Bengals mock draft

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Castillo but see us needing to take our C in round 2, which means Castillo is the odd man out....C being a bigger need than DT IMHO.

Now if we traded down and picked up an extra 2nd rounder - he'd be on my list....

EDIT: posted this before the steroid info came out. Not sure what to think now. Certainly not a 2nd rounder anymore, imho.

r1(17) DE David Pollack 6'2 270 4.79 Georgia http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...vidpollack.html

r2(48) OC Chris Spencer 6'3 305 5.18 Mississippi http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...risspencer.html

r3(83) S Josh Bullocks 6'0 210 4.46 Nebraska http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...shbullocks.html

r4 WR Courtney Roby 6'0 189 4.39 Indiana http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...urtneyroby.html

or DT Sione Pouha 6'3 325 5.06 Utah http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...sionepouha.html

r5 OG CJ Brooks 6'5 310 5.10 Maryland http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...g/cjbrooks.html

r6 LB James Kinney 6'0 244 4.63 Missouri http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...ameskinney.html

r7 TE Adam Bergen 6'4 265 4.65 Lehigh http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...adambergen.html

That'd be a killer draft....But it's looking like to me that the meat of the picks will be gone ahead of Bengals picks.

1. Pollack should be there

2. Spencer 2nd rd to Giants 5 picks before Bengals

3. Bullocks 2nd rd to Panthers

4. Roby 2nd rd to Ratbirds

4. Pouha 5th rd to Cowboys

5. Brooks 5th rd to Packers ahead of Bengals

6. Kinney 5th rd to Niners

7. Bergen 4th rd to Eagles

I'm rolling with:

1. Thomas Davis S/LB

2. Matt Jones WR/TE/QB

3. Jason Brown C

4. Alfred Fincher ILB

5. Brandon Jacobs RB/FB/TE

6. Calvin Armstrong LT

7. Kelvin Hayden CB

I love Castillo, but see us needing to take our C in round 2, which means Castillo is the odd man out....C being a bigger need than DT IMHO.

I just posted my DT positional analysis on the blog. Castillo may offer the best value of any of the DTs available on day one. Travis Johnson has too many questions and I'd rather see if we can grab Davis or Crowder in the first. Once we get to the third, you're looking at projects (Shropshire, Mosley) that aren't going to be able to contribute until the latter stages of the season. I say grab a DT in the second and get the C (Brown or Wilkerson) in the third.

My new 7 round optimal Bengals Draft

Emphasis on speed, character, smarts, and production as much as possible, with emphasis on superior athletes with less experience in later rounds, while addressing team needs

r1(17) DE David Pollack 6'2 270 4.79 Georgia http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...vidpollack.html

I haven't been a big fan of drafting a DE with the first pick all along. However, if that is their intent, I'd rather they go dangle the No. 17 in front of the Jets...John Abraham would look nice in stripes... B)

And yeah...word up here is that they're listening to trade offers; Abraham's been franchised but his injuries the last couple years have made the Jets reluctant to meet his price. (Reportedly, he's looking for a deal with $20 million in guarantees.) But even when hurt he puts up numbers in a few games that it takes our guys a whole season to manage (see http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5042 ) and he can play end in a 4-3 and LB in a 3-4.

Trade 17 down recieving late 1st round (#20-32) and late 2nd round pick

1. Channing Crowder MLB Florida

2. Best Safety Available- B.Pool, Shazor, J. Bullocks

2. Best Center Available- C.Spencer, J.Brown,

3. Best Run Stopping DT Avaiable- R. Fields or J. Babineux

4. Best WR or TE Avaiable- Craphonso Thorpe or Kevin Everett

5. Michael Munoz OT Tennesee

6. Best RB Available- A. Davis, TA McClendon, M. Clarett

7. Best Defensive Player Avaialble- maybe J. Goddard OLB/DE Marshall or Jim Leonhard S Wisconsin

1)David Pollack- DE-6-3 286 4.81 3 time all-american-117 QB pressures- '04 52 tackles 17 tackles for loss 12 sacks '03 92-13-7 '02 102-23-14

Best all-around DE can also play LB

2)Erick Shelton-RB 6-1 246 4.56 146 rushes for 938 yards and 20 TD

Unstoppable on short yardage -nose for the endzone-Bettis/Ickkey Woods type

averaged 6.42 Yards per carry more than Cedric Benson- # 2 in the nation in

TD's Deangelo Williams had 2 more TD on over twice the carries

3)O.J.Atogwe- FS-5-11 219 4.55 '03 90-8-2 6 Forced Fumbles '04 76-7-4

Big-Time Hitter -Fulcher Type-knack for turnovers-sure tackler-great character

4)Jason Brown C-6-3 313 5.49 Did not allow a sack the last 2 years -set school

weight lifting records the last 3 years. 775 lb squat 419 lb.power clean

5)Sione Pouha DT 6-3 325-5.03 '04 36-4-2 A massive space-eater run stuffer

6)Adam Seward ILB 6-3 248 4.63 '04 127-7-1 makes all defensive calls

7)Adam Bergan 6-5-256 4.84 1-AA Allamerican '03 70 catches for 840 and 6TD

'04 54 catches for 634 yds and 6 TD Stretches field - good hands-

2)Erick Shelton-RB 6-1 246 4.56 146 rushes for 938 yards and 20 TD

averaged 6.42 Yards per carry more than Cedric Benson- # 2 in the nation in

3)O.J.Atogwe- FS-5-11 219 4.55 '03 90-8-2 6 Forced Fumbles '04 76-7-4

4)Jason Brown C-6-3 313 5.49 Did not allow a sack the last 2 years -set school

5)Sione Pouha DT 6-3 325-5.03 '04 36-4-2 A massive space-eater run stuffer

6)Adam Seward ILB 6-3 248 4.63 '04 127-7-1 makes all defensive calls

7)Adam Bergan 6-5-256 4.84 1-AA Allamerican '03 70 catches for 840 and 6TD

'04 54 catches for 634 yds and 6 TD Stretches field - good hands-

You can't seriously be looking to grab a RB in the second round man.

Cmon dog.

That's hurting your credibilty as a draftnik.

Care to explain that move?

The Eric Shelton pick should go to another position of need. I do think we need to add a runningback, but we can do that later,

* Adam Seward ILB U.N.L.V. will go a lot higher than the 6th round. Probably late 2nd to first pick on Day 2. no later than that. Seward and Brimmer were the only two playing defense for the Runnin' Rebels last season. :lol:

2)Erick Shelton-RB 6-1 246  4.56  146 rushes for 938 yards and 20 TD

averaged  6.42 Yards per carry more than Cedric Benson- # 2 in the nation in

3)O.J.Atogwe- FS-5-11 219 4.55      '03 90-8-2  6 Forced Fumbles '04 76-7-4

4)Jason Brown C-6-3 313 5.49  Did not allow a sack the last 2 years -set school 

5)Sione Pouha DT 6-3 325-5.03  '04 36-4-2  A massive space-eater run stuffer

6)Adam Seward ILB 6-3 248 4.63  '04  127-7-1 makes all defensive calls

7)Adam Bergan 6-5-256 4.84    1-AA Allamerican  '03 70 catches for 840 and 6TD

'04 54 catches for 634 yds and 6 TD  Stretches field - good hands-

Cmon dog.

First of all he is too good to pass up on.Dallas loves him and may take him at round 2 and surely by 3. We dont even know if Perry will play and if he does if he will be any good.I cant think of any recent RB's from Micigan or Pen.St that have been worth a penny in the pros.There have been alot of first round picks but not much production.How many times have you seen the Bengals punt on 3rd and inches?Remember Pete Johnson? short yardage was automatic.Rudy broke a record for number of carries last year.You dont want to do that too often and Rudi was held under 100 yards quite a few games. If Rudi goes down can Perry carry the load?If we dont get this guy I bet the Steelers do.If everybody stays healthy we can trade one of the RB's.Shelton can play FB H-back RB TE? He had 6.42 yards per carry.Shelton had 20 TD on 146 carries Benson had 19 TD's on 326 carries,He has a nose the endzone and is hard to bring down.The Bengals were not abe to run toooften last yeat. .The Superbowl team had James Brooks,StanleyWilson,Ickey Woods,Stanford Jennings.

Brooks and Woods had 1,000 yards and the Wilson was the star of the play-offs.

Jennings ran back a Kick for a TD in the Superbowl.The odds of a team with two 1,000 yard rushers making the play-offs is verry high.

2)Erick Shelton-RB 6-1 246  4.56   146 rushes for 938 yards and 20 TD

averaged  6.42 Yards per carry more than Cedric Benson- # 2 in the nation in

3)O.J.Atogwe- FS-5-11 219 4.55      '03 90-8-2  6 Forced Fumbles '04 76-7-4

4)Jason Brown C-6-3 313 5.49   Did not allow a sack the last 2 years -set school 

5)Sione Pouha DT 6-3 325-5.03   '04 36-4-2  A massive space-eater run stuffer

6)Adam Seward ILB 6-3 248 4.63  '04  127-7-1 makes all defensive calls

7)Adam Bergan 6-5-256 4.84    1-AA Allamerican  '03 70 catches for 840 and 6TD

'04 54 catches for 634 yds and 6 TD  Stretches field - good hands-

Cmon dog.

First of all he is too good to pass up on.Dallas loves him and may take him at round 2 and surely by 3. We dont even know if Perry will play and if he does if he will be any good.I cant think of any recent RB's from Micigan or Pen.St that have been worth a penny in the pros.There have been alot of first round picks but not much production.How many times have you seen the Bengals punt on 3rd and inches?Remember Pete Johnson? short yardage was automatic.Rudy broke a record for number of carries last year.You dont want to do that too often and Rudi was held under 100 yards quite a few games. If Rudi goes down can Perry carry the load?If we dont get this guy I bet the Steelers do.If everybody stays healthy we can trade one of the RB's.Shelton can play FB H-back RB TE? He had 6.42 yards per carry.Shelton had 20 TD on 146 carries Benson had 19 TD's on 326 carries,He has a nose the endzone and is hard to bring down.The Bengals were not abe to run toooften last yeat. .The Superbowl team had James Brooks,StanleyWilson,Ickey Woods,Stanford Jennings.

Brooks and Woods had 1,000 yards and the Wilson was the star of the play-offs.

Jennings ran back a Kick for a TD in the Superbowl.The odds of a team with two 1,000 yard rushers making the play-offs is verry high.

I mean, that's all well and good, but honestly, we have more pressing issues than to select a RB with our 2nd round pick.

I'm not saying we shouldn't select one, but I wouldn't want a RB selected on the first day.

I can see us going for a extremely athletic RB (preferrably FB, in my opinion) in rounds 6 or 7, with Brandon Jacobs (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...ndonjacobs.html, check out the size to speed ratio - somehow I still like him despite that fact that he doesn't run a sub 4.2 40 *laff* - and think of him as a combo fullback and TE project) looking real good in that respect.

In round 2, we have far more pressing needs to address: either a top Center, Linebacker, or Safety.

I can see us going for a extremely athletic RB (preferrably FB, in my opinion) in rounds 6 or 7, with Brandon Jacobs (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...ndonjacobs.html, check out the size to speed ratio - somehow I still like him despite that fact that he doesn't run a sub 4.2 40 *laff* - and think of him as a combo fullback and TE project) looking real good in that respect.

Jacobs had confirmed visits w/ the Titans and Eagles and another set up w/ Vikes.

Of the teams that showed up at his Pro Day, the Bengals, Donkeys, and Jags worked him out at TE.

Jacobs can't be any less of a pass catching threat than Reggie Kelly and if he can show he can run TE routes and catch the ball at all, then he'd be at least what Tony Stewart is.

Plus, Jacobs would provide a real 3rd and short RB, a brutal change of pace back, and play FB if needed.

But IMO the Bengals have to use their 5th to get him.

Kill 4 or 5 birds w/ 1 stone, I say. B)