Nuxhall among Frick Award finalists

Kirkendall

Check out this article on MLB.com, this is fantastic and well deserved.

CINCINNATI -- People in Reds country have long known of Joe Nuxhall's popularity. Now, everybody in baseball is aware of it.

Nuxhall was one of 10 finalists named Thursday by baseball's Hall of Fame for the 2004 Ford C. Frick Award, given annually to honor broadcasting excellence. Moreover, Nuxhall was among three finalists selected by fans in online voting. "The Ol' Left-hander" received 12,507 votes from more than 105,000 cast to join ex-Giants and A's announcer Lon Simmons (34,705 votes) and Seattle broadcaster Dave Niehaus (13,044) among the fans' choices.

"That's the real honor of it," Nuxhall said. "The fans are the ones who got me there. You can't thank them enough. You'd almost like to go around shaking every one of their hands."

The other seven finalists, who were chosen by a Hall of Fame research committee, are Ken Coleman, Gene Elston, Jack Graney, France Laux, Graham McNamee, Hal Totten and Ty Tyson. Coleman's 35-year career included five seasons (1975-79) on Reds television broadcasts.

Nuxhall and Niehaus are the only active broadcasters among the remaining candidates, who were selected from more than 160 eligible for consideration.

"You're proud to have your name associated with it. To have this happen is a quite an honor," Nuxhall said. "It's a great honor even if (I don't win)."

Under terms of a two-year contract extension he signed last year, Nuxhall will cut back his announcing schedule to 60 games in 2004, his final season. He recently said he hopes to ask chief operating officer John Allen to expand his workload, which could allow him to make the Reds' first trip to Seattle's Safeco Field and visit the new ballparks opening in Philadelphia and San Diego.

Nuxhall entrenched himself in baseball lore by pitching for the Reds against the St. Louis Cardinals on June 10, 1944, making him the youngest man to appear in a Major League game at 15 years, 10 months and 11 days. He proceeded to compile a 135-117 record over 16 seasons. Nuxhall has displayed similar durability as an announcer, providing play-by-play and analysis on Reds broadcasts since 1967.

Nuxhall's signature signoff, "Rounding third and heading for home," is emblazoned permanently along the left-field exterior of Great American Ball Park, the Reds' home.

Nuxhall, 75, recently underwent four chemotherapy treatments to suppress a non-Hodgkins lymphoma and believes the disease was caught in its early stages. He also has overcome prostate cancer and a Dec. 2001 heart attack.

Results of voting by the 20-member Frick committee will be announced in February. The winner will be honored during Hall of Fame Weekend, July 24-26 in Cooperstown, N.Y. The Frick Award, presented annually since 1978, is named in memory of Hall of Famer Ford C. Frick, renowned sportswriter, radio broadcaster, National League president and baseball commissioner.

I agree, he's awsome and one of the most beloved sports figures in Cincy. Not only is he easy to listen to, unlike the over-opinionated color guys out there, but he's a true gentleman. This season begins his first of the 60 game schedule but he put in a request to get more time as the Reds will hit some new ballparks.

I am really concerned about the new guy though. How sweet would it be if Joe Morgan did the Reds games on the radio opposite of Nuxie? But I know that would never happen.

I agree, he's awsome and one of the most beloved sports figures in Cincy. Not only is he easy to listen to, unlike the over-opinionated color guys out there, but he's a true gentleman. This season begins his first of the 60 game schedule but he put in a request to get more time as the Reds will hit some new ballparks.

I am really concerned about the new guy though. How sweet would it be if Joe Morgan did the Reds games on the radio opposite of Nuxie? But I know that would never happen.

I would love to have Morgan, but hes too "bigtime" imo to take that job. I just hope we dont get someone like Chris Welsh or Dan Hoard..... :angry:

I would love to have Morgan, but hes too "bigtime" imo to take that job. I just hope we dont get someone like Chris Welsh or Dan Hoard

Amen brother! Amen. I remember hearing Tom Browning one day and he seemed pretty much in the know. But I guess we also have to consider who would work well with Marty. And Chris Welsh and Marty would argue a few times, they are both too bull headed. The difference is that Marty makes sense and Chris is reading a 15 page advertising page about JTMs and Home City Ice, arg!!