College Hoops

The Brew Man

Basketball season kind of gives me a sports break. I'm a huge baseball and football fan and with all of the stats and constant games floating around the world, you really never get a break. So when football finishes, I kind of sit back and relax for a month or so before spring training begins in baseball.

But I do take in the occassional UC game, I pull for them the most just because they are the hometown team.

C-A-T-S! Cats! Cats! Cats! Of course, all my basketball energy goes for UK, but I cheer for the mid-major teams, especially those from the MAC when it's tourney time in the spring. Of the teams in MAC, I have the closest allegiance Miami and Marshall, but any of those little guys who can knock off a Big Ten or ACC power is fine in my book.

Let's not forget about UC, I mean look at the teams they beat:

Akron - They beat Radford, Hampton, James Madison and Duquesne. Only team in the nation to claim that notion.

Oakland - Always in the top 10.

Coppin State - They are the Saint of all Eagles!

Valparaiso - most underrated team in the county!

Clemson - If it wasn't for a peasky 23 points, the Tigers would be right in this one.

This schedule has to be the toughest one yet and why UC isn't number one still has me writing letters to the AP about their fallacy.

Polls really don't mean anything. Unlike football, there is a definite national champion at the end of the year and many times it's not the team you except. If basketball were like football, Kentucky and Arizona would have been in the title game, but neither got to the final four. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir....

What matters isn't our ranking, it's that we crushed a pathetic Indiana team on Saturday. I wonder how bad the beatdown would have been had UK not committed so many turnovers in the first half.

Let's not forget about UC, I mean look at the teams they beat:

Akron - They beat Radford, Hampton, James Madison and Duquesne. Only team in the nation to claim that notion.

Oakland - Always in the top 10.

Coppin State - They are the Saint of all Eagles!

Valparaiso - most underrated team in the county!

Clemson - If it wasn't for a peasky 23 points, the Tigers would be right in this one.

This schedule has to be the toughest one yet and why UC isn't number one still has me writing letters to the AP about their fallacy.

:D

• 5 weeks later...

Even though I'm a Kentucky Wildcat fan from birth, I must admit the Conference USA is damn strong!! Both U.C. and Louisville head up this contingient of strong and deep teams that rival the SEC in every way. I can't wait until March Madness sets in! These two conferences are going to represent themselves quite well!! (It also means the Bengals training camp opening is right around the corner!!) :D

I wish I could agree with you Billy, but once UC gets into the tournament they'll win the first game and then lose. It's just their fate, they do it every year.. I'm a UC fan, but tired of their year in and out shenanigans

Im a life long UC fan. And everyone I know likes uk. The Cats look so strong during the season because the toughest games they play are confrence games. Take uk, Louisville, Mich. St., teams that play a rough non-confrence scedule. Theyve been tested all year long. We need to play ouhter top 10 schools all year to give our players big game experience. Maybe when we take over the Big East, Hugs will take on anyone anywhere. GO BEARCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never remember UC having much of a non-conference schedule. Looking at their schedule this year, I see one and only one big non-conference game -- at Wake Forest on 2/15. That kind of schedule just doesn't cut it come tournament time. A lot of the game is mental and how can you get ready for a big game at season's end when you've only had a couple big games during the season? It's a hard hurdle to clear. UC is really doing itself a great disservice with such an easy non-conference schedule. They can always bolster that schedule by starting a home-and-home series with UK.... :lol:

Ive been a Kentucky ever since Jamal Mashburn and Travis Ford...That's pretty hard considering im from NY....Cant geet to to many UK games :D

You don't have to attend the games to back the "Big Blue"! Who'd a thunk it!?! A UK fan in the Big Apple!! I hate to bring this up, but March Madness is bearing down on us! It's going to be a great tourney I can feel it already! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad we have so many UK fans here. It was great reading the posts and looking at the dates. Some teams have had some ups and downs. At one time Uof L looked unbeatable and UC even looked good. I don't think you can say we have a clear cut fave(even with 2 unbeaten teams). I do know one thing. It's March and my boys will be rising to the top and looking for title # 8! ;)

I do know one thing. It's March and my boys will be rising to the top and looking for title # 8! ;)

You know we're regulars in the sweet sixteen! And no strangers to the final four either! Kentucky beat LSU last weekend, and won the SEC East! Again!

C'mon March Madness, and Go Big Blue!!!

Well Im from Dayton, so I like them....although they got MOIDERED last year by Tulsa (their ranking was WAY too high) I like the Bearcats too, been a fan for quite a while....they just always always choke in the tourney....their ONE year to win it was spoiled because of K-Mart's broken leg....but its either those two, I like UCONN too, Okafor is a beast on the boards and blocked shots

C-A-T-S! Cats! Cats! Cats! Of course, all my basketball energy goes for UK, but I cheer for the mid-major teams, especially those from the MAC when it's tourney time in the spring. Of the teams in MAC, I have the closest allegiance Miami and Marshall, but any of those little guys who can knock off a Big Ten or ACC power is fine in my book.

:lol: I go to a MAC school...(OHIO) and I can tell you right now....you ain't seeing us (Bobcats) in the BIG DANCE and you aint gonna see us (MAC) upset NOBODY this year..... :lol:

I go to a MAC school...(OHIO) and I can tell you right now....you ain't seeing us (Bobcats) in the BIG DANCE and you aint gonna see us (MAC) upset NOBODY this year..... :lol:

I dunno about that last statement. It seems when you least expect it from them...THAT'S when they give you upsets!! I'll be keeping an eye on any of them who make the dance! B)