In just over 30 something days

BengalszoneBilly

I like Dale Jr.

040215_earnhardt_vmed5p.vmedium.jpg

I like Kenseth too...he`d be awesome if he drove a CHEVY !!!!! :P

Hey WHO DEY AGAIN! You got a buddy on board! ^_^ If we indeed do a "Fantasy Nascar" deal, you two may have to flip a coin for Junior, oldschooler!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've got enough redneck in me to play!

Well that USED to be all it took, (and it's still sufficient) but Nascar is really serious about "diversifying" itself, as well as it's fans. They've made moves towards racing in metro New York City, hired Magic Johnson as a consultant for bringing minorities into the sport, (still really lacking here though.) and even introduced some top Japanese and Brazilian drivers to a few teams, who then sponsored them in races.

What used to be "Billy Joe Bob's" moonshine inspired southeastern U.S. racing series is now simply becoming America's racing! The open wheel racing series like CART and IndyCar can't begin to compete for fans. (mostly due to their own infighting) Formula One? Forgettaboutit! They can't even keep a Grand Prix race going smooth in the states! It's just too snobby, or "elitist" for main steam Americans it seems. I'll watch it, but not if there's a Nascar race on too! That's why I have three TV's in my living room! On Sundays I've got football on 2 sets, and the race on the third!

When I first started watching Nascar races, it was in the early '80's, and the "Pseudo-Sport" (No...not even I consider it a sport such as football. But the drivers and pit crews do weight train and stay in pretty good condition because of the stamina required) resembled nothing like what it is today. The only race to MAYBE be televised was the Daytona 500, or the Coca-Cola 600. That was it. Today not only is every race in all three series televised, usually so too is the qualifying sessions for those races! It's television ratings trail only the NFL in popularity! I doubt if it will ever eclipse it, but it will be a strong #2, and will only get stronger.

It's growth has been huge, and I suspect it will continue to be. It's not because we have so many more "rednecks", it's because Nascar appealing to a vastly wider audience than ever before. Even the members here who personally don't like racing, (probably no more than just a few guys :rolleyes: ) still probably know who Dale Earnhardt Junior, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon is. I suspect in another 5 to 10 years they too may have a favorite driver...who may even be female...who may even be black! I mean if Venus and Serena Williams can emerge to dominate women's tennis, then who's to say something similar is not possible in Nascar?

At the rate Nascar is evolving, nothing would surprise me anymore...not even Semiotter suddenly having Nascar be "happening" for him too! Then again, it is a aquirred taste, and not everyone is going to like it. Hell, I heard there are even some folks that DON'T LIKE FOOTBALL!! :o Go figure. :lol:

I knew this would get Billy rolling. :lol:

Today not only is every race in all three series televised, usually so too is the qualifying sessions for those races!

And happy hour (final practice) is always shown. Also, on Speed they show the Arca and Modified races also -- lesser than Nextel, Busch, or Craftsman -- yet still cool b/c you have young drivers vying for a spot in the big show and race accordingly.

They've made moves towards racing in metro New York City, hired Magic Johnson as a consultant for bringing minorities into the sport, (still really lacking here though.)

Let's not forget Reggie White who was also apart of the diversity program. I want to say he was developing a race team as well.

Then again, it is a aquirred taste, and not everyone is going to like it.

The middle of the race can be somewhat taxing, especially the amount of cautions we saw in '04 -- all of which resembles a slow and boring second quarter at times; well other than Talledega.

I knew this would get Billy rolling. :lol:

Well you know me Josh. Right now I am "jonesing" so bad for a Nascar race, it ain't funny! The NFL is my only reason for living right now, once that's over, then Nascar takes over the life support duties until the NCAA mens hoops chips in, followed by mjor league baseball.

I knew this would get Billy rolling.  :lol:

Well you know me Josh. Right now I am "jonesing" so bad for a Nascar race, it ain't funny!

Yea, I know. I think you made the same speech last year when someone ripped on NASCAR. You may have been more agreesive then, but your post was very subdued this time... then again, it may have been the nature of the discussion.

Yea, I know. I think you made the same speech last year when someone ripped on NASCAR. You may have been more agreesive then, but your post was very subdued this time... then again, it may have been the nature of the discussion.

Nope! It's the new kinder, gentler, totally "non-aggressive" billybroome! :)

Well...until a Bills fans pisses me off anyway. <_<

Pre-season testing is on Speed channel at 7 (EST) TONIGHT!

That should wet your appetite. Well, mine too.

Bummer. I'm not on Speed. They offer it in the next more expensive cable package, but that's the ONLY channel I'd watch in that entire package, so it isn't (yet) worth the price to me. :(

New Dodge Charger unveiled.

3313704_7_1.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3313702

Much better than the Insipid...er...the Intrepid I mean! IMO Dodge is still going to be the 3rd place manufacture behind the other two big boys.

I'm a Tony Stewart fan. He'll ram you in the ass and then tell you to go screw yourself. My kind of Guy! :P

BB7, would you please post the route you drive home from work so other members here have a chance to get home without injury? :lol:

I said Chevy fans, not fans of a flaming homo-sexual! :lol::lol::lol:

C'mon you Chevy fans...Jeff is one of the top 5 Chevy drivers out there, and you damn well know it! As far as homosexuals in Nascar, I believe there was one. Tim Richmond. Died of AIDS. All that bulls**t aside, he was a GREAT driver. A great Chevy driver to boot. His sexual preferences mean nothing to me.

I miss all the greats that have gone before us. Dale Earnhardt Sr. ...Davey Allison...Alan Kulwiki, just to name a few. B)

I don't hate Gordon. He's not my most biggest favorite driver either. I like the Hendrick team and Jimmy Johnson -- I think they've set a bar of what NASCAR is today.

How do you go against Gordon, Johnson, Kyle Busch, and Brian Vickers -- oh let's not forget the old man that's running a limited schedule in Terry Labonte.

But in NASCAR today, I think Chevy definitely has the advantage considering the teams that use them are DEI, RCR, Hendrick, Gibbs racing, MB2, or Haas -- other than Rouch, Evernham, or Penske, Chevy is the dominating class just by default.

Particularly I'm not a huge Nasacar guy, but I'm a Tony Stewart fan. He'll ram you in the ass and then tell you to go screw yourself. My kind of Guy! :P

Yup thats what im talking about. ;-) Sucks he was a no show for Daytona testing. Heard he is on "vacation" and said that Daytona testing is just plain boring and had a replacment driver in for him. Guess i gotta wait a couple more weeks till i can see him back in the 20 car.

Guys,

Yahoo has a free Nascar league and you get to pick different drivers every week. Last year you could pick a driver up to 9 times through the season. Once you have used a driver 9 times you can't use them again. Are you guys cool with this format? If so I'll get us started.

Go for it, the league is opening registration now.