10 thoughts on on the Buffalo game

rob_justdmb

1. I'd like to start by saying I was wrong, we didn't win the game, the better team won today. We made a lot of mistakes, but they made enough things happen that if we didn't kill ourselves, we'd probably've lost any way. Good game Bills, but all you Bills fans that posted here all week, keep in mind, you aren't the ones who made the plays, the players are, so here's my pre-emptive shut the f**k up. Rudi got a non-garbage 100 yards on you, which you all said was impossible, and a garbage 30. Show props, have respect, and be better than Steeler fans.

2. A hearty and colossal f**k YOU to my entire fantasy team, and the Lions defense.

3. Bobbie Williams has been the weak link on the line all year, but never as glaring as it was today. As many times as I, with my own eyes, have seen Mike Goff get absolutely s**tfaced and do stupid s**t like a "drink outside at the bar in the pouring rain contest" (seriously), it might've been worth the money to resign him. With a weaker D-Line in the draft, I'll be happy with a RG in the first round.

4. Sam Adams continued his streak of absolutely wrecking us. It seemed like he had the snap count fed directly into his helmet.

5. If I were the defense, I would punch the offense square in the f**king jaw.

6. When was the last time we even sniffed a punt let alone blocked one? It's amazing the consistent lack of pressure we get on punts year after year. If maybe we returned one longer than 20 yards, I could justify it.

7. Missed opportunities. Sucks that Justin Smith didn't pick up that fumble. Do these guys not watch football? Keiwan had daylight on the pick that went through his fingers. Too many missed fumble opportunities.

8. That game took forever. Way too cold for any of that nonsense.

9. I'll bet no one disses Carson again for the next 9 months.

10. I understand that there was a 5000 - 1 of winning the game at the end, but running draws with 1:15 left doesn't make any football sense.

edit for bad spelling

True, I never said Rudi wasn't good. He played great today. Plus the Bengals D stepped it up and shut down Willis. That being said even though we didn't play well today we found a way to win, because of our D and special teams. Kitna made a lot of mistakes but you still have to give props to the Bills D. Plus I do not see how anyone can say TKO is overrated. Plus we shut down your two top receivers (though I am sure it might have been a different story if Carson was there.)

I have a question on the Spike's INT...

In watching that replay, during the game, Spikes, knock's Rudi down to make the catch. Rudi had his back to Spikes.

I saw that same replay of Boomer's halftime report of the Indy game.

I thought I understood the pass-interference rule, but I don't understand how that wasn't one...

What am I missing? No one called it, no one commented on it? Educate me please?

yeah well kitna was absolutley pathetic.

I said that.

he played better than the qbs for the Browns though...

Not by much....

And it wasn't our top 2 receivers being shut down... It was Kitna not getting them the ball. He just doesn't fit the new offense because he doesn't have the arm strength, the speed of the pass or the deep ball.

I was sure going into this game that he wouldn't lose this game for us. I was wrong, he did.

Rob - Nice analysis. A few comments....

How is #2 related to the Bengals at all?

Bobbie Williams has been solid in one game, then abused in others. I think he can play good, but he doesn't stay consistent.

Does anyone believe me now that we need a 500 pounder, with his own burger named after him, on our defensive front?

Just punch Kitna. Although I will give credit to the Bills secondary for cooling down, shutting down, our streaking WR's.

8 That game took forever. Way too cold for any of that nonsense.

How do you think I felt? I had to do the real-time game notes! <_<

9. I'll bet no one disses Carson again for the next 9 months.

I will, if he makes stupid plays. Of course, I won't call for anyone but Palmer to play though...

10. I understand that there was a 5000 - 1 of winning the game at the end, but running draws with 1:15 left doesn't make any football sense.

Injury concerns. A running play has a less likely probablity to get anyone hurt.

In watching that replay, during the game, Spikes, knock's Rudi down to make the catch. Rudi had his back to Spikes.

I thought I understood the pass-interference rule, but I don't understand how that wasn't one...

I saw that too. I believe he did not knock him over until after the ball was tipped which means pushing the intended receiver is fair game. Had the ball not been tipped it would have been interference.

I saw that too. I believe he did not knock him over until after the ball was tipped which means pushing the intended receiver is fair game. Had the ball not been tipped it would have been interference.

Except the ball was never tipped!

Except the ball was never tipped!

You're right. Here's a quote from Spikes saying he pushed Johnson before Kitna threw the pass. I guess it was legal because he was within 5 yards of scrimmage.

Kitna panicked. He threw a sidearmed, desperation pass in Johnson's direction. Spikes stepped in front of the ball and raced 62 yards to give the Bills a 21-7 lead.

"A lineman tried to cut me, and I got around him," Spikes said. "I saw Rudi, and he had his back to me, and I saw Kitna throw it. Right before he threw it, I pushed Rudi down. And when I pushed him, it came so quick, I just caught it, and man, I'm off to the races."

You're right.  Here's a quote from Spikes saying he pushed Johnson before Kitna threw the pass.  I guess it was legal because he was within 5 yards of scrimmage. 

Kitna panicked. He threw a sidearmed, desperation pass in Johnson's direction. Spikes stepped in front of the ball and raced 62 yards to give the Bills a 21-7 lead.

"A lineman tried to cut me, and I got around him," Spikes said. "I saw Rudi, and he had his back to me, and I saw Kitna throw it. Right before he threw it, I pushed Rudi down. And when I pushed him, it came so quick, I just caught it, and man, I'm off to the races."

The thing is, it is legal until the ball is in the air. If you saw that duck Kitna threw, because he was being spun down, TKO pushed him while the ball was in the air. That's what made it illegal. When a defender goes out of his way to justify a part of a play without even being asked about that part, you know he's guilty. Kitna threw it from across the field so there probably was not an official that had a good view of both happening to see what happened first. but watching on tv, it's clear that it was illegal, but it wasn't a blatant hosejob. It's a hard thing to call.

Kirk, #2 has nothing to do with the Bengals, but when you get home from a game like that, enduring weather and the A-hole Bills fans all week, and the only thing that can save your day/week is a playoff fantasy win, and you're down 90 - 20 with the same amount of players having played so far, you need to vent a little. I figured with a total of 30 thoughts the last 3 weeks, I could spare one. PS, thank you Billy Volek for the comeback.

If you are worried about injuries, put in the scrubs, but still try to score. Put Bramlet in for all I care and let him wing it down the field. 3 scores is one thing, 2 scores is another. Unlikely as it is, it's worth a shot, get some guys on the field and see what they can do. I am still not sold on Bobbie Williams at all. Linemen can not look good in one game then bad the next. You can't have a great run blocker, but a bad pass blocker. This is by far not the first game he's looked this bad. It didn't help who he was playing, but you've got to make plays.

I Saw Kitna throw it. Right before he threw it, I pushed Rudi down....

So, you saw rudi, saw kitna throw it, and THEN before kitna threw it, you pushed the receiver down....

BULLs**t!

LOL. Trust me, I hate the officials too. We've been screwed enough times that I am never surprised when they get one wrong. You guys enjoy the rest of your season. I believe you have a lot to look forward to next year. This is truely a talented team on both sides of the ball and next year should be your chance to break the streak and get to the play-offs. I just wish the AFC wasn't so damned tough. Both of our teams would be play-off bound this year in the NFC. Happy Holidays!

You're right.  Here's a quote from Spikes saying he pushed Johnson before Kitna threw the pass.  I guess it was legal because he was within 5 yards of scrimmage. 

The thing is, it is legal until the ball is in the air. If you saw that duck Kitna threw, because he was being spun down, TKO pushed him while the ball was in the air. That's what made it illegal. When a defender goes out of his way to justify a part of a play without even being asked about that part, you know he's guilty. Kitna threw it from across the field so there probably was not an official that had a good view of both happening to see what happened first. but watching on tv, it's clear that it was illegal, but it wasn't a blatant hosejob. It's a hard thing to call.

Kirk, #2 has nothing to do with the Bengals, but when you get home from a game like that, enduring weather and the A-hole Bills fans all week, and the only thing that can save your day/week is a playoff fantasy win, and you're down 90 - 20 with the same amount of players having played so far, you need to vent a little. I figured with a total of 30 thoughts the last 3 weeks, I could spare one. PS, thank you Billy Volek for the comeback.

If you are worried about injuries, put in the scrubs, but still try to score. Put Bramlet in for all I care and let him wing it down the field. 3 scores is one thing, 2 scores is another. Unlikely as it is, it's worth a shot, get some guys on the field and see what they can do. I am still not sold on Bobbie Williams at all. Linemen can not look good in one game then bad the next. You can't have a great run blocker, but a bad pass blocker. This is by far not the first game he's looked this bad. It didn't help who he was playing, but you've got to make plays.

I also heard that it had something to do with the fact that he was behind the line of scrimmage, it didn't sound right to me but they said something like that on CBS.

I also have a thought, the Bengals suck.

No they don't and that is why this game was such a heart breaker. It is like everything we have worked so hard for is going to be thrown out the window now, when it comes to any kind of respect.

Hopefully next week Palmer will be back and we can pick up where we left off.

GoBengals

1. From the “you learn something new everyday” category, I have two items.

First I didn’t know that you could review a play and then call a penalty on that play. I am referring to the challenge on the Bills punt in the first quarter. If there were twelve men I guess we would have been flagged. Considering all of the items that should be reviewable, I’d like to know who thought of that one.

Second, I didn’t know that you could flatten an intended receiver when he is between the tackles. Somehow that doesn’t seem right either but if it’s in the book there isn’t much we can do about it.

2. From the “you know it’s not your day” category, here are two:.

Lindell’s first FG that just made it over the bar.

LJ knocking the ball away from Justin on the fumble.

3. I question the play calling on offense yesterday. The Bills just scored on the blocked punt to make it 14-7. On the next drive we pass three straight times and go three and out and run no more than 20 seconds of the clock. We did hold the Bills on the next drive so we were lucky. However I wonder why we don’t continue to run the ball more there. We just had a pretty good drive in which we ran the majority of the time to go up 7-0.

4. Defensively we are still unable to get pressure up the middle on passing plays. Where is the aggressive blitzing like in the Denver game? It seems like the QB is able to step up into the pocket and throw at will and Bledsoe was able to get some good yardage by running up the gut also.

5. I am disheartened by the continued lack of discipline by the offense. Too many motion and false start penalties again. I also agree with rob that Bobby Williams has added nothing to this line. Some of Rudi’s longest runs were behind Goff and Willie last year.

6. I think this offseason will be critical for Lewis and Co. The No. 1 pick has to be a home run hitter. We’ve had the luxury of sitting Palmer and Perry the last two years, but the guy next year has to contribute right away.

In fact I really don’t care if we lose the last two games. That will only help us get a better draft picks next year. The two lines must be improved and a big safety for run support must be the priorities.

7. Spikes did not seem like much of a factor until the INT. Even though it was only the second quarter, I felt like the team gave up after that.

8. Marvin’s December record is 2 and 6. Both years we have been in the hunt heading into December but we have been unable to take advantage of it. They have had injuries in December that didn’t help (Warrick in ‘03/ Palmer, Braham, Clemons yesterday) but that goes to show the lack of depth this team still has a key positions.

9. I felt bad that Kitna didn’t play better. I was really hoping he could have one more good game before the season is over, in case this is his last year here.. Kinda like Boomer’s run at the end of ‘97. People shouldn’t remember him for yesterday’s game. He’s been part of a lot of losing around here and for all of our moaning about Dillon’s attitude, we must acknowledge Jon’s character and leadership while he has been here.

10. I believe the following guys will be gone next year or should have minor roles on this team: Kevin K., Kim Herring, Tony Stewart, Reggie Kelly, John Thornton to name a few.

As I recall, you can hit receivers behind the line. I believe that defenders are coached to knock them out of the pattern if they can.

It is a rule though that you cannot do that when the ball is in the air and it is a forward pass. Whether it's behind the line of scrimmage, 4 yards past, 10 yards past or anything. If the ball is in the air and moving forward and there is contact, it is an illegal contact penalty. They even talked about during last night's game on the Reggie Wayne screen that almost got picked off.