10 thoughts on the Baltimore game

rob_justdmb

1. The 32-yarder to TJ in the closing minutes worked because every game, every roll out, Palmer rolls right. That’s why he constantly has to check down to the tight end or fullback for a 3 yard gain. Teams flush him out and the DE contains. Remember Jon Kitna always did the spin move, roll left, most notably vs. Oakland to Chad last year in the 4th quarter.

2. Palmer effortlessly winged that pass across his body, a throw we haven’t seen yet in his pro career, and by far the biggest play of the season. There isn’t any Bengal fan I know that didn’t just put their head down after taking the 8-yard sack one play earlier. Remember how exertion Kitna put into the same throw last year?

3. The referees continue to job us. On the interception/fumble return, right when Big Willie almost tackled McAllister, Ed Hartwell came through and annihilated Big Willie. Clean hit, for sure, but Hartwell then immediately took his helmet off, right there on the field in the corner of the screen in front of both God and referee Walt Anderson as Ian Eagle screamed about the hit. A chest bump, however, is excessive.

4. Who would’ve thought that in a game involving a WR with 171 yards and a TD, and a WR with a game changing muffed punt, TJ Houshmandzadeh would be the former, not the latter.

5. From Jim Breech to Jim Gallery to Massimo Manca to Doug Pelphrey to Neil Rackers, I’ve never considered getting a kicker’s jersey, until now. How nice is it that as soon as we got to the 32 the game was over? Remember how when we were driving with Neil Rackers as our kicker you didn’t feel safe until we got it to the 15?

6. Seeing Jon Kitna run around the field after the FG in the same way that I was doing my high-five victory lap in Norwood BW-3 brought a smile. As long as Jon leaves the division, I hope every potential suitor sees that footage and he makes playoff run every year he decides to keep playing.

7. Only one sack yesterday but it came on a creative call. You’ll note that every time we blitz it’s with certain players. Ratliff, Kaesviharn, Beckett, linebackers, Madieu… Yesterday was the first time all year either successful or not that I have seen one of our starting corners (O’Neal or Tory James) blitz. Baltimore wasn’t expecting it, didn’t see it coming, big play.

8. Tory James had only 1 tackle on a pass thrown to a WR. He is becoming one of those guys that QB’s don’t want to throw towards. I still didn’t see the illegal contact. There was no replay that showed any penalty that I could see. He came up and made a tackle on a screen. No idea where the flag came from, maybe it was called on the wrong player.

9. Madieu Williams pads his Defensive Rookie of the Year stats. The great thing is, we’re not the only ones noticing it. Sportsline had him as their D-ROY. His awareness, is remarkable for a rookie. The pass was thrown so hard and so poorly that it hit his pads before he knew it was coming. He still made the play. With Rogers Beckett being a question mark for the rest of his career with these head and neck injuries (ala Jeff Burris last year), Madieu could be here and be the Ed Reed type of player for a long, long time.

10. Unheralded players/plays of the game: Offense – Rudi Johnson for playing in the 2 minute drill and picking up blitzes when Kenny Watson went down. What in the world? His entire career he’s never been put in that situation which is why they got Perry, a 3rd down, 2-minute, blitz picking up, out of the backfield catcher. Defense – Kevin Kaesviharn maybe the most improved player in the secondary. His tackle of Todd Heap in the 1st quarter on 3rd and 8 at the 2 yard line forced a FG and kept us around thinking we could win. Nothing would’ve been as disheartening as to move the ball well on the first series, give up a totally unnecessary fumble, and let the other drive down for a touchdown.

Excellent assessment of the game.

I hate to balme the refs...but there were a few questionable calls. Thankfully we overcame them. I can't understand why there was no penalty when the guy took off his helmet.

I hope they are able to keep Kitna. He was part of the turnaround last year from the 90's and I would like him to be here when we finally make the playoffs. Plus I don't know if Bramlet is ready to be the No. 2 QB yet.

I heard a guy after the game complaining about the short kickoffs by Graham. Neil Rackers could kick it to the moon but wasn't very reliable. I will take Graham any day. Short kicks or not. Put Rackers in that position yesterday. I don't even want to think about it.

I agree Madieu should be defensive rookie of the year. Landon Johnson and Kyle Larson should get consideration for the all-rookie team too.

5. From Jim Breech to Jim Gallery to Massimo Manca to Doug Pelphrey to Neil Rackers, I’ve never considered getting a kicker’s jersey, until now. How nice is it that as soon as we got to the 32 the game was over? Remember how when we were driving with Neil Rackers as our kicker you didn’t feel safe until we got it to the 15?

You felt safe at any time withe Rackers kicking? Man you've got faith.

3. The referees continue to job us. On the interception/fumble return, right when Big Willie almost tackled McAllister, Ed Hartwell came through and annihilated Big Willie. Clean hit, for sure, but Hartwell then immediately took his helmet off, right there on the field in the corner of the screen in front of both God and referee Walt Anderson as Ian Eagle screamed about the hit. A chest bump, however, is excessive.

Even the Baltimore press called the refs out for the late game flags against the Bengals. But hey, if you thought that was bad, you ain't seen nothing like how the refs are gonna try to job the team to the Patriots. :ph34r:

Nice work on your observations. Here are a few of mine:

1.Madieu Williams, welcome to your inter-division rivalry with Ed Reed. Bengals are set SET at S for the next ten years with Williams. Games like yesterday (big win on the road) will go a long way toward getting Williams into the defensive rookie POY talk. That hit on Kevin Johnson was hellacious. Just outstanding.

2. For Schobel's incredibly hurtful fumble in the first, his catch and move the chains rumble to get the ball to the Baltimore 32 in the last minute was a nice make-up. It set up...

3. That undeniably sweet pass to CJ to the 9. Apparently, from reading .com and around today, Palmer and CJ checked to that play with eye contact and a thumb's up from Palmer. That right there is a sign that our future is here.

4. The pass, rolling to his left and throwing across his body that Palmer made to TJ on the 2nd and 18 to jumpstart the winning drive was unreal. That is, quite simply, a throw that qb mortals in terms of skilz (such as Kitna, bless him), just cannot make.

5. Amazing to watch Marvin shape this team. He has turned over a roster that was not good, made it young and rapidly becoming dangerous, in just two years. One more draft and free agency class, and this team will be a full blown contender. Amazing transformation. At least Cincy can finally take its place at the NFL table for a change.

6. Keiwan Ratliff...he sure does have a nose for the ball and tackles with certainty. He is a real keeper at DB. I would not be surprised to see him pick one and take it to the house before this season is out.

i am so happy Mike Brown decided to hire Marvin Lewis. It's been a whole attitude change, from Day One. The way things have been going, I see a Super Bowl title coming to Cincy in three or four years. But it's going to be a tough go -- with Pittsburgh and Roesthlisberger being just a rookie. But I'd rather have Marvin Lewis than Cowher or Billick, so I'd say the Bengals will be the cream of the AFC North with two more drafts and a couple of winning seasons under the Bengals' belt ;) . WHO DEY.