In just over 30 something days

BengalszoneBilly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just 17 days until DAYTONA!! I'm sorry...it just felt so good to type that out!

What's even better is that there is racing the weekend after the Super Bowl!! The best cure there is for fighting "No Football Depression!" B)

Yea, they are carrying it from 12pm-7pm on Sat, then 8pm-11pm. Then they are airing the conclusion from 8:30am-12:30pm.

Billy, minus 3 hours per hour listed above. You know, since you and Boobster live in the 'zona!

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- With six previous starts in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Terry Labonte has the most experience of the nine NASCAR Nextel Cup Series drivers participating in this weekend's running of America's most prestigious sports car race.

However, plenty has changed in sports car racing since Labonte last ran in the Rolex 24 in 1987.

"I think it's a lot more competitive now with all these Daytona Prototype cars here," said Labonte, who won the GTO class in the event in 1984. "I was real impressed with how close all the times were in qualifying. It's neat. The cars are awesome, and we're going to have a lot of fun here.

"The car is very complicated, and I'm still finding new things on it," said Labonte, who will run a limited Cup schedule in 2005 and '06. "It's a lot different car than we're used to driving. It's got a lot of different options -- you can adjust the steering and traction control, and things like that. The shifting is probably the biggest difference from the cars I'm used to driving. That's taking some adjustment."

This will also be the first opportunity for the two-time NASCAR champion to team with his brother, Bobby.

"This is the first time we've been on the same team," Terry Labonte said. "This is actually Bobby's first road race of any kind."

"I only got in three laps before they had a black flag and ended my session," Bobby Labonte said. "We'll get plenty of laps [saturday] and Sunday morning. I wouldn't feel good about my lack of track time if this was a two-hour race, but being a 24-hour race, at least we've got time to work on things."

The Labontes will share the wheel of the No. 44 Lista Pontiac Doran with IRL IndyCar Series regular Bryan Herta and sports car veteran Jan Magnussen.

Tony Stewart needed only a few laps to get up to speed in the No. 20 CITGO Pontiac Crawford he will share with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers. Stewart came only 17 minutes from winning the 2004 Rolex 24, when he was teamed with Wallace and Dale Earnhardt Jr., and teamed with Lammers in his Rolex 24 debut in 2002.

Reigning Cup champion Kurt Busch will join 2003 champ Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle in the No. 49 Crown Royal Ford Multimatic, along with sports car veteran Scott Maxwell.

Also competing from the Nextel Cup Series ranks are a pair of Ganassi Racing drivers. Jamie McMurray's New Century Mortgage Lexus Riley will start fourth, qualified by Stefan Johansson, while Casey Mears will start fifth in the Target Lexus Riley qualified by Scott Dixon.

Yea, they are carrying it from 12pm-7pm on Sat, then 8pm-11pm. Then they are airing the conclusion from 8:30am-12:30pm.

Billy, minus 3 hours per hour listed above. You know, since you and Boobster live in the 'zona!

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- With six previous starts in the Rolex 24 At Daytona, Terry Labonte has the most experience of the nine NASCAR Nextel Cup Series drivers participating in this weekend's running of America's most prestigious sports car race.

However, plenty has changed in sports car racing since Labonte last ran in the Rolex 24 in 1987.

"I think it's a lot more competitive now with all these Daytona Prototype cars here," said Labonte, who won the GTO class in the event in 1984. "I was real impressed with how close all the times were in qualifying. It's neat. The cars are awesome, and we're going to have a lot of fun here.

"The car is very complicated, and I'm still finding new things on it," said Labonte, who will run a limited Cup schedule in 2005 and '06. "It's a lot different car than we're used to driving. It's got a lot of different options -- you can adjust the steering and traction control, and things like that. The shifting is probably the biggest difference from the cars I'm used to driving. That's taking some adjustment."

This will also be the first opportunity for the two-time NASCAR champion to team with his brother, Bobby.

"This is the first time we've been on the same team," Terry Labonte said. "This is actually Bobby's first road race of any kind."

"I only got in three laps before they had a black flag and ended my session," Bobby Labonte said. "We'll get plenty of laps [saturday] and Sunday morning. I wouldn't feel good about my lack of track time if this was a two-hour race, but being a 24-hour race, at least we've got time to work on things."

The Labontes will share the wheel of the No. 44 Lista Pontiac Doran with IRL IndyCar Series regular Bryan Herta and sports car veteran Jan Magnussen.

Tony Stewart needed only a few laps to get up to speed in the No. 20 CITGO Pontiac Crawford he will share with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers. Stewart came only 17 minutes from winning the 2004 Rolex 24, when he was teamed with Wallace and Dale Earnhardt Jr., and teamed with Lammers in his Rolex 24 debut in 2002.

Reigning Cup champion Kurt Busch will join 2003 champ Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle in the No. 49 Crown Royal Ford Multimatic, along with sports car veteran Scott Maxwell.

Also competing from the Nextel Cup Series ranks are a pair of Ganassi Racing drivers. Jamie McMurray's New Century Mortgage Lexus Riley will start fourth, qualified by Stefan Johansson, while Casey Mears will start fifth in the Target Lexus Riley qualified by Scott Dixon.

I missed it guy's. I don't get the Speed channel on my cable package. :(

Don't worry. You really didn't miss anything. I ended up putting it on the tube if nothing else was on strictly as a background noise type deal.

So what you're saying to me is: "That if it ain't Nacar, it ain't 'nuthin'!"

I can relate to that! :rolleyes:

I think everytime Tony was in the car it got to the lead.

From the article I read on "Nascar.com", he handed the car over with a substantial lead, but they lost it on some mechanical problems later, and had to rally back to finish where they did.

...and yes, the Nascar boys did show very well against the drivers from these alleged "superior" racing series. Move over Formula 1...you guy's ain't got s**t on nobody around here! Snobby chumps! :angry: