So Ashamed

LastFanStanding

This year unlike the last fourteen was supposed to be different!

What happened!

Let's review.

Here are some of the mistakes I believe the Bengals made in the off season that have lead to where we are today...

1.) Drafting Chris Perry in the first round? Why...The defense is as porous as cheesescloth.

2.) Not signing Warren Sapp.....He would have added some fire to the defense and maybe raise the overall performance of the guys playing next to him.

3.) Benching Kitna in favor of Palmer....I think Palmer will someday be a good QB, But as I believed all along Kitna gave this tean the best chance to win. They are paying both of them anyway??? What's it matter if Palmer is watching for another year!

4.) All these X Washington players??? Evidently we are the Washington Redskins recycling center.

This year unlike the last fourteen was supposed to be different!

What happened!

Let's review.

Here are some of the mistakes I believe the Bengals made in the off season that have lead to where we are today...

1.) Drafting Chris Perry in the first round? Why...The defense is as porous as cheesescloth.

2.) Not signing Warren Sapp.....He would have added some fire to the defense and maybe raise the overall performance of the guys playing next to him.

3.) Benching Kitna in favor of Palmer....I think Palmer will someday be a good QB, But as I believed all along Kitna gave this tean the best chance to win. They are paying both of them anyway??? What's it matter if Palmer is watching for another year!

4.) All these X Washington players??? Evidently we are the Washington Redskins recycling center.

1) Time will tell...what if Perry turns out to be the best back in the league? I think you'll be singing a different tune, then. Give him time to show us what he's got. Plus, I think we addressed the D pretty heavily. Getting a big DT fell through, but it wasn't from a lack of trying.

2) You think so? What has he done for Oakland? He's on the downside of his career.

3) Get over it.

4) If Marvin is forced to bring in some FA's, he'd rather bring in guys that he knows and trusts. Most of the people he has brought in have been for role-positions...not anyone he intended to be a star on the team. He wanted guys that he knows and trusts to get the job done...

1.) Agreed...Perry might be a good back in the future. But what about the Defense!

The only Defensive FA we were able to obtain were guys who were in the doghouse or were second string players on their old team.

2.) Sapp is on his downside....But he is still better then our best DL.

3.) Get over it??? You need to wake Up! It's just anbother decision that was made that basically threw the season down the toilet.

4.) Exactly....The guys he is bringing in for the most part are not even active players in the league. And as our record dictates...They are not getting the job done.

3.) What's it matter if Palmer is watching for another year!

I tell you why

Number One draft pick, homie.

49 Million over 7 years.

Pennington waited two years before he started, he was late first round, THAT's the difference.

'You can't have a Ferrari sitting in the garage and not even bother to drive the muthaf**ker.' (or something like that)

We've been losing like this for 12 years, so this year isn't something new. Honestly, I was a little angry earlier in the season, wanted things to change now, but I realize now things are going to take time; I held my expectations why higher than I should have. Now, along with a few wins, I just want to see this team improve and gear up for a competitive 2005 season. I was ashamed in 2002, now I'm just a little disappointed but still very hopeful for our future, but I'm no where near lost -- or ashamed.

1. Perry is collateral for the Rudi negotiation period.

2. Sapp is doing well in Oakland? What's his coin? I think he's close to making Palmer money.

3. I believed Kitna should have been given the starting job at the beginning of the season and let Carson slide in. Some of the young successful QB's playing today started playing during mid-season; I wonder if there is a confidence factor not having the burden of being a savior for the entire off-season.

4. I'll definitely agree with the old Marvin players not contributing much. But this is just to seal a few holes in needed positions we can later find in the draft. Rome wasn't built in two off-seasons.

you have to give perry a chance. i mean the guy has been injured for what seems all season. and sapp, well i would have taken him, but not for the money that they said he got... i mean really? come on.

Guys the losing has gone on for nearly thirty years not 12 or 13. My son was born in February 1991. This was about three weeks after the last Bengals playoff game which was against the LA Raiders when Bo Jackson injured his hip. So in my boy's entire life, the Bengals have never had a winning season, only a couple of 8 and 8's.

I went back and did a little research and found that since Paul Brown retired as coach after the 1975 season, the Bengals have been to the playoffs a total of four times (1981, 1982, 1988, 1990). That's over 29 seasons!

During the first 8 seasons of their existence, they made the playoffs three times (1970, 1973, 1975). I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter who the coach is or what players they get, this franchise can't seem to win.

Perhaps we could have Bo Jackson day here in Cincinnati to have him break the curse. Or maybe we could do a reality show like the "Surreal Life" and have Dave Shula, Big Daddy, Reinard Wilson, James Francis and David Klingler hanging together and discuss the "good ol' days".

They need some serious difference-makers or play-makers on defense. Kelly Washington (3rd in 2003) and Chris Perry (1st in 2004) were unnecessary picks considering all of the other glaring needs on this team. I would like to see this team begin to stockpile defensive players. Look at the Steelers. It seems like year after year they just reload.

I don't need to go to the Super Bowl every year to be happy but I would like to watch a well played game more than a couple of times a season. I am willing to give them this year and even next year but at some point we have to turn the corner and not be the joke that we are every other week.

Guys the losing has gone on for nearly thirty years not 12 or 13. My son was born in February 1991. This was about three weeks after the last Bengals playoff game which was against the LA Raiders when Bo Jackson injured his hip. So in my boy's entire life, the Bengals have never had a winning season, only a couple of 8 and 8's.

I went back and did a little research and found that since Paul Brown retired as coach after the 1975 season, the Bengals have been to the playoffs a total of four times (1981, 1982, 1988, 1990). That's over 29 seasons!

During the first 8 seasons of their existence, they made the playoffs three times (1970, 1973, 1975). I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter who the coach is or what players they get, this franchise can't seem to win.

Perhaps we could have Bo Jackson day here in Cincinnati to have him break the curse. Or maybe we could do a reality show like the "Surreal Life" and have Dave Shula, Big Daddy, Reinard Wilson, James Francis and David Klingler hanging together and discuss the "good ol' days".

They need some serious difference-makers or play-makers on defense. Kelly Washington (3rd in 2003) and Chris Perry (1st in 2004) were unnecessary picks considering all of the other glaring needs on this team. I would like to see this team begin to stockpile defensive players. Look at the Steelers. It seems like year after year they just reload.

I don't need to go to the Super Bowl every year to be happy but I would like to watch a well played game more than a couple of times a season. I am willing to give them this year and even next year but at some point we have to turn the corner and not be the joke that we are every other week.

Jesus Christ. He's right. The Bungles ARE THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS of the North.

:rolleyes::angry::huh:;)

I think we might have been fortunate by not getting Sapp. He hasn't exactly been all the Raiders had hoped for! :unsure:

1. The jury is still out on Rudi Johnson at PBS obviously.

2. Warren Sapp is past his prime and not worth the money. I truly believe he had no intention of signing with us. We were leverage for him to get more money out of the Oakland Geezers.

3. Oh dear God.

4. Parcell's, and others, have done the same thing. Bring in players they knew personally from previous teams to try and fill holes. If they work out, great, if not, hopefully they help until they find someone in the draft or another FA.

Hasta Luego!

Take care.

Bob

Not to generalize, but this organization has always made the offense first priority rather than the defense. Only for a few brief times have the Bengals had a "dominating" defense. One in which you didn't have to score alot of points in order to win. I hope that Marvin's influence will be able to move this group towards that fundamental change in the future.

3. I believed Kitna should have been given the starting job at the beginning of the season and let Carson slide in. Some of the young successful QB's playing today started playing during mid-season; I wonder if there is a confidence factor not having the burden of being a savior for the entire off-season.

Wow, that would be all we need to add to this QB situation is both of them looking over their shoulder. It would negatively impact Palmer's play and development if he was splitting time. Then we would get to do this all over again next year.

Well to me I think I've hung in there this long what's 1-2 more years. I started the year saying I was going to be realistic this year & optimistic next year! 1) Perry was insurance since ther is no quarranty he'll sign next year also they tried to address the D-line by drafting MA, RG & trying to get Sapp & Gardener 2) Sapp isn't doing squat w/ the Raiders & isn't worth the money he's getting! 3) Why not let Palmer take his lumps now so we dont have to wait 2-3 yrs instead of 1-2 yrs to become the great QB i believe he'll be. 4) I think alot of Wash. players ML knows & was brought in mainly due to need because of injuries. GO BENGALS!!! Jonboat

Wow, that would be all we need to add to this QB situation is both of them looking over their shoulder. It would negatively impact Palmer's play and development if he was splitting time. Then we would get to do this all over again next year.

Worked for Leftwich, Pennington, Culpepper, McNabb, Roethlisberger (so far), Brady, Vick, McNair, Favre, and EVEN BOOMER!

What are you rambling about?  Roethlisberger isn't looking behind him.  He is looking forward.  So did Culpepar, McNabb, Favre, Culpepper, etc.

Are you talking to me?

Yes. I want to see where you see these QBs splitting time. Roethlisberger went from backup for this year (just like we did to Palmer) to injury start. He continues to start without looking back because he is NOT worried about Tommy the one year wonder Maddox, and simply plays the game like he did in college.

Culpepper sat his first year, took a few snaps (and threw no passes) in 1999 as a rookie and started every game his second year.

McNabb started 6 games his rookie year, I can't remember why, but he didn't crack an 80% passer rating until his 3rd season.

Favre threw 5 passes his rookie season in Atlant and then started 13 games in his sophmore season taking over. he threw more interceptions in his 3rd season than his second, but he has always been a competitor.

I'm confused how you can say splitting time worked for these guys.

That is pretty damn funny. One of the funniest things I have seen here in a while.

We could invite back Ki-Jana, Akili, Tremain Mack. What a show.

Imagine the opening sequence..."It's the B-U-N-G-L-E-S!!!!'

Damn that is funny.

That is pretty damn funny. One of the funniest things I have seen here in a while.

We could invite back Ki-Jana, Akili, Tremain Mack. What a show.

Imagine the opening sequence..."It's the B-U-N-G-L-E-S!!!!'

Damn that is funny.

As long as Tremain doesn't do any driving. He might pull over and stop the bus on the bridge of one of the busiest interstates in the US. We wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. :wacko:

from bengals.com...

Surrounded with familiarity

Lewis has taken a page out of the Parcells book and added role players he knows that will do what’s asked. He has signed only one of his old starters in former Ravens safety Kim Herring, but he hasn’t been shy about going after role players that have been on teams he’s coached in Baltimore and Washington:

Defensive lineman Carl Powell (Washington), safety Anthony Mitchell (Baltimore), cornerback Rashad Bauman (Washington), wide receiver Cliff Russell (Washington), center Larry Moore (Washington), running back Kenny Watson (Washington).

The familiarity has extended to his coaching staff. He grew up with the Hayes brothers, worked with linebackers coach Ricky Hunley and wide receivers coach Hue Jackson in Washington, special teams coach Darrin Simmons in Baltimore, and strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton in Baltimore and Washington.

“The ability to place the right people around you,” said Lewis of what he admires about Parcells. “I think this is the one thing that is the aura of Bill. The fact that he is going to bring his people around. People he can count on in stressful situations. He can count on his players and coaches in stressful situations. He’s able to surround himself with people he needs to be successful.”

Here we go again.

Ummmm, no you didn't read my post. I said:

I believed Kitna should have been given the starting job at the beginning of the season and let Carson slide in. Some of the young successful QB's playing today started playing during mid-season; I wonder if there is a confidence factor not having the burden of being a savior for the entire off-season.

In translation for you half-wits, it means Kitna starts and at some point -- between mid-game of week 1 to mid-game of week 17 -- the backup (i.e. Carson Palmer for you half-wits) would come in to finish the season and begin his reign. Then you, take some bolony words and ASS-ume I'm talking about "splitting time" WHICH I never said. Again, NO, you didn't read my first post.

The whole point was saying Carson shouldn't have been given the burdon of being the "savior" the entire off-season. The team should have eased him into it.

Just so I can make sure the "numbers" is correct, here are the QBs BIOS when they first played (or started) making way for their jobs. BTW - I'm just quoting from the official websites.

Pennington: From the Jets website, "Took over the starting QB job in the fifth game of the year and had an 8-4 record as the starter."

McNabb: From the Eagles website, "Saw his first NFL regular season action in the 2nd half vs. TB (9/19/99)" during week 2.

Brady: From the Pats website, "Recorded his first NFL start in 44-13 victory vs. Indianapolis (9/30)" during week week 3.

Leftwich: From the Jags website, "Took over the starting job in Week 4 at Houston Sept. 28 after Mark Brunell injured his left elbow the week prior"

Vick: From the Falcons website, "After three weeks of inaction the 21 year-old rookie came off the bench at Miami (12/30/01) in Week 16 in the second quarter when starter Chris Chandler injured his elbow."

McNair: From the Titans website, "IN 1995, saw his first NFL action on the Oilers' last two series of the fourth quarter at Cleveland (11/5/95) after beginning the game as a dressed-third QB."

Favre: Don Majkowski started the first game, got hurt, Favre started ever since.

I think I'm finished with this s**t...