OJ Mayo

jjakq27

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...210366/1068/spt

Monday, March 21, 2005

NCH's Mayo wants D-III state 3-peat

Future augurs well for Trojans

By Tom Groeschen

Enquirer staff writer

O.J. Mayo wants to win three consecutive state titles at North College Hill, essentially spiking rumors that he might transfer to another school.

Mayo and fellow sophomores Bill Walker and Keenan Ellis, all rated among the nation's top boys' basketball players in their class, led NCH to a 71-65 win over Ironton in the Ohio Division III state championship game Saturday in Columbus. Mayo had 22 points, Walker 19 and Ellis 14 in the title game.

"We've got a goal to win three state titles in a row and make history," Mayo said. "We want to leave as a dynasty."

Only two other Ohio boys' schools, Dayton Stivers (1928-30) and Columbus Wehrle (1988-90) have won three straight state basketball titles. Stivers won in Class A, then the big-school division. Wehrle won in Division IV, which remains Ohio's smallest classification.

LeBron James' Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary teams won three state titles in James' four seasons (2000-03), losing the Division II state title game to Roger Bacon in James' junior year.

"We want to be remembered as one of the top programs in any class," Mayo said. "We want to be up there with the Moellers and St. Xaviers and Akron St. Vincent-St. Marys."

Mayo and Walker transferred to NCH two years ago from Rose Hill Christian (Ashland, Ky.). Ellis arrived this season from Indianapolis. Rumors persist that Mayo and Co. next will transfer to national prep power Oak Hill Academy, but the players themselves refute such speculation.

"We set a goal to win state, and we did it," Walker said. "That's one. Two more to go."

NCH will lose two seniors, guard Darion Goins and forward George Victorian. Goins was a starter who averaged 8.0 points a game, while Victorian averaged 6.0 points off the bench.

Mayo, rated the nation's No. 1 sophomore by several scouting services, averaged 27.4 points a game this year and was named Ohio Mr. Basketball. Walker, who averaged 20.8 points, is rated anywhere from the No. 2 to No. 4 sophomore nationally. Ellis, who averaged 14.0 points, ranges between No. 12 and No. 55 in national sophomore ratings.

Point guard Damon Butler, who averaged 6.0 points a game as a freshman starter this year, also will return.

"We've got a great feeling right now, and that will last for a couple of months," NCH coach Jamie Mahaffey said. "But then we'll have to get right back at it."

NCH (27-1) pulverized its small-school Miami Valley Conference rivals by 56.1 points a game. NCH and the MVC have agreed the Trojans will be an "associate member" the next two years, playing each team once instead of twice. NCH will not be eligible for the league title.

The Trojans, rated No. 21 nationally by USA Today, lost only to eventual Division I state runner-up St. Xavier this season. Next season, the Trojans look to again play St. X and possibly other big-school Greater Catholic League and Greater Miami Conference teams.

NCH took a lot of heat for having so many transfers on this year's team, but the Ohio High School Athletic Association said the Trojans have played by the rules.

"We know we'll take everybody's best shot again next year," Mahaffey said. "We went through a lot this year, but our team showed a lot of composure and fought through it."

ok I went to school at Cincinnati Country Day, a D-IV basketball school, we had about 77 kids in my gradutating class, and yet for some reason we are in the same conferance as NCH which is D-III but still. its not really competitive at all in my opion and i just find when they run up the score very unsportsman like, it just makes me scratch my head. I think NCH should at least play some talent on par with there own.

Ive watched this kid play 10 games this season.

He dominates the game at will.. but I do agree, they are playing teams that are not even half there skill level.

But O.J is the real deal, hes no Labron.. yet

In the games that ive seen he sits back and lets the game come to him, he gets his teamates involved early in the game, and sees the whole floor.

Hes just a soph. now 2 more years to go. But I too would like him to play up at a D1 level.

In the games that ive seen he sits back and lets the game come to him, he gets his teamates involved early in the game, and sees the whole floor.

sounds about right.

Its quite easy to get a triple double if you think about it.

Don't forget the other guys he brought with him(sophomores Bill Walker and Keenan Ellis) who are right behind Mayo in top players in the country. Mayo is def. the second coming of LeBron James. I have seen both of these guys play in high school and i see no difference between them. The only difference is Mayo is 17 and he is a sophmore, I dont think bron bron was that old when he was a sophmore.