TJ Signed

HoosierCat

per da site...

The Bengals struck in the first hours of free agency Wednesday when they agreed to a four-year deal that keeps wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh in Cincinnati with Pro Bowl running mate and college teammate Chad Johnson through 2008.

With Houshmandzadeh being pursued by division rivals Baltimore and Pittsburgh, agent David Dunn and Bengals director of business development Troy Blackburn worked into Tuesday night as free agency neared and then finalized a deal that figures to be worth about $3 million per year and heavy in first-year compensation.

There's more but no details yet...

per da site...
The Bengals struck in the first hours of free agency Wednesday when they agreed to a four-year deal that keeps wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh in Cincinnati with Pro Bowl running mate and college teammate Chad Johnson through 2008.

With Houshmandzadeh being pursued by division rivals Baltimore and Pittsburgh, agent David Dunn and Bengals director of business development Troy Blackburn worked into Tuesday night as free agency neared and then finalized a deal that figures to be worth about $3 million per year and heavy in first-year compensation.

There's more but no details yet...

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2782

T.J. in fold for four

3/2/2005 - 3-2-05, 6:50 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

“In the end, it wasn’t about the money, it was about being comfortable,” Houshmandzadeh said. “I think I could have got more on the market and yesterday at this time I thought I was going on the market.”

The Bengals also made calls Wednesday on free agents from other teams, such as Bills defensive tackle Pat Williams. But with Houshmandzadeh and running back Rudi Johnson probably adding up to about $9 million under the 2005 salary cap, the Bengals are tight. They look to be re-grouping in eschewing a blockbuster and seeing who slips through the early cracks into the mid- and lower levels.

Even though they kept one of their own, the Houshmandzadeh deal ranks as an important first day deal. He had been rated No. 26 on ESPN.com’s free-agent board. Plus, running back Rudi Johnson is also going to be on the field next year after saying he’ll accept the club’s one-year offer, which he is expected to sign Thursday for $6.3 million guaranteed.

Williams, 33, a big-time run stopper with close ties to Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, appears headed to Minnesota for a major deal the Bengals can’t do. Angelo Wright, Williams’ agent, said the Bengals called and offered to set up a visit but that Williams doesn’t plan to go on the road and is looking for a quick strike.

According to agents, the Bengals put out a lot of calls on the first day of free agency, but weren’t going particularly going hard in the wake of the Houshmandzadeh deal. A good example is Blackburn’s call to the St. Louis-based Harold Lewis regarding Ravens middle backer Edgerton Hartwell and Morlon Greenwood, the Dolphins’ versatile backer who can play all spots. Both are youthful four-year veterans, but, like Williams, they’re also looking at least $4 million per year.

“Troy wanted just to see where we were, but it was out of range,” Lewis said.

A NFL source said the club also made inquiries on a pair of Cleveland linebackers, Kevin Bentley, 25, a fourth-round draft pick in 2002 who can play all three spots, and Barry Gardiner, a seventh-year middle linebacker. That would also seem to indicate the Bengals are trolling the market looking for mid-to-lower level deals given their salary cap situation, and that there could some concern about the status of injured middle backers Nate Webster and Landon Johnson.

The oft-hurt Houshmandzadeh came into this season with 62 career catches for 720 yards and a touchdown. But he finally overcame injuries and stepped in place of the injured Peter Warrick to catch 73 balls for 978 yards that included 316 yards in back-to-back games against the stingy Ravens and Patriots.

It’s believed the deal also involves incentives and roster bonuses, but Houshmandzadeh’s cap number is still probably quite pricey. It is most likely in the $3 million per year range, given that No. 3 Colts receiver Brandon Stokley signed a five-year, $17.5 million deal near the end of last season.

If the Bengals had $14 million to spend in free agency as has been reported, then it’s down to about $2.5 million. Johnson and Houshmandzadeh in the fold account for about $9 million. Tender offers to four restricted free agents take up another $2.6 million. They also need about $3 million to sign their draft picks, but don’t need it until training camp. But they also need at least $1 million to re-sign center Rich Braham.

Keeping their own may be the theme of this offseason as opposed to signing some name free agents. After the 2006 season, the Bengals are faced with signing starting offensive linemen Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, and Eric Steinbach, as well as right end Justin Smith.

Any contract extension this year would free up some space in 2005, as well as get a head start on ’07. Terry Bolar, agent for the two-time Pro Bowl Anderson, met with Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn last week at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis and said they had some good discussions.

There have apparently been no extension talks with Jones and Steinbach.

There clearly is going to be a big number for tackles. In the past week, some Pro Bowlers, as well as nondescript tackles have gotten big money. Highly-regarded left tackles Walter Jones and Chris Samuels each got $16 million in signing bonuses. Fourth-year right tackle Ryan Diem, a fourth-round pick, just got $12 million to sign from the Colts.

Williams, 33, a big-time run stopper with close ties to Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, appears headed to Minnesota for a major deal the Bengals can’t do.

:lol: I think when Hobson calls a Bengals defensive lineman Williams a "big-time run stopper", he's surely using it in a relative way.

I feel when your team was ranked as poorly as our Bengals were in run defense, there simply aren't any "big-time run stoppers!" There may be some "dabblers" and some "near-do-wells" on the roster, but no "big-timers" at all.

Honestly it's probably Hobsons nice way of saying he doesn't muster up too much pressure on the QB in a pass rush, so he basically sits on the run every play. :lol:

Here's the sportsticker version, has a few quotes from Marvin & TJ...

Bengals re-sign WR Houshmandzadeh

March 2, 2005CINCINNATI, Ohio (Ticker) - The Cincinnati Bengals will have one of their key offensive players back in the fold for the next four years.

The Bengals have re-signed receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to a four-year deal, the team announced Wednesday.

The 6-1 Houshmandzadeh had 73 catches - the seventh-most in team history - for 978 yards and four touchdowns in 2004, his fourth in the league.

"T.J.'s signing gives us some of the continuity that leads to improving our team," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "T.J. should be commended for his role in the negotiations, and for his commitment to wanting to be a part of the Cincinnati Bengals.

"It was tempting to get out and really test the water as a free agent, but in my heart, what I wanted was to be in Cincinnati," Houshmandzadeh said. "I told my agents that, and we were able to get a good deal done. I'm glad to have it all off my mind so I can start getting focused. I think the Bengals are going to have a great season, and I want to be a part of it."

i like the tj sign but the 3 million per year does seem kinda steep

with a long term rudi deal and a restructered willie contract i do think we will have the money to do some more in free agency as far as defense goes

tj and pdub are gonna have one hell of a battle at training camp for the #2 spot, im excited for that, it'll make them boht better in the end

I have to agree, T.J. getting $ 3 mil a year is like Charlie finding that damn golden ticket. ^_^

Someone has to explain to me why we pay a guy like T.J. ( one year wonder ) that much money!

Looks as though June 1st cuts are going to be pretty interesting. Hardy, or P-dub ?

Maybe Nate Webster ??

Hobson updated the bengals.com piece with some contract details (allegedly cribbed from espn): the deal apparently has about $5 million in first-year compensation (signing bonus + 1st year salary) and a total value of about $13 million. Which is just what I figured (hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then :lol:). So it's probably about a $4 million signing bonus and salaries in the 1, 2, 3, 3 range.

From a cap point of view that's very favorable. A $2 million hit in 04, in 05 it's a wash whether we cut him or keep him, and beyond that if he goes it frees up space.

I have to agree, T.J. getting $ 3 mil a year is like Charlie finding that damn golden ticket. ^_^

Yeah, I'm sure TJ's sucking down a few Fizzy Lifting Drinks tonight. :D

I don't begrudge him the payday, tho. He's made less than $1.5 million total over the last four years, and at 27 this was probably his last shot at anything resembling big money. And even if he stays the whole next four years -- which would by definition mean he continues to play at a high level -- it will have cost the Bengals a total of $14.5 million over 8 years.

1. TJ is a good guy

2. TJ has made himself into a pro's pro receiver

3. TJ complements what Chad and Warrick do

4. TJ knows the offense inside and out

The price was steep, but not horrific. What this means is the Bengals offense this off-season can simply focus on getting better, without any questions lingering over adding in key new parts. It has been a LONG time since that was the case.

Matter of fact, how long as it been? Anyone? I think it has been since the 1988, 89 and 90 seasons that the Bengals have had a core in place on offense that stayed together without major change.

A hallmark of the decade of futility was major change on offense, it seemed that each year someone key was new at either WR, RB or QB.

I am interested in how much of a difference it is going to make in the Bengals getting off to a faster start next year because of this. I think it will help a ton.

Plus, the lesson for the remaining Bengals is this...work hard and the team will reward you. Nice lesson. Still kinda new.

And, no acrimonious negotiations or bad feelings, something that was definitely a hallmark of the negotiations in the decade of futility.

Now, if they could just find some money for Kendrall Bell...

I've been thinking the exact same thing membengal. Since I've seen that the Giants signed Pierce(Washington) I hope we make a run for Bell. We'd have to cross our fingers from an injury standpoint, but the reward could be plenitful, and don't forget to save enough money for Braham

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../503030381/1066

Thursday, March 3, 2005

Houshmandzadeh stays put

Free-agent receiver signs four-year deal with Bengals

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a favorite target of Carson Palmer's in 2004, will work with the quarterback for at least four more seasons.

The free-agent wide receiver signed a four-year contract worth $13 million Wednesday to remain with the Bengals.

Houshmandzadeh, a four-year veteran who caught 73 passes for 978 yards in 2004, was expected to hit the open market Wednesday, the first day of free agency.

"It was tempting to get out and really test the water as a free agent, but in my heart, what I wanted was to be in Cincinnati," Houshmandzadeh said. "I told my agents that, and we were able to get a good deal done. I'm glad to have it all off my mind so I can start getting focused. I think the Bengals are going to have a great season, and I want to be a part of it."

He set a Bengals record with 22 receptions in consecutive games. He had 10 on Dec. 5 at Baltimore and 12 on Dec. 12 at New England. His 12 catches against the Patriots were one short of the team's single-game record, and his yardage total of 316 against the Ravens and Patriots was second most in consecutive games in franchise history.

The Bengals also talked to former Titans receiver Derrick Mason, who signed a five-year contract Wednesday with the Baltimore Ravens.

Houshmandzadeh emerged as the team's second receiver in 2004 after Peter Warrick was lost to leg injuries. Houshmandzadeh started 13 games, playing in all 16, after a lost 2003 season. A hamstring injury limited him to two games with no catches.

Houshmandzadeh and Oregon State teammate Chad Johnson had the most yards (2,252) in a season by any Bengals receiving duo.

"Me and Chad, going to the same college and starting, and starting on the same team in the NFL, it feels cool," Houshmandzadeh said.

And with 168 combined catches, they were one short of the club's tandem record.

"T.J.'s signing gives us some of the continuity that leads to improving our team," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "T.J. should be commended for his role in the negotiations, and for his commitment to wanting to be a part of the Cincinnati Bengals."

Said Houshmandzadeh: "I made a point of letting them know I wanted to be there."

A healthy Warrick, coupled with Houshmandzadeh's new contract and Johnson's second consecutive Pro Bowl season, gives the Bengals one of the deepest receiving groups in the AFC.

"T.J. proved last year that he could be a reliable weapon in our offense," Lewis said. "He made plays in critical situations for us throughout the season."

Houshmandzadeh was buoyed by news that tailback Rudi Johnson was expected to sign his one-year tender as the team's franchise player.

Houshmandzadeh also talked Wednesday night to Warrick on the phone.

"It's a blessing," Houshmandzadeh said. "Every year, everyone thought I was going to get cut. And the only year that was a real possibility was my third year. But Coach Lew kept me on the team because he thought I could play."

He wants to be part of the revival of the Bengals, who haven't made the playoffs since 1990.

"Cincinnati always had players who left and developed," Houshmandzadeh said. "We've got Rudi for at least one more year, hopefully more. Chad and Carson are ready to take over the NFL.

"At the end of the day, maybe I could have made more money someplace else. But how much more money is worth it?

"You just don't leave a situation like this one."

How does that "veteran cap break" work, btw?

Old Clayton article that goes through it:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1210115.html

Basically expect Richie to sign a minimum salary deal. That was $750k for his years of experience back in '02, when the story above was written. I think it was $950k last year, at least that's what Braham signed for then. So it'll be around a million this year, just like last, but he'll only count about half that against the cap.

In case you're really, really, really bored, you can find way more cap info than you ever wanted to know here:

http://www.patscap.com/capsources.html

If they lose Rudi and Warrick and rely on draft picks and Perry to replace them, then this is a terrible signing.

Well, if Warrick went they wouldn't have to rely on draft picks, you have Chad, TJ and k-wash. Depth would be a big question mark, tho.

If they were to trade Rudi, I would much rather see them make a player-for-player exchange (say, trading Philly Rudi for Simon, or something like that, feel free to insert your own team/player of choice).

However, at this point I believe a Rudi trade remains impossible because he has not yet signed the franchise tender, despite his promise to do so.

I suspect that after the Jordan signing -- which did nothing to make his demands look unreasonable -- he's hoping the Bengals will capitulate to his demands, or release him to seek his fortune elsewhere. If he signed the tender, that would give the Bengals the trade option, and arguably that reduces his leverage...

Hobson updated the bengals.com piece with some contract details (allegedly cribbed from espn): the deal apparently has about $5 million in first-year compensation (signing bonus + 1st year salary) and a total value of about $13 million. Which is just what I figured (hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then :lol:). So it's probably about a $4 million signing bonus and salaries in the 1, 2, 3, 3 range.

From a cap point of view that's very favorable. A $2 million hit in 04, in 05 it's a wash whether we cut him or keep him, and beyond that if he goes it frees up space.

those numbers, if you're right, really aren't so bad. I was thinking he was seeking a salary that worked out to about $3.5 mil per and a nice signing bonus besides, which of course would be too much. But I think this is a pretty good deal for the Bengals :D .

Williams, 33, a big-time run stopper with close ties to Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, appears headed to Minnesota for a major deal the Bengals can’t do.

:lol: I think when Hobson calls a Bengals defensive lineman Williams a "big-time run stopper", he's surely using it in a relative way.

I feel when your team was ranked as poorly as our Bengals were in run defense, there simply aren't any "big-time run stoppers!" There may be some "dabblers" and some "near-do-wells" on the roster, but no "big-timers" at all.

Honestly it's probably Hobsons nice way of saying he doesn't muster up too much pressure on the QB in a pass rush, so he basically sits on the run every play. :lol:

Billy, as much as I hate to correct such a great man as yourself, I thought you might be relieved by this:

Buffalo DT Williams to Vikings

Why do you give that much money to a ONE YEAR WONDER? This just doesnt make sense to me and i dont blame Washington and Warrick wanting out because of it. WHen you commit to defense you commit to it, you dont blow your money on a player like TJ. I love the guy, hes a good man, but honestly would you rather have Pat Williams or Jason Ferguson(big run stuffers) or TJ, a one year wonder. If He doesnt have a PRO BOWL season this year i will be extremley dissapointed. ML has really let me down with this off-season so far. He better do good in the Draft. :angry:

If you don't pay your own players for performing how do you get free agents to be interested. I believe we made calls to both guys, and they wanted way more than the Bengals could afford. Free agency is over rated anyway. Look at all those high price guys that visited last year(Taylor, Vincent, Sapp, Gardener, etc) NONE, I repeat, NONE even came close to earning their contracts. You build your team through the draft and retaining the players that have performed for you