Rookie Mini Camp Day and other OTA Stuff from People There

membengal

Re: the above...

That's so important on so many different levels. For Joe personally, to always be trying to get better. And for the example it sets for everyone else on the team - means each player will consciously or subconsciously work to meet that same standard. We've already been reminded of that again this week with Tee and Logan Wilson there and working out rather than sitting out voluntaries (like usually happens with players in their kind of contract status). We really have not had someone quite like that on that score at QB in my lifetime (1970 to the present). No offense to Kenny A and Boomer especially, but this is something quite different. It's a HUGE piece of the puzzle for why this team has gotten good and why it has a puncher's chance to stay good as long as Burrow is here as the leader of this team. 

Robbins is the clear favorite, but no way in hell with Simmons is it not going to be a competition.

Dorsch was drafted (who had an absolute foot cannon) and didn't unseat Harris (?) then eventually cut under Simmons because he wasn't consistent.   Huber had to beat out an incumbent vet as a rookie if I remember correctly it wasn't a lock at all of him making it.

Then they cut Elliot to keep Fat Randy.   Elliot in his rookie TC had some bad days.   Just last year they initially kept Huber over Chrisman despite Chrisman having higher ceiling and many observers thinking Huber would be cut. 

Simmons isn't going to mess around with inconsistency in the short term no matter if he might have egg on his face down the road. 

My guess is Robbins wins the job, but he better be consistent holding on FGs, and producing punts they can count on. 

He held for the field goal kicker at Michigan just drafted in the third round...Simmons has a LOT of tape that this guy holds and holds well. 

I agree with Army - this is Robbins' job Chrisman to the practice squad I would imagine. 

IMO, this could be the best RT and Swing Tackle situation Burrow has had.   Health will be the key as always.

At the end of the day Burrow almost won a Superbowl playing behind a line with 2 starters that failed to make rosters the following year (Spain and Hopkins).   Then 2 more starters that were regulated as back ups the following year.

Its time for the overall offense to approach Boomer type averages and the line to significantly decrease the amount of pressures/sacks/hits.   

In all honesty, I think Chrisman sealed his fate with that last punt against the Chiefs in the Championship game.  Right down the middle of the damn field, which saw Moore return it to the 50 yard line.  While that didn't lose the game, it certainly played a part in the Chiefs closing it out.  Drafting a punter was an easy decision at that point.

Regarding the o-line, if the starters manage to stay healthy, this offense is simply deadly.
People seem to focus on Burrow and he rightfully gets that attention, but this offense really is stacked.  There might not be a better WR #1-3 in the league than Chase, Higgins and Boyd.  I think they already had a decent #4 and they even upgraded that spot with Charlie Jones, who is also a return guy.  Mixon is back, which despite all the talk, we all knew that was happening, but they add Chase Brown who I think is going to be good.  If Irv Smith Jr. can manage to stay healthy at the TE spot, this is going to be a really fun season to watch them all work.

God forbid the defense holds tight in the secondary and they manage a pass rush that gets home a little more and there is no reason not to expect knocking on the Super Bowl door yet again.

Hoo boy, THIS is interesting:

Gotta say, per our previous discussions, he is moving WAY better and earlier than I might have reasonably guessed this soon after the knee surgery.  He said three weeks or so ago how good he was feeling and how much better his back was feeling and I wondered if the rehab for the knee was helping in other ways and this is maybe an indication that it might be. That  looks like a guy who will be ready at some point in 2023, either for this team or someone else...

• Like 1

He’s been at all voluntaries / but this is the first time we’ve seen him doing work. That looks like decent drills for a guy of his size coming off an acl repair a few months back.