Fin DL Robinson Coming to Visit

HoosierCat

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2783

Dolphins defensive lineman Bryan Robinson, who has started 95 NFL games as an end and tackle, became the first unrestricted free agent to visit the Bengals Thursday, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s web site.

With Jason Ferguson gone to Dallas and Pat Williams gone to Minnesota, the Bengals are looking at the best run-stopper left on the market in the 6-4, 296-pound Robinson, a seasoned eight-year veteran who has an excellent locker room reputation in their bid to shore up a defense that allowed nine 100-yard rushers last season.

The Bengals, who don’t confirm visits until they are completed, are digesting the $9 million hit of running back Rudi Johnson and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh that has put them near the salary cap and they appear to be moving cautiously in their next move.

Robinson, who turns 31 in June, has missed just one game in the last six seasons, and started 13 games last year for Miami’s No. 8 defense in the NFL. The Dolphins were one of six teams that finished below the Bengals defending the run, but it was a defense riddled by injuries.

He had four tackles in his first Miami start when the Bengals won the Sept. 19 Sunday night game at Paul Brown Stadium despite getting just 94 yards on the ground. Robinson also had 11 tackles in a 20-17 loss in Denver Dec. 12.

After starting all 16 games for a Bears’ defense that finished 14th in the NFL in 2003, Robinson hooked on with Miami after he was cut just before the season. He made his name in Chicago after playing a season with a Rams’ club that signed him as a free agent out of Fresno State. In 2001, he helped the Bears to the playoffs by leading the line with tackles and passes defenses.

Also Thursday, the agent for Bengals safety Anthony Mitchell thought his client would be headed back to Cincinnati soon. Mitchell, a favorite of head coach Marvin Lewis and special teams coach Darrin Simmons, finished third on special teams with 16 tackles.

"They like him and he likes it there," said George Mavrikes. "I don't expect there to be much of a problem there."

Never knew he existed until I read this article :lol:

Oh, don't worry. Should the Bengals sign him, you will know everything about him, his family, his car, his dog, his goldfish, his mother's car, dog, and goldfish, his third-grade match teacher, and his driving instructor (auto and golf) before Hobson is through.

And that'll only be the lead in to him telling us what an awesome signing it was! :lol:

I took a quick look at his stats, they're nothing to get excited about. He had a few good years in Chicago, hasn't done much lately.

Scouts, INC analysis of him:

"72---Insider Analysis Robinson plays with good leverage and he flashes the ability to hold up in two-gap situations. He has the upper body strength to maintain separation from offensive linemen, he uses his hands fairly well and he is capable of shedding blocks quickly. He plays with a good motor, he takes adequate angles to the ball and he is relentless in pursuit. He has the bulk to line up on inside, he is fast enough to line up at defensive end and he has good versatility. However, he is far more effective defending the run than he is rushing the passer and he isn't going to make a lot of big plays. As a pass rusher, he lacks ideal lateral mobility, he doesn't show a variety of pass rush moves and he doesn't run line stunts well. He isn't fast enough to turn the corner coming off the edge and he doesn't show great closing speed."

72 is not a bad grade at all from Scouts...for comparisons sake, they had TJ at 66...

If they get this guy, it's to add to their depth in the middle. I am fine with that. We can pretty much stop hoping for a huge splash in the rest of free agency at DT. The two names there got awfully expensive awfully quickly, and out of reach for the Bengals when they re-upped with TJ (a signing I support).

If they get this guy, it's to add to their depth in the middle. I am fine with that. We can pretty much stop hoping for a huge splash in the rest of free agency at DT.

Agreed. And I'm fine with Robinson if they sign him. I'm just lampooning Hobson's habit of turning every signing into The Greatest Signing Ever. :rolleyes:

Never knew he existed until I read this article :lol:

I hope this guy isn't Michael Bankston revisted. Never heard of him before he came here, never heard of him while he was here and never heard of him after he left.

Difference is that ML gets guys to fill roles...not ask them to be stars when they are not. If he goes after this guy, it's not b/c he thinks he is the missing piece to the run defense...

Robinson was talked about on this board some last year as a Bengal prospect when Bears cut him in pre-season IIRC. He had dropped about 20 pounds to try to fit with Lovie Smith's D but they cut him anyway and he signed with Fins for a 1yr $1 mill or so deal.

There's not much left on DT market who would be better than Robinson. Others DTs on market are Ron Edwards, Lance Legree, Luther Elliss, Corey Sears, Chris Hovan, Kevin Carter, Ed Jasper, Travis Hall..etc.

Isnt this the guy was trying to pick up a hooker, found out it was a transexaul and punched him/her out when he was in chicago with the bears??

Seems he broke his hand or something...

Playing ability is that he can be used to stop the run...situational DT..not much gas in the tank....cheap very cheap hopefully...

Hey congrats to the Patsies for winning another super bore. My question is WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU DOING HERE, BOTHERING US LOW-LIFES FOR FOOTBALL FANS,.. quite frankly, i'm surprised you're wasting your time here, when you could be using your time on another UP-SCALE FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD.

WHO DEY !!!!

Colts LB Rob Morris is also mentioned as a candidate for a visit.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/503040407

Friday, March 4, 2005

Former Dolphin pays visit to Bengals

Defensive tackle able to stop run game well

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

The lack of a free-agent signing Thursday did not mean the Bengals were not active.

The club is entertaining its first outside free-agent visitor in former Dolphins defensive tackle Bryan Robinson, his agent, Rick Smith, confirmed Thursday.

Robinson, an eight-year veteran, is a known run-stopper who could help the Bengals improve their 26th-ranked run defense (128.9 yards a game).

At 6-foot-4, 296 pounds, Robinson played six of his eight NFL seasons for the Chicago Bears. He played in all 16 games last season for Miami and registered 41 tackles. He has 17.5 career sacks.

Robinson would fit into a rotation at defensive tackle that includes John Thornton, Langston Moore and Duane Clemons. Second-year pro Matthias Askew also is expected to challenge for playing time in place of unrestricted free agent Tony Williams, who is unlikely to return to the Bengals.

Three top UFA defensive tackles are already off the market. Seth Payne re-signed with the Texans. Former Jets star Jason Ferguson went to Dallas and former Bills tackle Pat Williams signed with Minnesota.

The Bengals have yet to make a proposal to one of their own UFA defensive linemen, Carl Powell, agent Jerrold Colton said Thursday night.

"We're having ongoing conversations, but nothing is active," Colton said of the Bengals and Powell, the first free agent to sign with Bengals coach Marvin Lewis in March 2003. "Carl's not chomping at the bit to move. We have a couple of options."

A player whose options were taken away by the Bengals' use of the franchise tag, running back Rudi Johnson, had yet to sign the one-year, $6.3 million tender he has accepted.

"It's not in danger of him not signing," Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said. "We just have no confirmation that he has signed it yet."

The Bengals are in communication with another of their own unrestricted free agents.

Center Rich Braham is expected to return for at least one more season, which would be his 12th in the NFL. He suffered a small fracture in his leg in Game 13 at New England but started 10 games.

"I talked to Katie (Blackburn) today," agent Vern Sharbaugh said of the Bengals' executive vice president. "I think she'll get back to me in a couple of weeks. We're just waiting to see how Rich is. All indications are he'll be fine."

Another player on the team's radar is safety Anthony Mitchell, who had five defensive tackles and 16 special teams tackles in 12 games with the Bengals in 2004.

"He'd like to be back there; they want him back," agent George Mavrikes said of Mitchell, who played for Lewis in Baltimore in 2000 and 2001. "He's a good fit for them. We're talking to a couple of other teams, but I'm confident he'll be back in Cincinnati."

While the Bengals are expected to talk to some free-agent linebackers, they had yet to talk to agent Ethan Lock about former Colts linebacker Rob Morris as of Thursday afternoon.

Morris, one of five starters released by Indianapolis, plays middle linebacker. The Bengals might have concerns about the recovery of starting middle linebacker Nate Webster, who suffered a season-ending kneecap injury in the third game in 2004.

Isnt this the guy was trying to pick up a hooker, found out it was a transexaul and punched him/her out when he was in chicago with the bears??

Seems he broke his hand or something...

Wow, try explaining that one to the wife.

"It's nothing, baby. Seriously, the large cast makes it looks worse than it really is. What's that, how'd I hurt it? Well, I broke my hand on a hooker after being surprised by her penis. Happens all the time."

There's not much left on DT market who would be better than Robinson. Others DTs on market are Ron Edwards, Lance Legree, Luther Elliss, Corey Sears, Chris Hovan, Kevin Carter, Ed Jasper, Travis Hall..etc.

You can slice Legree off the list, Jets signed him today.

Hey congrats to the Patsies for winning another super bore. My question is WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU DOING HERE, BOTHERING US LOW-LIFES FOR FOOTBALL FANS,.. quite frankly, i'm surprised you're wasting your time here, when you could be using your time on another UP-SCALE FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD.

WHO DEY !!!!

:lol:

Im not a patriot fan, im a Corey Dillon fan. For some reason, people here cant tell the difference. My favorite football team is the Cincinnati Bengals, my favorite football player is Corey Dillon. 2 different things.

This guys sounds a lot like what we already have.

The "swinging gate" on the defensive line just got another plank on it. <_<

Is he an upgrade over Askew, or Thorton...296 lbs?? We need some mean 330 pounder who can stuff the middle of the line.

That, my knowlegable friend, would be called the latch that keeps the damn gate closed, so the leagues "Joe Blow" runningbacks won't be looking like Priest Holmes when they play the Bengals, and get only 30-50 yards versus everyone else! :angry: