A-Train Rolls Thru Town???

HoosierCat

Update on A-Train & more from Hobson:

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2787

Bengals trying out options

3/4/2005 - 3-4-05, 6:45 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis promised his team would look at all options in free agency and he hasn’t disappointed after the first three days. On Friday, the Bengals brought in Pro Bowl middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and Bears running back Anthony Thomas. That was a day after they brought in Miami defensive lineman Bryan Robinson. Trotter and Robinson are in response to the run defense. Thomas is in response to their options regarding Rudi Johnson.

But they appear to be moving cautiously along a landscape on which two-thirds of the teams in the NFL haven’t signed a free-agent heading into the weekend.

Also Friday, wide receivers coach Hue Jackson said his take on the receiver position is if the season started tomorrow, T.J. Houshmandzadeh would be his No. 2 receiver, but that he’d have to keep it during the spring and summer camps in a field he hopes includes a healthy Peter Warrick.

Trotter, the Eagles middle linebacker, arrived in Cincinnati for a physical and then decided he should stay in Philadelphia. But the move that probably raised the most eyebrows is bringing in the 6-2, 230-pound Thomas. Although Johnson has yet to sign his franchise one-year tender of $6.3 million, he has already said he’ll play this season.

But just last week, Lewis wouldn’t rule out a trade in the Johnson situation that has 12 more days to play out. They can’t discuss a long-term deal with Johnson agent Peter Schaffer after March 16 until July 15.

Those long-term talks look to be at a stalemate in light of the Lamont Jordan contract. They are planning on having Johnson, Chris Perry, and Kenny Watson but what if someone came at them with something for Johnson in a trade?

“All we know is that they wanted him to come in and he enjoyed the visit,” said agent Tom Condon of Thomas. “He’s got three more places to go.”

Thomas was NFC Rookie of the Year in 2001 with 1,183 yards and followed that up with 1,024 in 2003, but he was relegated to No. 2 this past season when the Bears opted for the pass-catching skills of Thomas Jones. Thomas, whose career game came against the Bengals in 2001 with 188 yards, had lows of 122 carries and 404 yards in 2004.

Before the Bengals could trade Johnson, another team would have to reach a long-term deal with him.

Lewis turned to one of his more high-profile former players in free agency when he hosted Trotter. Trotter, who played for Lewis in 2002 in Washington, arrived in Cincinnati Friday after visiting the Chiefs. Trotter, who just turned 28, is a three-time Pro Bowler who excels against the run and was one of the driving forces in Philadelphia’s Super Bowl run this past year. During his visit to Cincinnati, Trotter professed to agent Jimmy Sexton his loyalty for the Eagles and took a five-year contract worth $15 million that included a signing bonus of $4 million.

Another former Lewis player, Texans linebacker Jamie Sharper, has been given permission to seek a trade, but his agent couldn’t be reached to be asked if he has contacted the Bengals.

Rick Smith, the agent for Robinson said his client had a “a good visit,” and he continues to talk to the Bengals, among others. . .

The Browns have signed former Bengals punter Kyle Richardson to a one-year deal, according to ESPN.com. Richardson, 32, kicked for the Bengals in the last 11 games of 2003 before missing all of last season with a torn bicep he suffered making a tackle in the preseason opener. . .

Jackson has been talking to Warrick and the position coach doesn’t know where those internet reports about Warrick being miffed by Houshmandzadeh’s contract are coming from.

“Peter’s fine,” Jackson said. “This is a very competitive room, but the main focus of it is winning. Peter knows the best guys are going to play no matter who is getting paid what. Right now, T.J. would be No. 2 because he had a great year and we’re not sure about Peter’s health. But T.J. has to keep playing the way he did and we want Peter to get back to where he was and be better. Bottom line is, there are plenty of balls to go around.”

and we’re not sure about Peter’s health.

Grrr why can't freakin' Hobson cover this situation and give the fans some facts about what the hell is going on with him exactly?

Why can't the Bengals just come out and tell people what happened last year? I hear 2 or 3 different stories every time I read something about it...but never from the Bengals, just innuendo and generalities.

well boys 'n girls it's been awhile. ^_^ glad to know all are alive 'n well. bengals. com shows stats on lamont jordan 'n rudi. topic is $'s they signed for vs stats. personally i think jordan's stats are better not even haven't started. look at receptions 'n yardage for receptions. lamont's worth it in a passing offense. with brat back as off. coach, i see us passing more :D 'n needing an rb w/ good hands to catch the ball. rudi may make it another year <_< . but a great sounding 'n seemingly solid package trade could be rj and pdub, that is, if anyone wants a wr :angry: that admitted he didn't even run the right patterns 2 yrs ago. so let's sit back, relax and see what happens. my preference: :D i wish them the same luck as t spikes. c ya boys :lol:

Why can't the Bengals just come out and tell people what happened last year? I hear 2 or 3 different stories every time I read something about it...but never from the Bengals, just innuendo and generalities.

It's all Clinton's fault.

(you're welcome, kirk! :P )

Specifically, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a.k.a HIPPA, the Clinton-era healthcare reform. I dimly recall Marvin citing it at some point early last season, in an Enquirer story, in relation to a player's injury (might have been Warrick's). Some of its provisions deal with "job-lock" due to a pre-existing medical condition. Basically, if your employer talks about some medical issue you have and that prevents you from getting hired elsewhere, they can get in trouble. Bottom line is, even if the Bengals were disposed to distribute medical info about their players, it's not allowed. I'll see if I can dig up the Lewis reference...

PS welcome back halp! B)

EDIT: Here ya go, from the Post:

http://www.cincypost.com/bengals/2004/beng10-12-2004.html

"We've known that it's been more than a bruise," said Lewis, citing the Health Insurance Portability and Privacy Act (HIPPA) of 1996. "That's not public knowledge. We're not able to talk about these guys' injuries to the public. There's a law against it; it's personal business. But he's been told exactly what he has wrong and right."
Edited by JoiseyCat

Hey there, I've been browsing through these forums for years and figured it was high time I joined.

Anyhow, this is the best news I've heard in weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love Rudi -- a solid football player and with a great attitude. He probably deserves his payday...just not from the Bengals. While Perry is unproven, we've already spent a first round pick on him, and like it or not Rudi is not the kind of dynamic player that simply cannot be replaced (ie Shawn Alexander, Portis, LT, etc.). A-Train would be a serviceable replacement, giving Chris Perry a chance to show what he can do while providing enough stability along with Watson to give us the decent running game we need to keep teams honest against what I think will be one of the finest passing attacks in the NFL next year. And 6.3 million is simply too much this year, a year that could be THE year if the Bengals buck up and sign/trade for at least one or two impact players in addition to another great ML draft.

So...I would absolutely love to see Rudi traded and A-train signed. Got to be realistic about what we might get -- maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder, which if nothing else could give us the flexibility to draft Spears or Travis Johnson in the first while trading up to the early 2nd or late 1st with our 2nd + traded-for pick to grab SHAZOR!! If we can pull this off, and maybe sign a Hartwell, Bell, etc. I say playoffs here we come. Oh, and there's no way we should get rid of Warrick! We won't get much in trade and if he's healthy we put out one of the best 3 wr sets in the NFL. Remember 2003? Chiefs game? 3rd downs? 2.2 mil or whatever isn't worth clearing unless we use it somewhere worthwhile, and if we drop Rudi's 6.3 we'll be just fine for a Hartwell or Bell. And... if we pick either one up, Hardy and his cap hit are as good as gone too.

BEST CASE SCENARIO:

Rudi to fins for 3rd rounder

Sign Ed Hartwell

Draft Spears or Johnson at 17, trade to late 1rst w/pick for rudi and grab Shazor, nab C Spencer or a TE (if an upgrade-worthy TE - not saying much - drops to us) in the 3rd.

Cut Hardy, Reggie Kelly

Sign Anthony Thomas

Big welcome to IckeyShuffler, our 1,001st member! B)

If Rudi gets traded I think we do better than a third, tho!

I'd be happy to keep Warrick. It's his year before FA so you know he'll be giving 120%. Heck, who needs an RB? Empty backfield, four wideout sets = The Greatest Show on FieldTurf! :player:

Specifically, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, a.k.a HIPPA, the Clinton-era healthcare reform. I dimly recall Marvin citing it at some point early last season, in an Enquirer story, in relation to a player's injury (might have been Warrick's). Some of its provisions deal with "job-lock" due to a pre-existing medical condition. Basically, if your employer talks about some medical issue you have and that prevents you from getting hired elsewhere, they can get in trouble. Bottom line is, even if the Bengals were disposed to distribute medical info about their players, it's not allowed. I'll see if I can dig up the Lewis reference...

Thanks for reminding me of HIPPA and them addressing that back then, something I should have remembered. It's funny how that applies so broadly to the NFL where players have to pass physicals any ways to be signed anywhere else, and injuries are a part of the game, but oh well, at least it's not a cover-up deal.

A-Train? Go figure :wacko:

A few scenarios come to mind:

1. Rudi is going to be traded.

* Doubtful to Eagles for Simon since Eagles made no bids for UFA DTs but they do have a solid 5-man DT rotation. Also doubtful to Eagles for 2nd rounder since they re-signed Correll Buckhalter but still possible because Reno Mahe is Westbrooks back-up and Dorsey Levens is ancient.

* Doubtful to Seahwaks for Shaun A because Rudi don't fit their offense w/ a RB who catches ball.

* Doubtful the Fins because of their salary cap situation. They'd be less likely to pay Rudi's price because their tight and even if they can't trade Surtain and have to release him, I'd say Saban goes for quantity signings to fill roster spots rather than big name. Plus they should take Ronnie Brown w/ 2nd pick.

2. Rudi is not going to sign and holdout.

* Better safe than sorry to have a RB who goes through camp and pre-season and is ready to play if and when Rudi decides to return during regular season.

3. Watson will be tendered an RFA offer that the Bengals won't match. If this happens, Perry will be the RB in pass situations and A-Train backs up Rudi.

4. Perry is physically messed up.

I just don't see the Bengals forking out any kind of money for A-Train to just come in for 3rd and short.

DontPushMe Posted on Mar 4 2005, 11:12 PM

I doubt we get a 1st DAY pick for rudi johnson. Probly a 4th.

we have to get a first this year and next. You have too, unless they work out some huge deal. It would be hard for a team to give that much away but they have to if they want that guy. I wouldn't do it If i was apart of team making the offer, it would be dumb to get rid of 2 first rounders for a running back who don't last long. You can use RB's for a year than get rid of them for new ones. It just wouldn't make sense. If it was a QB or CB it would be different

And the A-Train just keeps chuggin' along to interesting destinations, this time to...Seattle? According to the Tacoma News-Tribune:

The Seahawks are expected to meet with free-agent running back Anthony Thomas, who is seeking a more prominent role after playing behind Thomas Jones in Chicago.

Where next for Thomas, Indy? :lol:

I was also reminded of the wit and wisdom a police officer shared with me a little while back:

Alright, put your hands on your motherf**kin' head and move away from the car. I SAID MOVE AWAY FROM THE F**KIN' CAR! I'M NOT PLAYING WITH YOU, B**CH!

I don't know how this applies to the current situation, but I am sure it works in some context.

*This post was merely for comic effect. I have never been arrested, at least not that I remember*

After reading this threaad I was immediately reminded of the wit and wisdom a police officer shared with me long ago.

"Move along. Nothing to see here. Just keep moving. Nothing to look at.'

As the eloquent Adam Wuest said as Batman so many years ago, "Back to your lives, citizens."