Bengals Sign Orlando Brown

ArmyBengal

Literally the least surprising thing ever:

The Bengals didn’t intend to trade Williams. They intended to move him to right tackle following the signing of Orlando Brown Jr. as their left tackle. The problem is Williams wants to be a left tackle so he asked to be traded.

But a funny thing has happened to Williams en route to being traded: No one has so far been interested in giving up a high draft pick for the 25-year-old player.

“He’s not a big man with long arms and he plays like it,” one NFL general manager told OutKick. “He might not even be a tackle.”

So who trades for a player perhaps best suited to play an interior position when he’s insisting on playing left tackle? So far, nobody.

Williams has stood his ground and isn’t likely to fold about moving positions. He was asked to move to center at Alabama his senior year and refused, according to one NFL scout.

https://www.outkick.com/nfl-annual-meeting-league-boasts-great-2022-burrow-hurts-herbert-headed-for-extensions-but-not-tua-who-will-go-no-1-trade-market-at-a-standoff/

40 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Williams won't pull a Glenn.   If push comes to shove he'll collect his $12m and play RT.    There's a pile of money bags awaiting him if he can stay healthy and play just average RT football.    Then he can address his LT over anything else desires during his FA tour.

57 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

This is where an agent helps.  He can shop this dude around as follows:  “available - one of the worst left tackles in football, gave up the most sacks of any left tackle in the league last year, come and get it.”  

Then when he inevitably gets stiff armed at every turn. He can have a frank conversation with his client regarding what the market thinks of him as a LT versus a RT or G.  Unless the player is just stupid in a way that permits him to engage in self- defeating behavior, he’ll come around.  

If he doesn’t come around, once reality is presented in bold type, he’s just not too swift.  

• Like 1

You know, his level of suckage at RT might be even more pronounced than at LT.
He might end up getting benched for some lesser name on the roster and free agency takes a huge shit on his bank account in 2024.  I have always said his best approach would be to play the year out of RT and give it all he has while playing on a Super Bowl contender.  Walk that shit into free agency and now he's a "versatile" player that can fill in at either of the OT spots in a pinch.

To be honest, I don't give a shit about this dude at this point.  He's an annoying inconvenience at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

You know, his level of suckage at RT might be even more pronounced than at LT.
He might end up getting benched for some lesser name on the roster 

Usually, we draft a lineman, start him for years on his rookie deal while he totally sucks, then his second team ends up benching then cutting him.  It would be progress for us to just bench/cut our own draft miss for once.

It hurts,” the tight end said. “It hurts. It hurts my soul, man. It’s like watching your best friend just turn evil on you. Obviously the past, like, two years we’ve struggled beating the Bengals, so there’s been a lot of build-up in the emotion of like, I wouldn’t say ‘hate’ but dislike towards the Bengals because they keep beating us, and they keep talking about it every time they do. To see him to go the Dark side, it’s an awkward feeling.”

Kelce on Brown joining the Bengals via Cincy Jungle

• Haha 1

The butthurt keeps on coming. From Kelsey Conway last night:

New on the Jonah Williams trade request: The #Bengals didn’t communicate with Jonah before they were planning to sign Orlando Brown. He was blindsided. The team didn’t tell him ahead of time they were thinking of moving him to RT, a source close to the situation tells me

"A source close to the situation." LOL. Just say Jonah's agent, Kelsey.

As for being blindsided, from all reports so were the Bengals. They weren't actually pursuing Brown, he called them.

Look, I understand, it's tough when they sign someone to do your job. But it's been two weeks. Time to get over it. Suck it up and deal. Like Army keeps saying, play well at RT and you'll be worth even more next March.

Who cares?   Stay healthy, play decent RT and get paid.    I understand William's side if he can get to another team via trade before the draft he can reasonably try to beat the $12m he's scheduled to make.    

This is the same crap the Bengals some how mistreated Dalton because they didn't call before he was offered in a trade or something.  Who fucking cares?  Cash your check and STFU.

Jonah Williams has a lot of nerve complaining about the Brown signing.  

He gave up more sacks than any left tackle in the league last year.  

After that signing, he should be grateful the Bengals are laying out the red carpet for a career reset for him at another position.  A lot of teams would handle it differently.

• Like 1

Dude is tone deaf as hell. Look at your stats big boy and let that be the guide for those 13 year old girl emotions.

The Bengals don’t owe you a conversation ahead of time. The fact you feel slighted by something you aren’t entitled to speaks volumes.

Allow me to share a thought I use to give to Chad Johnson…

FUCK YOU JONAH !!!

• Haha 1

Blindsided is funny.   If that's not Jonah's thoughts he should lighting up whoever chose those words.  

He was drafted out of Alabama, first round.  First OTA his competition (Cordy Glenn) uh, you're now Left Guard.     He knows how this shit works.     Saban wasn't informing him about every 5 star tackle he was visiting when being recruited and after committing.   

Come on,  any athlete good enough to make it to the pros has been beating out competition since 9 years old or younger.   They all know someone eventually comes for their spot. 

Every damn year 300/400 new college athletes make training camps and they haven't expanded team in years and roster numbers don't expand to match the new rookies.  

• 4 weeks later...

Collins:

He's vowing to give an Opening Day return a shot. Given his surgery was in mid-January, that's a Herculean task. But at the very least he says he'll be back for the stretch run.

"They have been my support group. My family has kept me going," Collins said this week after rehab session. "I'll find a way. That's what I'm all about. I have a don't-be-denied mentality."

Collins missed the 2020 season in Dallas with hip problems, but he says that injury was more restrictive than this one. He says Nick Cosgray, the Bengals director of rehab, is working wonders with him.

"Right on schedule. Everything clicking the right way. No setbacks. No pain. I think I'm in a good place," Collins said. "I've felt like I've been one of the best in the game. That comes with a little wear and tear, but the best ones figure out how to play through it."

Collins, who turns 30 the week training camp opens, says the upcoming season is motivation enough.

"When you're on the type of team we have," Collins said, "knowing how close we were and knowing how good we can really be and also knowing we have the talent to be able to go get a championship, that will continue to push me."

Good to hear. Keep on grinding, big guy.

https://www.bengals.com/news/sean-clifford-workout-la-el-collins-update

We’ll have to see how it all shakes out, and maybe it’s just talk, but the rap on the guy coming out of Dallas was that he was unmotivated/lazy. If the change of scenery has snapped him into better shape upstairs, well, that would be a good thing. Rooting for him.

Did not know that about Jonah refusing to move at Alabama.  Not a good look, did the Bengals' not already know that about him, before drafting him? (asking him to move to RT and expecting him to do it here)

If his attitude is going to suck anywhere but LT, then I don't know how you keep him around.   Collins' isn't someone you can rely on right now.  Ford neither.  Wonder if Collins' and Williams' both get ruffled if they draft an OT in the first 2 rounds.

Better draft someone pretty good.

There's pressure on Pollack, IMO.   You just can't start the season off sucking dick giving up whatever obscene amount of pressure they did.  Basically taking 4 winnable games and turning it into 1-3 record.    

Given that, Collins is done.   Even if he's cleared before August.  How the hell are you going to count on him when he practiced twice last year and on 1 of the days he started a fight (with the Rams) because he was getting whooped so bad?  I mean if your Pollack and you mark him down as starter then your just an idiot coach.

Williams - I have little concern about.  I think they move him eventually.  Roster numbers before the draft dictate some OL are leaving even before they draft.  If they don't then he has a lot to lose if he acts like a baby.   How the hell are you going to sell yourself to teams refusing to block for Burrow on a Superbowl team? 

Overall the line has to be improved.   The early season numbers from last have to be skewed because they were all on vacation last year during August.   So those numbers are not the norm.   Then late season injuries derailed what became an average line.   LT is improved.   They played and won playoff games with Adeniji and Prince playing RT.    

I mean your lining up Brown, Karras, and Cappa.   3 of your 5.   I don't care who you fill in the other two spots, if you can't drastically reduce the pressure on the QB then they need start firing coaches.     

Personally,  I don't think Carman has to improve all that much to match what Collins gave them mid season.   They probably should have been starting Adeniji over Collins in the first couple of games.   He was ass.    Carman is just a big question over 17 games.   He was on the bench for a reason but its also from a coach that we've had to basically hand pick FAs for and the standard of 3 sacks of game seems normal around here.

Remember when Bengal fans would bitch non stop about Brat and Alexander and Palmer was just getting sacked 25 times a year?   I mean its a holiday in Cincinnati if they only give up 3 sacks in a game today.  Crazy.

Jonah's situation is still one I'm very curious about and will be watching closely during the draft.
All it takes is one team to miss out on a prospect they were hoping to get and them getting antsy.
I can very easily see a draft day trade happening in the first few rounds.  Again, I'm not expecting much more than Jonah helping them swap picks with another team and the Bengals moving up in the order.  I would be ecstatic with that trade to be honest.  It's either that or they have a glut of mediocre talent trying to fill the RT spot.

Truthfully, as the days go by, I'm leaning more and more to thinking they may not even address the o-line in the draft until the later rounds.  Brown, Karras and Cappa are all studs.  Having another year in the league and being in an NFL lifting program won't hurt Volson in the least.  That RT spot is concerning though.

I would be happy to see them draft a player capable at starting at RT, but don't think it happens.
I'm not a fan of ANY of the current roster players thought to man that spot and still don't think Collins is back for much of the season. 

Over behind the ESPN paywall today, McShay has a new draft rumors column, and one of them is that the Steelers are looking to trade up for a tackle. Given that virtually every mock has them taking a corner, usually Porter Jr., that could help with creating a trade partner for Jonah.