1,400 Yards, 13 TDs. Minimum.

HoosierCat

Found this little nugget in Peter King's most recent MMQB column. His giving his fantasy football tips for the year, and number 2 is:

2. The most underrated player in the draft is Rudi Johnson. I was stunned to see him ranked 23rd in SI.com's overall ratings. I think he'll have more yards than Clinton Portis. I think he'll be a 1,400-yard back with 13 touchdowns, minimum. I'm not saying Chris Perry won't get some carries there, but Marvin Lewis will go with Johnson as long as he's hot.

Wow. Minimum. All I can say is that I hope PK is right. Rudi does that well & even our crappy D won't keep us out of at least one playoff game. :player:

If Rudi runs as he did last year there is no doubt in my mind that he'll have more yards & TD's than Portis. With a big season ahead of him picking him up in the 5th round to combo with Homles for my RB's for Fantasy is looking like a great move. Could have the top 2 RB in the NFL this year.

muahahah...

RUDI RUDI RUDI RUDI RUDI RUDI!

Sorry guys to burst your bubble but most of you don't realize that Rudi Johnson is simply a NICE runningback. I agree that he could even have more yards than Portis because the Skin's o-line sucks and Portis will have a tough time staying healthy. But don't get your hopes up too high.

Let's not forget that, as Kirk properly alludes to, Rudi won't have much running room until Carson proves he can take the heat. Until then, it will be attack city on Palmer and Johnson.

Musa Smith is just as good and he is our backup ;)

We have little to go on when comparing Rudi to the league's best. Lewis and Portis can carry a team on their back when the team as a whole is playing awful (see Ravens ;) ). When Kitna had bad games, with the one exception, Rudi didn't perform well.

Also, Portis is more of a modern RB than Rudi. Portis can run the sweep play, as well as hit with power, see his blocks, envision a running lane (both faster than Rudi), and actually catch the ball -- not saying Rudi isn't, but he isn't an outside RB nor has he been consistent on catching the pass out of the backfield.

I'm not anti-Rudi nor am I pro-Lewis or pro-Portis, but quite frankly, its way too early in Rudi's starting career to bring up any comparisons. Personally, I'd rather win games with Rudi rushing 20 times for 20 yards and win... I could care less how he or Carson performs.. I just want to win baby!

(I'm just waiting for the "Josh is NOT a Bengals fan" post.. BRING IT ^_^ )

ya but thats why we picked up perry for ;) to run to the outside and to catch the ball.

and jamaal will be brought back down to earth this season. He wont come within 500 yds of that total again.

ya but thats why we picked up perry for  ;)  to run to the outside and to catch the ball.

But that begs the question; will defenses see this as well? Is this another tendency the Bengals offense offers in predictability such as what tight end entered the game in 2003?

It has that potential, but I think the coaches will prepare for that, and mix it up enough to keep defenses honest.

ya but thats why we picked up perry for  ;)  to run to the outside and to catch the ball.

But that begs the question; will defenses see this as well? Is this another tendency the Bengals offense offers in predictability such as what tight end entered the game in 2003?

It has that potential, but I think the coaches will prepare for that, and mix it up enough to keep defenses honest.

I hope they do, they need to. I've been very critical from day one at the coaches inability to mix things up on a consistent basis. My biggest problem is that when the running game wasn't going well, they became a one dimensional passing team... and vice versa. My hope for 2004 is to see everything at all times, whether it works or not; you have to put that "anything is possible on any down" in the defenses' mind.

I hope they do, they need to. I've been very critical from day one at the coaches inability to mix things up on a consistent basis. My biggest problem is that when the running game wasn't going well, they became a one dimensional passing team... and vice versa. My hope for 2004 is to see everything at all times, whether it works or not; you have to put that "anything is possible on any down" in the defenses' mind.

I think they've been trying to keep it simple for several factors including all the coaching and personnel changes.

Still, there can always be an excuse for slimming down the playbook, etc. (this year it would be a new QB), but at some point you've got to stop making excuses and add some more variety.

Musa Smith is just as good and he is our backup  ;)

Just what to you Base that statement on ?

If you've followed the SEC for the past 6 years you would know that Rudi was a very nice starting runningback at Auburn and Musa was a very nice starting runningback for Georgia.

Musa is hardly even our backup if you count Chester Taylor. I know you guys can laugh at that name but our backups are as good as your starters. (Exception being qb and receiver of course)

Jamal has never rushed for less than 1300 yards and that was in his rookie year. He's also 24 so I wouldn't worry about him not getting 1500 yards this season.

And I hope everyone realizes that he will not be serving jailtime. The case is simply a headline grabber brought to you by Ashcroft & Co.

IMO Rudi IS a nice starting running back for you guys but to pretend that he could sniff Jamal's numbers is laughable.

Marvin is no dummy, you don't draft Chris Perry if the he was even close to Jamal in skill and ability.

Musa is a good back. He was a monster at Georgia. Ratbirds will need him as Jlewis actually will be missed due to the impending legal issues. The case has some credibility and will drag Lewis down late in the year. It is not "cut and dried" at all. I doubt he serves time but will be distracted enough to miss a game or two, or be ineffective in a couple of games.

I think comparing Jamal and Rudi is a bit silly. I'd look more at the O-line. The Cincy line, barring injury has the potential to be as good, or better than the Ravens front.

I think the Bengals and Ravens will split the series and vie for the div. again. Against common NFC east opponents I see the bengals having the edge, if only for the better passing game, especially as he season wears on.

Boller neess to get much better in a very short time, or he'll be toast.

Marvin is no dummy, you don't draft Chris Perry if the he was even close to Jamal in skill and ability.

Had more to do w/ being Mikey's pick, IMO.

And Rudi was up in the air w/ the 1-year RFA tender and will be a free agent at end of season. A RB draft pick was wise but maybe not in the 1st.

Rudi is a break-away threat of a horse who won't ever get Jamal numbers as long as Boller or other of same caliber QB is taking snaps up there in Baltimore.

But in Cincy, Rudi won't need to match Lewis because of Bengals pass game. Too much reliance on the run leads to a loss like that vs. Titans in playoffs. If Jamal can't get yards, it makes it a whole lot harder for the W.

Quit acting like we need Deion to make tackles! LOL

You guys are killing me. Run in a 3 receiver set if you want to.

But Deion is only playing in 3 receiver sets.

So have at it.

Our team defense is ferocious enough that it won't matter. In order to get to Deion you'll have to get through Thomas, Boulware, Suggs, Ray, Hartwell, Reed, etc etc.

Your boys are in trouble.

Quit acting like we need Deion to make tackles! LOL

You guys are killing me. Run in a 3 receiver set if you want to.

But Deion is only playing in 3 receiver sets.

So have at it.

Our team defense is ferocious enough that it won't matter. In order to get to Deion you'll have to get through Thomas, Boulware, Suggs, Ray, Hartwell, Reed, etc etc.

Your boys are in trouble.

Actually running in 3 WR sets isn't a bad idea....The fullback is a dying breed I'm afraid....See a team come out in a 3wide formation for every down what's deon gonna do? The old man is gonna get his ass worn out....Besides teams are expecting pass, then you run...keeps them off balance.....

What makes you think this? If you are correct, then I think having Perry and Rudi on the same team is the least of our worries and in the end, nothing's changed.

The fullback is a dying breed I'm afraid

Actually Kev, I'm on the strong belief that there's an evolution going on right now in professional football in seeing the power running game replaced by short RB screens and dump offs. There are a few teams that keep the run first and see what happens mentality like Baltimore or Carolina, but for the most part the entire power running game is a dying bread and that truly sucks.

What makes you think this? If you are correct, then I think having Perry and Rudi on the same team is the least of our worries and in the end, nothing's changed.

It seems true to me because we didn't need an RB and not just because Rudi is here. Troy Hambrick could gain 1,200 yds behind the line we got. And so could Kenny Watson.

The Perry pick defied logic IMO. Where there's logic being defied, I'm usually thinking Mikey out of habit.

Not that Perry is a bad player or won't make a good pro, but he looks to me right now as the 3rd string RB even though he'll be Rudi's backup to justify the pick.

Had things went to hell w/ Rudi contract wise or a trade too good to pass up sent Rudi packing, the Perry pick would've made more sense. It did make some sense because those possibilities were there.

But I don't think Perry was the best available player with that pick or an impact player for this year the way another rook could've been on the DL or DB.

But in any event, it's not unreasonable for a team owner to be hands on since ultimately it is their team to do with what they please. Whether or not that happened w/ Perry is not all that important because this team is largely ML's team.

A lot has definitely changed w/ ML in Cincy. And changed for the good. :)