Chris Perry

San Antonio Bengal

Don't get me wrong. The debating is fun. And it's what football fans are meant to do! Nevertheless, I like the debates that have a little more substance behind them rather than being purely hypothetical. If Perry had a game or two under his belt, this debate would be much more interesting and there would be actual plays which we could scrutinize.

Yup. And the truth is Perry might go bust as well. Lord knows the Bengals have virtually specialized in first round busts, to the point where I've regularly wished they trade their No. 1 for as many later-round picks as they can get. And given the economics of the NFL I'm still not sure that isn't the smartest way to approach the draft, at least if you're in the top 10-15 picks. The one nice thing about Perry is that if he does go boom on us, he won't cost us big cap bucks.

But I agree San Antonio: the rest of the draft appears to be panning out, so I'll wait & see on Perry.

The one nice thing about Perry is that if he does go boom on us, he won't cost us big cap bucks.

This is one thing that has really hurt us in the past. It seemed that every year we were spending big cap money on one player instead of spending the money on a team or at least on a player who manages to stay in the NFL for more than two or three seasons. And even if Perry does go boom, we traded down to that position and got an extra pick out of it -- an extra pick that's looking pretty good so far.