What do you think of the following mock draft:

1. Marcus Spears DE LSU

2. Ernest Shazor S Michigan

3. Jason Brown C UNC

4. Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

5. Lorenzo Alexander DT California

6. Jonathon Welsh OLB Wisconsin

7. Calvin Armstrong OT Washington State

THe first three I'd be real excited about, the other guys I don't know much about.

What do you think of the following mock draft:

1. Marcus Spears        DE    LSU

2. Ernest Shazor          S      Michigan

3. Jason Brown            C      UNC

4. Jerome Mathis        WR    Hampton

5. Lorenzo Alexander  DT    California

6. Jonathon Welsh        OLB  Wisconsin

7. Calvin Armstrong    OT    Washington State

I do NOT like Spears -- he is big, but slow and NOT consistent (read that as doesn't give effort most of the time.). Out of respect for Chris, our draft guru, I went back and rechecked Spears on tape in eight games. His best was the national championship game LSU vs Oklahoma, where he made 5 to 6 good plays -- including an interception for a TD. Then he disappeared in the game. May have been injuried. In most of the other games, the best he did was maybe 2-3 good plays. Most of the time he was a non factor. Spears might make better DT, but the Bengals just signed a better DT.

I'd rather have David Pollack as DE/OLB.

Love to have Shazor -- but if he's not there, I'd take Barrett Ruud LB or David Baas or Craphonso Thorpe (whichever is there)

As for centers, I like Chris Spencer better than Brown. Brown is a 5.55 (slowest of all the centers) in 40 @ 6'3" 313. While 40 time for a center is NOT the big decider, it does indicate to me that he lacks some quickness.

I love the draft -- everybody has their favorites and only SURE thing is that the Bengals will do something we did not expect. ;):P:D :player:

KEEP up the good work MARVIN!!!! ;)

I love Shaun Cody and would be ecstatic if the Bengals were able to get him.

I would also be happy with another safety or a center in the 1st two rounds.

Rest assured the Bengals are going to have to address the 0-line on both days - the center and guard positions, or a solid tackle who can play guard.

I would also be happy with another safety or a center in the 1st two rounds.

Rest assured the Bengals are going to have to address the 0-line on both days - the center and guard positions, or a solid tackle who can play guard.

I'm seriously hoping for Munoz in the 4th.

Round 1. DL Shaun Cody USC

Round 2. S Bullocks, Nicholson, or Shazor (ordered by pref)

Round 3. C Spencer or Wilkerson (ordered by pref)

Round 4. WR Terence Murphy Texas A&M

Round 5. OG CJ Brooks Maryland

Round 6. LB James Kinney OSU

Round 7. Top athlete (speed, durability, character top concerns) at this position, whoever that might be. Prefer a TE or someone who can long snap.

I think S Cody can be had a few picks later, so trading down to pick up an extra 3 or 4 would be nice. Might spend this extra pick on another OL, Punter, TE, or CB. The Arkansas QB would be great with this extra pick.

That's the guy I'm hoping for as well, but now I feel is doubtful because of the Robinson signing.

I'm seriously hoping for Munoz in the 4th.

SCOUTING REPORT on Michael Munoz

munoz_8302-lg.jpg

College: Tennessee

Height: 6-51/2

Position: Offensive Tackle

Weight: 306

Strengths:

Shows tremendous technique...Has great bloodlines...Is a team leader and great character player...Mature...Has good size and the frame to still get bigger...Is very experienced...Does all the little things and knows every trick in the book.

Weaknesses:

Durability is a major question mark...Has not developed into the dominating player most were expecting...May not have the killer instinct that all of the great ones possess...Not very explosive...Plays too high at times...May not have the athleticism and physical tools to handle the left tackle position in the pros.

Notes: Son of Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz, one of the best NFL offensive tackles of all time...Obviously he isn't the player his dad was but he has the tools to enjoy a fine career in the NFL...Health and durability will play a key role in where he is drafted.

- Scott Wright

It would be special for him to play here in Cincinnati where his father was a legend! :player:

It would be special, but could you imagine the pressure put on him ?? Whoa !!

WHODEY !!!

I think that no matter where he ends up in the league, he's going to feel some of that pressure. Of course it would be greatest in Cincinnati.

Cody or Pollack in 1, Shazor in 2, Brown or Wilkerson in 3...that would make me a happy man.

Cody or Pollack in 1, Ruud in 2, Brown or Wilkerson in 3...that would also make me a happy man.

D. Johnson in 1, Shazor in 2, Brown or Wilkerson in 3...I'll probably be having problems if I have to go to work, because I will be drunk. There's my ideal unrealistic draft situation.

Baas, Brown, and Roth all have good shots at decent NFL careers and could be gotten by Bengals by trading down.

Baas to me would be the top priority of the 3 because he can play center and is a smashmouth mfer who moves people off the line and outta the way. I can definitely see trading down to get Baas but the question is how far. The Pack is bound to take a long look at him at #24 and maybe trade down too if they want to get him.

The GBN mock does address the most pressing needs for Bengals -- DT/DE, LB, and SS. I'd rather see other players, though.

A vast improvement over their earlier mock but still a lot of reaches IMO.

Thomas Davis appears to have soured among mocksters based a lot on his 40 time at the combine. I doubt front offices do the same, but not running around 4.5 didn't help him either.

The GBN mock does address the most pressing needs for Bengals -- DT/DE, LB, and SS. I'd rather see other players, though.

A vast improvement over their earlier mock but still a lot of reaches IMO.

Thomas Davis appears to have soured among mocksters based a lot on his 40 time at the combine. I doubt front offices do the same, but not running around 4.5 didn't help him either.

I think Thomas Davis will be drafted by a team who sees him as a fast linebacker with good coverage skills.....

Revised list, ordered by pref within round

Once a given position is covered, picks at that position should then be avoided thereafter (ie no Babineaux if Cody or Merriman picked in round 1)

Round 1. DE S Merriman or DE/DT S Cody or WR T Williamson

Round 2. S J Bullocks or S B Pool (ML doesn't want a true SS, wants versatile S)

Round 3. C C Spencer or C B Wilkerson

Round 4. WR T Murphy or DE J Babineaux

Round 5. OG CJ Brooks

Round 6. LB James Kinney

Round 7. Top athlete (speed, durability, character top concerns) at this position, whoever that might be. Prefer a TE or someone who can long snap.

Trading down in any given round, particularly in round 1, would be a good thing.

Might spend this extra pick on another OL, Punter, TE, or CB. Arkansas QB Matt Jones would be great with an extra pick.