEY !!!

$10 we wont draft Shazor

I agree with Bullocks though...

Wouldn't put my money on ANYTHING the Bengals may do in the draft. Never said we WOULD draft Shazor, only said, I would love to have him. I still stand firm on my likes about Shazor, but acknowledge the fact there are other safties out there that will improve our secondary. As always, we are forced to wait and see.

WHODEY !!!

Jump on the Underwood Train

*choo choo*

Take a look:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...lunderwood.html

and

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2005/showplay...iel%20Underwood

Then look at his pro day speed

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#sdsu

Don't forget - Marvin wants interchangeable safeties......ones wo can cover and stop the run.

This guy should be available in the later rounds....no, I am not proposing we take him at 17 or 48 :-)

This just in from the chat on ESPN.com with Big Hair Mel...

Lance(Hamilton, IN): I haven't heard any talk of Ernest Shazor. Where do you think he will go?

Mel Kiper: (2:32 PM ET ) Ernest did not run as well as he needed to. He was in the 4.75 range and was weighing about 225. He'll be viewed by some as an outside LB. He's an excellent IN THE BOX safety. All in all, he'll probably be a fourth round pick.

Another interesting point from Mel...

Florida boy(Las Vegas,NV): where do u think crowder from the university of Florida will fall in the draft? 1st or 2nd???

Mel Kiper: (2:33 PM ET ) I'd say Channing goes 3rd to 5th round ... and that's a big change from before his injury and durability concerns. I had him in the first or second, now I'd say third or fourth for Crowder

Thomas Jones ran a 4.43 40 on his Pro Day at Georgia. But it was wind aided :(:unsure:

Hmm

Not replying to person who posted the quoted text, but instead adding some directly quoted info from http://www.gbnreport.com/nextlevelreports.html:

GEORGIA (March 22nd) junior safety/linebacker THOMAS DAVIS ran between 4.48 and 4.55 in the 40... did positional drills with the linebackers... also did some DB drills... still a 50/50 gauge of teams that prefer him at safety or linebacker... "