Reds re-sign catcher LaRue

bengalsfan33

CINCINNATI -- The Reds answered one of their biggest offseason questions Friday evening, avoiding the arbitration process by signing catcher Jason LaRue to a one-year deal.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but there had been questions about the Reds bringing the catcher back because of financial reasons.

LaRue made a reported $2.6 million in 2004. After setting career highs with a .251 batting average, 98 hits, 24 doubles and 55 RBIs, while hitting 14 home runs, he stood to gain a sizeable pay hike through arbitration.

LaRue is the first of six arbitration-eligible players to agree to terms for 2005. The remaining five are Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, D'Angelo Jimenez, John Riedling and Javier Valentin.

In addition to signing LaRue, the Reds signed left-hander Randy Keisler to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. The 28-year-old hurler spent most of 2004 at Triple-A Norfolk, where he went 6-7 with a 3.81 ERA in 21 starts and one relief appearance.

Todd Lorenz is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

SOURCE: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_cin&fext=.jsp

funny thing, the Yanks won 100+ games and were one game away from the WS. I would take that over the seasons we have.

to me 2nd place is the same as 30th or no ring

let me rephrase what i was saying. the yankees had some pitching which was enough to hold boston down while n.y.'s offense won the games. they got beat because they didn't have the horses on the mound.