10 thoughts on the New England game

rob_justdmb

1. The penalties were not as hurtful as they could've been. Of the 9 penalties I saw on our offense, none of them stalled a drive. Most came on touchdown drives, some came on Kitna's INT drive. The worst penalties were the block in the backs. They cost us a lot of return yards.

2. I'm beginning to lose my faith in Justin Smith as a pass rush DE. He's fast and small, which means it doesn't take much to get him slightly bumped and out of the way. Perhaps Geathers or whoever can play RDE and they can use Smith as a spinner. Just a thought.

3. It would've been an interesting situation if Kevin Hardy got that finger tip on Brady while Brady was throwing on the ground. If while Brady was in his throwing motion, even if his arm was moving forward, a fingertip would made him. And it was extremely close.

4. Where in the world was the coverage on that play. How far away does a player have to be for that pass to get completed.

5. Some team will use film of this game to beat the Patriots. It happened in 2001 when we beat Pittsburgh. Last year the play Steve Smith ran vs. the Rams in 2 OT, he said it was something they saw us do at the end of the first half vs. the Rams.

6. The Patriots are a good football team, Corey Dillon played a game like we saw him play for years. Workhorse-like 85-some yards. Receivers got open enough to make us back off, then hook-routed us to death.

7. Chris Perry was active, but didn't take the field. I'm starting to think it may not be the injuries. Note when Marvin said in prior weeks, "plays to get him on the field." Is anyone else reading between the lines here? Why would we have to find plays for him. With all that practice he's missing, he should know this playbook, left and right, inside and out. Are the regular plays too much for him so that we have to design special plays? I believe he's played a total of 4 plays this year. they threw it to him 2x and he ran the ball 2x. That all looks suspiciously like he doesn't know the playbook. With as much time as he's missed, that should not be the case. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Look. As long as he's wearing stripes, I want him to do well. Extremely well. But this pick has really backfired. Are we supposed to go into next year with him as our starter? How much more can Rudi's agent hamstring us now that Perry has 2 carries for 1 yard. and a related sidenote, call it 7a. Rudi, if you want to be here so damn bad, tell your agent to make a deal. You are his boss. You pay his salary. He does what you tell him.

8. Such a shame that Carson got hurt. The accolades were really starting to come in, and deservedly so. The interception was bad, but it wasn't a bad throw, it was an out with our best player vs. a cb who was just coming back from injury. Give credit for the play Samuel made. 3 more games vs a s**tty Giants team and an Eagles team that will only play their starters for a half at most really could go a long way. Going into next year with that confidence and the numbers rising, rising, rising, he would be some people's picks for MVP next year. He sat a year, struggled for 1/2 a year, he was finally seeing the work pay off. However, I'd rather he sit than lose the mobility by getting hurt worse. Remember that scramble in the Jets game? He is dangerous on the move, too bad they just figured it out. For the first time, I'm going to say that he is the man and will be the best ever at that position for this franchise. Remember people wanted Boomer's head to start the 88 season. They booed him out of the stadium for the first half of the Phoenix game in 88, then he was on the bench by week 13 of 1992.

9. Tory James made an e-mail I sent Prisco on Friday look really bad. His comment about him playing at just under a prob bowl level really bothered me. I thought James numbers spoke for themselves. I used the old "If he's not at a Pro Bowl level, then who is?" Well here's an answer to that. A guy who has arms so long they call him the Matrix should not be playing 10 yards off a receiver. Isn't the line of scrimmage the place where he can best make use of his bump and his size? Isn't that the big thing they said about him when we got him? His bump and run is top notch? His reach and strength were supposed to make up for his speed. You're playing into their hands when you play off with him. Not sure what safety was supposed to be in coverage. It was the Free who should've been there, but they started Herring for Beckett, which makes little sense to me because he had been starting at Free while Madieu played for him at Strong. Who knows. the angle they gave was too high to see.

10. I'm officially tired of it. I felt ok on the drive home from watching it with friends, but it is BS. We can play with any team, under any circumstances in any city with anyone hurt. It's now time to win these games. This is the last close L that is going to be acceptable for me. We should be front page Sportsline and everywhere else. I hate to keep saying next year this, next year that, but I'm going to say that 12 - 4, 11 - 5 is realistic next year. This team is too good to lose to NE in NE. Read that again if you have to. I fully expect us to win out. 8 - 8 is not good enough for me right now. This may sound like a negative thought, but it's a positive one. That's my belief level in this team. Marvin said it best. They didn't go there to lose by 7, and last year that game would've been a blow out. They had given up 5 points a game at home this year. We're there. It's time we start playing like it.

Great assessment as usual Rob.

I think Tory James was cheating off of the reciever on the Brady-Butt play. It was the FB lined up wide and he was playing off to help out on the inside man. I also would have liked to see Clemons (or was it Hardy?) dive to down Brady. If he tries to tackle him I am sure we would have been flagged for that one.

Obviously the Rudi fumble hurt but the defense can't let them go 80+ yards and score. That was a killer and so was the opening drive in the second half. I would like to see them blitz more up the middle to collapse the pocket. We get pushed wide and the QB just steps up into the pocket with no one in his face. I think Brady was in the endzone 2 or three times and we only got close to him once. A safety could have changed the game immensely.

I wonder what Jon was looking at when he threw the INT. I will chalk that up to not being in sync with his reciever since he hasn't played this year. It looked like Chad was coming open near the goal post on that one. I don't know if they had anyone near him on defense.

Does anyone know what all the commotion was at the end of the half? I saw Bobbie Williams jawing at someone after Harrison's hit out of bounds.

I don't want to blame the refs because we gave up some chunks on defense. However, it seemed like the refs can get nit-picky at times. This was alot like the second Pittsburgh game. When you get 5 or 6 penalties in a 12 to 15 play sequence, then something is wrong. Hopefully soon, we will be on the receiving end of those kind of calls.

Also why didn't the DB for NE get flagged on the hit on TJ? I didn't think you were allowed to lead with your head or leave the ground. There is a good picture of it in the paper. I did like how TJ casually dropped the ball next to him. That hit looked worse than it was.

I thought the fake field goal was awsome. It is great to see us dishing it out rather than being on the receiving end for a change. I heard that we have not given up a touchdown on ST in two years. We have two to date. PW's return against the Chiefs and Larson's TD yesterday. What's Al Roberts doing these days?

I wonder what Jon was looking at when he threw the INT. I will chalk that up to not being in sync with his reciever since he hasn't played this year. It looked like Chad was coming open near the goal post on that one. I don't know if they had anyone near him on defense.

He talked about it a little...it was on bengals.com.

Basically said he thought he had it, but then realized Chad wasn't going to get to the spot in time...said he he realized it too late and his arm was already in motion.

Good thoughts...a few or mine on yours...

1.  The penalties were not as hurtful as they could've been.

Agreed. The turnovers were what did us in. It is disappointing to see mental errors, like blocks in the back, occuring in week 14, tho.

2.  I'm beginning to lose my faith in Justin Smith as a pass rush DE.  He's fast and small, which means it doesn't take much to get him slightly bumped and out of the way.

Smith was always undersized; it was the big knock on him coming in. But no, he isn't a dominant player, though he is solid. I think he'd be more effective if we had better guys in the middle. That remains a huge offseason priority, probably job 1.

5.  Some team will use film of this game to beat the Patriots.  It happened in 2001 when we beat Pittsburgh.

Oh, yeah.

7.  Chris Perry was active, but didn't take the field.  I'm starting to think it may not be the injuries.

Like I said elsewhere, even if he is healthy, why do you want him in yesterday? He'd be taking Watson' spot, not Rudi's, and Kenny has been playing well. Why send a rookie in for his first game against a team like the Pats in that situation?

7a.  Rudi, if you want to be here so damn bad, tell your agent to make a deal.  You are his boss.  You pay his salary.  He does what you tell him.

Yup. Bottom line is that Rudi has no incentive to sign right now. The real question that's emerging is, if you can only afford one, who do you keep, TJ or Rudi? With Warrick still a question mark and Kwash developing only in fits and starts, it isn't an easy call.

8.  Such a shame that Carson got hurt...For the first time, I'm going to say that he is the man and will be the best ever at that position for this franchise.

Yup.

10.  I'm officially tired of it.  I felt ok on the drive home from watching it with friends, but it is BS.  We can play with any team, under any circumstances in any city with anyone hurt.  It's now time to win these games.  This is the last close L that is going to be acceptable for me.  We should be front page Sportsline and everywhere else.  I hate to keep saying next year this, next year that, but I'm going to say that 12 - 4, 11 - 5 is realistic next year.  This team is too good to lose to NE in NE.  Read that again if you have to.  I fully expect us to win out.  8 - 8 is not good enough for me right now.  This may sound like a negative thought, but it's a positive one.  That's my belief level in this team.  Marvin said it best.  They didn't go there to lose by 7, and last year that game would've been a blow out.  They had given up 5 points a game at home this year.  We're there.  It's time we start playing like it.

Yup again. I don't know if we'll make 9-7 this year, especially if Palmer's gone for the rest of the season (we damn well better get to 8-8, tho!). But I think we're getting to "the end of the beginning," so to speak. Carson still has a lot to learn, but it looks like he's gotten out of the initial rookie shoals. The defense hasn't been very good most of the time, but we have had a lot of young guys forced into the game and have seen a lot of good with the bad. That experience will pay off. I will be disappointed with anything less than the AFCN title next year.

8. Such a shame that Carson got hurt. The accolades were really starting to come in, and deservedly so. The interception was bad, but it wasn't a bad throw, it was an out with our best player vs. a cb who was just coming back from injury. Give credit for the play Samuel made.

Good game folks.

I was extremely impressed with Palmer (he made outstanding throws all day).

You have a very good QB for years to come.

On Samuel's pick: He takes alot of chances and he just guessed right and jumped the pattern. Those things happen.

I thought for sure they would come back at him with an out and up or hitch and go. Could have been an easy 6.

rob, i enjoy your lists...

a few quick observations of my own:

1. We need to figure out how to afford TJ. I don't think these last few games are an aberration, but rather a talented guy whose renewed work ethic has caught up with some noticeable skills. His ability to make people miss in small spaces and pick up extra yardage on passes is so nice to see. We add P-Dub back to this corp, and next year's passing game will be scary good.

2. I am now desperate for them to draft a LB in the first round. They need to add another piece to that corp. Kevin Hardy's time is passing.

3. A road-grader at DT is still needed. I think even my 3-year-old sees that.

4. Deltha O'Neals absence was a crusher. He would have done a much better job at closing out the Pats WRs...I like Keiwan, but he is a 3rd CB right now.

5. The future for this team is hella bright. This offseason will be a lot more fun than they have been of late.

6. They can win these last three games. 9-7 should be what is on their minds right now.

"2. I am now desperate for them to draft a LB in the first round. They need to add another piece to that corp. Kevin Hardy's time is passing.

Landon Johnson is heir apparent there. Based on how he's been doing this year I nhink he'll do just fine. "

I agree. Also, don't forget that we have Nate Webster waiting in the wings. He looked pretty good until he got hurt. Also Caleb Miller should do well when moved outside where he can use his speed to his advantage more. I actually see us fairly deep at this position next year.

2. I am now desperate for them to draft a LB in the first round. They need to add another piece to that corp. Kevin Hardy's time is passing.

Landon Johnson is heir apparent there. Based on how he's been doing this year I nhink he'll do just fine.

Landon is one piece...but he is not what I have in mind in terms of the draft. I would kill for them to find a Jonathon Vilma type. Assuming that Landon slides into Hardy's spot...still would like a MLB type to get drafted. Ideally, such a draftee would be insurance against Nate Webster's slow rehab and be in place to take over for Nate should he be diminished after his rehab.

No way are our linebackers good enough right now. Even if Miller and Johnson progress, I would like another high draft choice (first rounder) to join them.

Landon Johnson is heir apparent there. Based on how he's been doing this year I nhink he'll do just fine.

Landon is one piece...but he is not what I have in mind in terms of the draft. I would kill for them to find a Jonathon Vilma type. Assuming that Landon slides into Hardy's spot...still would like a MLB type to get drafted. Ideally, such a draftee would be insurance against Nate Webster's slow rehab and be in place to take over for Nate should he be diminished after his rehab.

No way are our linebackers good enough right now. Even if Miller and Johnson progress, I would like another high draft choice (first rounder) to join them.

We've been without Nate as well as Abdullah !

Nate's had some experience with the bucs, and I'm hoping that Abdullahs progress .... which was considerable isn't stunted by missing this season.

As to the big wide body that is suppose to plug the middle, I thought that's why we got Askew.

Joisey ???????? Is there somebody else on your mind ??? or is that an observation ??

I agree that MLB remains a concern, particularly since Caleb Miller didn't show much when he had the chance. But I somehow doubt that Marvin gives up on both him and Webster that quickly.

Do you really want to spend a first round draft on a likely backup for Nate? Fans didn't seem to be very happy with that this year with Chris Perry.

Actually, if we took a MLB in the first...I would fully expect him to beat out Nate pretty quickly.

I am hella worried about Nate's effectiveness next year. A lot of his game was predicated on speed, and an ACL tear is going to make that a question, and also potentially compromise his lateral quickness...I liked what Nate did, a lot, I just think we need to continue to course new blood through that unit.

I would prefer they find a big ugly at DT in free agency...and I expect Askew to work into the rotation next year.

No one is giving up on Caleb if they take a MLB...just continuing to add to the competition. The LBs have not played well enough this year that that position should be ignored.

Well said, rob - precious little to disagree with there.

There are 4 or 5 linebackers on the IR and some pretty good ones still active. Landon Johnson will probably move back outside next year. Nate Webster looked decent in preseason and was starting to look very good when he got hurt. It won't hurt to bring in more linebackers, but I'd concentrate more on defensive and offensive linemen and cornerbacks in the draft.

This team is too good to lose to NE in NE. Read that again if you have to.

I just read it again.

Are You RETARDED???

We are too good to beat NE in NE??

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

NE hasnt lost at home in 3 years!! They are the Superbowl champs!! They are tied for best record in NFL!!

BUNGLES FANS ARE HILARIOUS!!!

WE ARE TOO GOOD TO LOSE TO NE IN NE!! Damn then you are too good to lose to anyone ANYWHERE THEN!!

stop the season now Tagliabue, and give the rightful team, THE 6-7 Bungles aka laughingstock of the NFL for the last 15 years, the lombardi trophy!!

too good to lose to new england in new england....musta been a typo...

LOL :lol:

"2. I am now desperate for them to draft a LB in the first round. They need to add another piece to that corp. Kevin Hardy's time is passing.

Landon Johnson is heir apparent there. Based on how he's been doing this year I nhink he'll do just fine. "

I agree. Also, don't forget that we have Nate Webster waiting in the wings. He looked pretty good until he got hurt. Also Caleb Miller should do well when moved outside where he can use his speed to his advantage more. I actually see us fairly deep at this position next year.

I completely disagree - Landon hasn't proved anything other than he can spot start. Hardy and Simmons are the downsides of their careers and are very average at best these days. Period!

Caleb is not an every down NFL player by any means and will get eaten alive by NFL RB's and lineman like he has thus far. He and Landon could get better but you can't count on it based on their play so far...I do like Landon though...just not "that" much.

They need to draft or sign a stud LB...Webster had one decent game before he got hurt and his size alone makes you question his durability - some with Abdullah. None of them are proven players!

LB's are too important in this system to get by with mediocrity, 4th round picks and other team's back-ups and aged veterans.

There's a reason this defense SUCKS, why people here like every defensive player - yet watch them give up 28-48 points a game - and don't call out any names, is beyond me.

The defense sucks for a reason - and the LB position is a big problem. Just watch Marvin go after a 1st round LB or big name FA next season and you'll see that he would agree! :)

This team is too good to lose to NE in NE.  Read that again if you have to.

I just read it again.

Are You RETARDED???

We are too good to beat NE in NE??

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

NE hasnt lost at home in 3 years!! They are the Superbowl champs!! They are tied for best record in NFL!!

BUNGLES FANS ARE HILARIOUS!!!

WE ARE TOO GOOD TO LOSE TO NE IN NE!! Damn then you are too good to lose to anyone ANYWHERE THEN!!

stop the season now Tagliabue, and give the rightful team, THE 6-7 Bungles aka laughingstock of the NFL for the last 15 years, the lombardi trophy!!

too good to lose to new england in new england....musta been a typo...

LOL :lol:

You guys played pretty much a perfect offensive game and still had to hold on to beat us, and maybe you don't if the QB doesn't go down. Our offense is better than the #1 defense. On the road. On a different substance than our home field. That is what I am saying. We can beat any team, any where. It's just a matter of "if" we do. Pther teams might get a lucky win. Us beating anyone in this league or any other is not/would not be luck. THAT is what I'm saying. Obviously we don't win that game 50 times if we play 100. But it would be an earned win. Respect this team.