Bengals Sign Orlando Brown

ArmyBengal

3 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Well, it might be a 20 foot tentpole if the guy was an ORT rather than an OLT

or rather, if he was W I L L I N G to play ORT.

He isnt

As such, our biggest problem remains unresolved despite spending a big chunk of stadium naming rights money that was supposed to go to New Guy

I am also really still reeling from the losses of Bell, Perine, and Hurst.  All on contracts that were well within our means to pay. all heart and soul leaders of this team. 

So those losses aside, do we just park Jonah at 2nd string OLT?  I think moving him to ORT will end up being a really really really bad thing

What to do with Jonah for one year.

What indeed

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you Mr. TJ Jackson, the only man who could possibly bitch about the Bengals signing Orlando Brown, bitching.

TJ, never, ever, ever, EVER change! :D :D :D

Hehehe

I get it

It's a big signing at a position I talk about endlessly, and it hurts the Chiefs at the same time (sorta.  They signed his replacement, who is also a star)

But again, no one here can legitimately deny that the real need was (and still is) at ORT, not OLT

You can say Jonah moves to ORT and will upgrade the spot.  But we dont know that.  I honestly am certain that will be precisely what is tried.....heck, I'd bet good money if I had any that Pollack is already talking to him about it.  I just dont think it will go well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Two pages in I have to say that clearly, Amphar picked the wrong night to go to bed early.

He’s not asleep.  He’s writing a 10 page Unabomber manifesto on why Joe Mixon MUST not be cut before we draft some kid in the fifth round from Texas Tech.  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Hehehe

I get it

It's a big signing at a position I talk about endlessly, and it hurts the Chiefs at the same time (sorta.  They signed his replacement, who is also a star)

But again, no one here can legitimately deny that the real need was (and still is) at ORT, not OLT

You can say Jonah moves to ORT and will upgrade the spot.  But we dont know that.  I honestly am certain that what will be tried.....heck, I'd bet good money if I had any that Pollack is already talking to him about it.  I just dont think it will go well.

Look at it this way: the odds of DL at 28 just went up!

How’d the island of misfit prove-it deals do in this Orlando Brown contract?  Well, a few days ago the Athletic rated Brown as the 4th best available free agent, and meandered about regarding what his new deal would look like.  Behold!

The expectation is Brown will want an extension with more guaranteed money than the offer he declined last summer: six years, $139 million, $30.25 million signing bonus, and $91 million in the first five years.” 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here’s the perspective I love seeing.

The Bengals signed Brown for the same amount Bates got on his deal.

Regardless of ANYTHING else, that is a fucking huge win for the Bengals no matter how you look at it.

Like I’ve always said, I’m fine with the Bengals letting guys walk in FA if they DO SOMETHING with the money, aside from invest it in vintage Lumina parts. Tonight they very definitely did something with it and I am 100% down with it.

Just now, ArmyBengal said:

Blew the thought process of the Bengals sitting back in free agency out of the water. Wonders never cease with this team and I love it !!

God I love football !!!

They truly are an organization transformed.  No one in the league has adapted/changed like the Bengals.  No one is even close.

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Look at it this way: the odds of DL at 28 just went up!

Well, we still need to draft an ORT high.  I get it that the heir apparent ORT might be at 28.  I'd rather get him in r2 but if the better player between 3TDT and ORT is the ORT, you almost certainly get the ORT

Everyone… including me, thinking how are they going to afford Burrow, Chase, Higgins and the plethora of free agents next year ??

The Bengals front office… FUCK THAT, we want Orlando Brown !!!

I mean, what? What wonderful world are we living in that this shit happens with the Bengals ?? So fucking great to be losing sleep tonight all geeked the fuck up !!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, COB said:

How’d the island of misfit prove-it deals do in this Orlando Brown contract?  Well, a few days ago the Athletic rated Brown as the 4th best available free agent, and meandered about regarding what his new deal would look like.  Behold!

The expectation is Brown will want an extension with more guaranteed money than the offer he declined last summer: six years, $139 million, $30.25 million signing bonus, and $91 million in the first five years.” 

Well, they got the bigger SB part right at least! I remain stunned at how…reasonable the deal is. The bonus and guarantees are departures for the Cincy FO but league-wide this is pretty par for the course. Is this how fans of normal teams feel? It’s weird…

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

Everyone… including me, thinking how are they going to afford Burrow, Chase, Higgins and the plethora of free agents next year ??

The Bengals front office… FUCK THAT, we want Orlando Brown !!!

I mean, what? What wonderful world are we living in that this shit happens with the Bengals ?? So fucking great to be losing sleep tonight all geeked the fuck up !!!

We have screamed at them for years to stop mortgaging the present in fear of the future and go all in. This is what all in looks like. So strap in, here we go!

1 minute ago, TJJackson said:

Well, we still need to draft an ORT high.  I get it that the heir apparent ORT might be at 28.  I'd rather get him in r2 but if the better player between 3TDT and ORT is the ORT, you almost certainly get the ORT

Maybe, maybe not TJ. Jonah is definitely moving to RT and I don’t have a concern with that. He covers however long Collins is out and when Collins is ready, he may be the better option and is currently signed through 2024. I’m not giving up on him yet.

If a guy like Kancey is there at 28, he does more for the pass rush next to Reader than a rookie RT that may not see the field.

Maybe Jonah moves. Maybe he’s traded. Maybe RT is still in flux for a bit with Collins hurt.

I don’t care.

A massively important position has just been upgraded for a team in Super Bowl contention. Joe Burrow is going to shred the league in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me why Hurst, who went on and on about how he'd found a home here and was finally being used right, apparently didn't even check back with the FO before signing with Carolina, a team that will go nowhere this year?  This one really bothers me.

I think because the Bengals knew if even they happen to use their first round pick on a TE, it would be a 4 year deal, with a 5th year option that would pay less than what Hurst just got for 3 years.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me why Hurst, who went on and on about how he'd found a home here and was finally being used right, apparently didn't even check back with the FO before signing with Carolina, a team that will go nowhere this year?  This one really bothers me.

Apparently the Bengals were only offering Hurst and Bell short-term deals, 1-2 years. Other teams were offering longer deals with more money. Championships are great but I of you are an older player and this might be you last payday (and a bigger one than you might have expected because of your production in 2022 that might never come again) you take the money.

• Thanks 1