2023 Senior Bowl

Oh, hey, yeah, this thing got going yesterday…some stuff from ESPN:

Biggest takeaways from day 1 practice was mostly about the QBs but there was this:

One group that did stand out was the tight ends. I wrote about this group last week in our Senior Bowl primer, and what we saw on Day 1 was spot on with expectations. Oregon State's Luke Musgrave was the best all-around tight end here, but Clemson's Davis Allen also showed good hands and body control over the middle. The same goes for Cincinnati's Josh Whyle, who some teams view as a potential fullback in the pros. -- Matt Miller

Standouts:

Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech

Sometimes a player can win their group or practice session with a strong eyeball test and a few moves. On Tuesday, that was White. The 6-foot-5, 280-pound pass-rusher has excellent power on tape, and that lower-body strength showed up in practice. At one point, he executed a perfect spin move in offense vs. defense 11-on-11s, displaying agility, balance and a great bull rush coming off of it.

I admit I was late to come around on White, but more than half a dozen of the scouts I polled at the Senior Bowl say he's the top-ranked prospect in Mobile this week. The buzz around White is that he'll be a first-round pick, with one scout for a playoff team even wondering if he'd still be available when it selects in the later parts of Round 1. White had 7.5 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss in 2022.

Derick Hall, DE, Auburn

Hall started the week on a good note, measuring in with 34 3/8 inch arm length on a 6-foot-3 and 252-pound frame. Those are great numbers considering one of his biggest questions heading into the pre-draft process was regarding his size. And then in the practice session, Hall routinely showed up when rushing from a stand-up position, something that should excite teams with base 3-4 defenses. He also turned in a GPS-measured speed of 19.21 miles per hour on a punt coverage, via Zebra Sports.

Hall does need to develop a counter pass-rush move -- we saw him trying to use a rip-and-under move too often on Tuesday -- but his power and use of length are exciting tools. He posted seven sacks and 13 tackles for loss this season, and teams I've talked to this week believe he is a top-40 prospect.

Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford

Wilson provided many "wow" moments in the first practice of the week, exploding off the line of scrimmage to eat up the cushion of opposing cornerbacks. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound receiver had a quiet year for the Cardinal (26 catches, 418 yards and 4 TDs), but he was the best wideout on the National roster on Day 1.

Wilson's explosive ability off the line and power to push press coverage has him moving up my board. Coming into the week he was a late-rounder, but he looks more like a third-round prospect after proving his physical traits can pop outside the very conservative Stanford offensive system.

Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami-FL

In a cornerback class waiting for someone to stand out, Stevenson stole the show in the afternoon practice session. His length pops off the field, and at 6-foot and 204 pounds, he has NFL size to play on the outside. Stevenson's best trait, though, is his recovery speed, which showed up routinely in practice against the best receivers the American roster has to offer. He is the best cornerback on either roster and shouldn't be a surprise as a top-40 selection. He had two interceptions and six pass breakups this season. -- Miller

Notes:

Clemson defensive end K.J. Henry was very impressive in positional drills on the first day of practice, showing excellent body control and agility in space during zone drops and chase drills. He was overshadowed by the first-rounders while playing on the Clemson defensive line, but he is coming off his best season and can be, at worst, a very solid role player in the NFL. He's a fringe top-100 player for me.

Texas running back Roschon Johnson was the most impressive running back of Day 1. A 6-foot, 225-pound back with great power, Johnson was recruited to Texas as a quarterback before moving to running back after injuries hit the Longhorns. Scouts tell me his football instincts and work ethic are off the charts. His ability to pick up the pass rush in one-on-one drills Tuesday was also top-notch, and his power, explosiveness and hands were all on display. Johnson is a sneaky Round 3-4 player with starter traits, despite playing behind Bijan Robinson at Texas.

Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave was billed by scouts as the best pass-catcher in attendance at the Senior Bowl, and he absolutely looked the part on Tuesday. He missed all but two games in 2022 to a knee injury but looks healthy running around without a brace on his recently repaired knee. He's a big throwback tight end (6-foot-5, 255 pounds) who will dominate the middle of the field. Musgrave has gotten consistent first-round grades from NFL scouts.

Everyone likes a sleeper, and the Senior Bowl is great for finding them. Kansas State cornerback Julius Brents stood out in 11-on-11 situations with his tough, physical style of coverage at 6-foot-3 and 202 pounds. Brents was the surprise of entire day on Tuesday and will send me back to the film room to see how his in-season play matched his practice performance.

Illinois safety Sydney Brown is a player to watch Wednesday when the teams move to full-padded practices. He's an urgent, top-down player with disruptive traits, and he shows position flexibility in pro sub-packages. There's a physical demeanor to his game.

Iowa cornerback Riley Moss (6-foot, 192 pounds) had a good first day in one-on-one sessions and team drills. He's a technique-sound defender with the lower-body flexibility to change directions. And he matched speed down the field in man coverage.

Houston wide receiver Nathaniel Dell lacks ideal NFL size at 5-foot-8 and 163 pounds, but he looked like an explosive target in the pass game on Tuesday, with the lateral speed to separate underneath and the vertical juice to stretch defenders. He was a sudden mover on the field.

Another receiver who flashed on Tuesday? Michigan State wide receiver Jayden Reed, who popped during one-on-one drills. He displayed easy separation and set-up ability on in-breakers, while also winning over the top.

Ohio State offensive tackle Dawand Jones has an opportunity to move up draft boards this week in Mobile. With his massive 6-foot-8, 375-pound frame and length at the point of attack, Jones can close the door on edge rushers despite his limited foot quickness. His 89½-inch wingspan was the longest measured in at least 25 years at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35564252/senior-bowl-practice-2023-nfl-draft-best-quarterbacks-prospects-sleepers-risers-nuggets-know

Bonus Shrine Bowl takes:

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Draft range: Late Day 1, early Day 2

Although he only participated in one practice, it was apparent that Flowers moved differently than his Shrine Bowl counterparts. In segments of Sunday's practice, he showed off suddenness, strong hands and savvy route running ability -- traits we saw routinely from him at Boston College. He generated a lot of buzz among NFL scouts, and there are some evaluators who believe Flowers might be the first receiver off the board in April. He caught 78 balls for 1,077 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2022.

A.T. Perry, WR, Wake Forest

Draft range: Day 2

I saw Perry play on multiple occasions this season, and he displayed many of the same qualities in practice this week that he did for the Demon Deacons (81 catches, 1,096 yards and 11 TDs). At 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, he has a slender frame, but his top trait is body control. Perry has an innate feel of how to haul in passes, which is apparent in his routes and when attacking the ball in the air. He was consistent in pulling in tough passes in traffic and creating separation throughout the week of practices.

Atonio Mafi, G, UCLA

Draft range: Late Day 2, early Day 3

I was probably most impressed with Mafi at the Shrine Bowl. He was dominant from the first competitive drill of the week right through the final one. At 6-foot-2 and 338 pounds, he's a bruising interior blocker who has a lot of strength and was consistently able to anchor and halt defenders' pass-rush plans. His best moments came during the 11-on-11 periods where he displayed his run blocking ability. His power was evident when clearing lanes and allowing rushers to go untouched through the second level. Mafi has the potential to be an early contributor for NFL teams that rely heavily on man-blocking schemes.

Kei'Trel Clark, CB, Louisville

Draft range: Early Day 3

Clark was the defensive player who helped himself the most in Las Vegas. He switched between playing outside and nickel during the team periods of practice and made plays wherever he lined up. His best session came on Monday, when he was able to find the ball in the air and come down with an interception. Clark frequently found himself around the ball and was the energizer for the East team. During last year's practices, Jack Jones -- a fourth-round pick of the Patriots -- had nearly identical moments during practice. Clark is similar in stature -- 5-foot-10 and 191 pounds -- to Jones and he is also projected as a nickel at the next level.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA

Draft range: Day 3

Thompson-Robinson was the steadiest quarterback and handled practicing in an NFL system well, displaying poise and command. He got through progressions cleanly and found targets in a timely manner, as the ball came out of his hand with consistency and velocity. DTR also showed awareness of knowing how much touch to put on his throws. The most mobile of the QBs in attendance, Thompson-Robinson was able to show consistency making plays outside of structure. He could be an option in the fourth or fifth round for teams in search of a developmental backup. He threw for 3,169 yards, rushed for 646 and scored 39 total touchdowns in 2022.

Terell Smith, CB, Minnesota

Smith rebounded well during the week after some struggles to begin the first day of practice. The 6-foot, 207-pounder was one of the few cornerbacks able to make consistent plays on the ball, routinely in position. He crowded throwing windows and was also able to get his head around to impact plays on many occasions. As a former track athlete, Smith's fluidity and speed flashed frequently during the one-on-one portions of practice against receivers. He had two interceptions in 2022.

Jadon Haselwood, WR, Arkansas

Haselwood is a smooth operator and technician, and he caught 59 passes for 702 yards and three TDs in 2022. He's an easy route runner and was able to consistently generate separation against defenders. He shows creativity in his releases and route stems, and he's already ahead of the curve in those areas. Haselwood plucked the ball out of the air and made numerous strong grabs during practices. He could be a mid-to-late-round target for teams looking to fill out their wide receiver group. And he can provide value outside of receiver, as he returned kicks and punts throughout the week.

BJ Thompson, OLB, Stephen F. Austin

Thompson was clearly one of the best players during the pass-rush portions of practice, lining up both with his hand on the ground and as a stand-up outside linebacker -- though he appeared to be more comfortable when he operated from a two-point stance. He displayed first-step quickness and good hand usage, and he was routinely able to gain the corner on many offensive tackles. However, at 6-foot-5 and 238 pounds, Thompson still needs to gain weight. He's likely to be a designated pass-rusher who could see the field during obvious passing situations.

Dante Stills, DL, West Virginia

Draft range: Late Day 3, undrafted free agent

Stills was as consistent as they came in Las Vegas practices. He proved to be stout against the run and flashed some moves as a pass-rusher. A bit of a tweener, Stills played multiple positions for the Mountaineers and was primarily used as a 3-technique during practices here. That's likely his best spot moving forward. After settling into his own when asked to penetrate the first level, Stills made a lot of standout plays there. He had 4.5 sacks and eight tackles for loss in 2022.

Demario Douglas, WR, Liberty

Draft range: Late Day 3, undrafted free agent

Douglas was one of the more consistent players throughout the week. He got open during each portion of practice and quickly became a go-to target for all of the quarterbacks on the West team. Defensive backs had a lot of trouble keeping pace with his sudden movements, and he dominated the middle of the field and caught everything thrown in his direction. A smaller target at 5-foot-7 and 175 pounds, Douglas is a slot-only receiver who creates mismatches. He caught 79 passes in 2022 and was just shy of 1,000 yards.

I forgot all about the Senior Bowl, although I don't pay a particularly large amount of attention outside of write ups.

Of those mentioned, there are a few that I am more familiar with than others.
I think this class of TE's are pretty good, but to get the ones I really want, they would have to go there early and I don't expect that to happen.
The WR's of Zay Flowers and AT Perry I have seen play this season and was impressed by both.  However, I don't expect them to be there when we would, or if we do, consider WR.
I like Dorian Thompson-Robinson as a later round QB prospect.  I want an upgrade to Brandon Allen that can be brought along.  I like that if he had to get into the game and hold things together for a week or two, his legs provide another valuable tool in that situation and forces the defense to adjust to something they didn't plan for from Burrow.
Stills is an interesting late round guy.  Him and his brother played together at West Virginia.  His brother washed out of the NFL and Dante may do the same, but he's interesting.

• Like 1

For those interested in Right Tackles:

Dawand Jones - OSU.   Started RT the past two years.    Got some snaps at LT the two years prior.

He is mentioned by a few as making a positive impression on Day 1 of Senior Bowl practices.  

The first day of practices is underway, but before the players even hit the field, one of the biggest winners at the 2023 Senior Bowl was Dawand Jones from Ohio State.

While conversations have been circulating about whether or not he's a first-round offensive tackle prospect in the NFL Draft, he certainly made a strong case for himself when he measured in at the Senior Bowl.

Jones has a ridiculous frame, measuring in at 6-foot-8 with 11 3/8" hands, 36 5/8" arms, and an 89 1/2" wingspan, which is the longest wingspan in Senior Bowl history. Those measurements alone will put him in the conversation to be a first round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

ize alone is going to get him looked at as a first round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but you pair that with his technique and movement skills that he's showing at the Senior Bowl and he's already starting to lock his name into that conversation.

Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

Jones is the biggest and longest prospect at the Senior Bowl (6-foot-8, 375 pounds). He looked like a mountain of a man on the practice field Tuesday. I have some concerns about the way Jones redirects his weight and keeps his balance against movement up front, but he had a rock-solid performance in his first practice of the week. In both his run-blocking and pass-protection reps, he was effective in using his frame against opponents. The former Buckeye was able to envelop and halt his challengers more times than not.

The only bad news is Tomlin was front and center for the reps and they rumored to be interested.

Some OL notes from Charlie Campbell over at Walter football.com.

Day 1

Months ago, WalterFootball.com reported how some teams thought that North Dakota State offensive lineman Cody Mauch could be this year's Cole Strange. Mauch opened his 2023 Senior Bowl week by justifying that praise. He showed impressive recovery in the pass-rushing one-on-ones to push defensive tackles around the quarterback marker. Mauch also packed a serious punch as a run blocker, rocking defenders at the point of attack and getting to blocks on the second level. Mauch has a powerful frame and blocks with serious tenacity. He may not have the length to play offensive tackle in the NFL, but he could definitely be an effective guard. This was an impressive start for Mauch considering he is undergoing a big jump in competition coming from the small-school level to playing Power Five all-stars.

Two offensive tackles who had mixed openings were Maryland's Jaelyn Duncan and BYU's Blake Freeland. Duncan has a good skill set that includes quickness and athleticism. He had some nice one-on-one reps, kick-sliding with speed rushers to seal the edge. There were other losses where he seemed to overset and defenders were able to dart past him. Duncan has physical talent, but he is raw and needs development in his technique. 

Freeland has size that would probably make him fit better at right tackle in the NFL. There were some impressive reps where he manhandled rushers, including one time when he buried a defender into the turf. However, Freeland can get in trouble when he stands up too high. Hence, playing on the right side could be a better fit.

Notre Dame offensive lineman Jarrett Patterson had an ugly opening practice. He had some horrible fumbled snaps, a false start, and was knocked backward on a number of plays. Patterson looked much better with the Fighting Irish, so perhaps he will bounce back mid-week.

Day 2

Florida guard O'Cyrus Torrence might be the only true interior lineman who ends up going in the first round this April in the 2023 NFL Draft. Torrence is a mountain of man who packs a punch in the ground game. He got his Senior Bowl off to a nice start, blocking well in the pass-rushing one-on-ones. Torrence negated a speed rush from Alabama'a Byron Young by pushing him around the pocket. Torrence then stonewalled a bull rush not giving an inch. In the ground game, he was generating movement as well. One factor that hurts Torrence though is a bad body, which leads to teams having worries about his weight, conditioning, work ethic, and longevity. It would help Torrence if he drops some weight prior to the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine and Gators pro day.

https://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2023.php

Senior Bowl Wednesday stuff from ESPN:

Biggest takeaway from Day 2

I was really impressed with Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener and Michigan State receiver Jayden Reed in the first practice session. I love Haener's tape, and while he is undersized (6-foot, 208 pounds), every ball he threw on Wednesday was on the mark. Nothing phases him in the pocket. He showed really strong anticipation and an ability to change arm angles, and his confidence stood out. At one point, he climbed the pocket and rolled to his right to hit a receiver. And even though he completed the pass, Haener went right up the pass-catcher after the play to talk through where he wants him on those throws. Scouts love to see that stuff. He's one of those midround QBs that will be a solid backup but could potentially develop into a starter down the road in the NFL if he lands in the right system.

Reed, meanwhile, entered the week as a fourth-round prospect for me after catching 55 passes for 636 yards and five TDs this season, but I'm not sure he gets out of Day 2 now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a second-rounder. He showed great release off the line of scrimmage, and the play speed is absolutely there. Reed made multiple plays going up and getting the ball downfield, and his play just popped among the receivers.

I'll also shout out Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave and Tulane running back Tyjae Spears. Both prospects had great afternoons, and they are definitely rising. -- Todd McShay

Wednesday's best quarterback performance

Max Duggan, TCU

I thought Duggan was the most consistent quarterback during the second day of practice, as he made multiple throws into tight windows. At one point, he completed a challenging seam throw, showing poise and accuracy. And during the team period, Duggan had one of the best throws of Wednesday's practices when he tossed a corner route to Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave.

But his best series came during the two-minute drill, when he drove the American team offense down the field and nearly finished the drive with a touchdown. He has been forced to play more within structure at the Senior Bowl than he did at TCU, and he adjusted well to the circumstances during the second day. -- Jordan Reid

Day 2 standout prospects

Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin

Benton flashed multiple times throughout the second day of practices, showing power on a 6-foot-4, 312-pound frame. He has a stout, stocky build but showed the first-step quickness and agility to handle playing in a 3-technique role. Benton can consistently rush from the inside and win (4.5 sacks and 18 pressures in 2022), and we saw a really nice spin move in practice.

Benton had some top-50 buzz from scouts headed into the week, and it's easy to see why. With many NFL teams looking for inside pass-rushing, and with the 2023 draft class being light at the position, he has a chance this week to move up draft boards. He has been one of my favorite defensive line prospects to watch this week at the Senior Bowl. -- Matt Miller

Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford

After a standout first day (which Miller talked up on Tuesday), Wilson continued to get open during all competitive periods on Wednesday. He showcased savvy route running and strong/reliable hands, he has been the most consistent wideout of the group this week. At 6-foot-2 and 216 pounds, he has an impressive build.

Wilson only recorded 26 catches last season, but his ability was hidden in the Stanford offense. Evaluators think that he could be a better pro than college player, and while he was seen as a mid-Day 3 selection before the Senior Bowl, he's now generating some early-Day 3 buzz. -- Reid

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

One of the biggest plays of Wednesday came on a screen pass during 11-on-11 drills. The ball was dropped to the right flat with defenders giving chase. Then came Schmitz, laying a crushing block to spring the runner into space.

Schmitz has had a wonderful first two days of practice and has been the most impressive offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. His ability in space will give scouts a Creed Humphrey-like vibe, and he also routinely handled seal blocks and head-up defenders in the session. If you're looking for the first center to come off the board, Schmitz is taking the spot. He allowed just one sack all season in 2022. -- Miller

Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston

Dell gave us plenty of "wow" moments during the second day of practice. He has the ability to speed up and shut it down in an instant, and defensive backs had trouble keeping pace with his route stems and change-of-direction skills. He was also able to show off his catch radius on multiple occasions, hauling in multiple tough catches. Dell was the nation's leader in receiving yards this season (1,398), but at 5-foot-8 and 163 pounds, he's a smaller receiver who will require a specific role in the NFL. Still, teams in search of dynamic playmakers could target him in the middle rounds. -- Reid

Quick-hitters from Day 2

Matt Miller

Stanford cornerback Kyu Blu Kelly really impressed on Day 2, showing toughness in coverage and very good instincts when matched up with receivers in one-on-one drills. The National roster doesn't have a top-flight cornerback prospect, and through two practices, Kelly has been that team's most talented cover man. It's fair to say he has improved his draft stock in Mobile and is moving into my top 60.

The big cornerback is en vogue in the NFL, and South Carolina's Darius Rush fits the bill at 6-foot-2 and 196 pounds. He plays a physical brand of football at the line of scrimmage, runs well down the field and made several impressive plays on the ball during one-on-one drills. He played in the shadow of Cam Smith at South Carolina but has made a name for himself with physicality, length and speed. He was buried on my board as a potential mid-Day 3 player before Mobile, but his play through two days looks more like that of a top-120 pick at a premium position, and he has the tools to be a good CB2 in the NFL.

Illinois running back Chase Brown is the type of Day 3 runner that NFL teams should be excited about following the successes of Tyler Allgeierand Isiah Pacheco from the 2022 draft class. Brown is a hard-charging runner at 5-foot-10 and 215 pounds, and his tape showed a special ability to break tackles. Through two practices, he has displayed well-rounded ability as a receiver, pass protector and returner.

SMU wide receiver Rashee Rice struggled throughout one-on-one drills and didn't show the speed to separate from sticky coverage. He was a 50/50 ball specialist at SMU but entered this week needing to answer questions about his speed and separation ability. But he will need to show more on Thursday to back up his current top-50 grade.

Jordan Reid

Northwestern defensive lineman Adetomiwa Adebawore had an impressive showing during the one-on-one portion of Wednesday's practice, and during the team parts of the session, he was used at multiple spots along the interior. Adebawore is best projected as a 3-technique in a four-man defensive front.

Florida interior offensive lineman O'Cyrus Torrence continued to look like a first-round player on Wednesday. He was my highest-ranked prospect coming into the week, and he has actually exceeded expectations. He showcased overwhelming power and the ability to anchor at the point of attack. Torrence projects as a mid-to-late Day 1 selection.

Tulane running back Tyjae Spears opened a lot of eyes during the second day of practice. He had a 45-yard touchdown run during the team 11-on-11 portion of practice, displaying vision, burst and finishing ability. He's likely a complementary back at the next level as a versatile asset in both the pass and run game of an offense. Spears will be a popular target in the third or fourth round.

Matt Bowen

Jackson State linebacker Aubrey Miller Jr. is a powerful player at the point of attack with second-level range. He flashed those traits in one-on-one drills and team sessions on Wednesday.

Oregon State tight end Luke Musgrave has the frame and catch radius to work the middle of the field in a pro system from traditional alignments. And in the two-minute drill at the end of the Wednesday practice, Musgrave flexed to the slot to work the second and third level on corners and seams.

North Dakota State's Cody Mauch has the inside versatility to align at center or guard. He plays with second-level mobility and has the strength to handle power at the point of attack. It has been a really good week for Mauch in Mobile.

Riley Moss, CB, Iowa

Moss has to prove he can stay healthy, which isn't something he can do in one week's time at the Senior Bowl, but he is an underrated cornerback prospect who has been steady in every drill and scrimmage session. He has good size (6-0, 192 pounds) and above-average instincts, and can play a variety of coverages, as we've seen here in Mobile. There might be some teams who are interested in transitioning him to safety, but he is proving that cornerback is his position and he is opening some eyes this week.

Those intrested in DBs.   Could be a CB or S fit. 

DB talk:

Illinois safety Sydney Brown had a breakout performance after a relatively quiet first two days. He was given a lot of difficult man coverage assignments throughout the day, including against WRs and TEs, and had a lot of success.

Cal safety Daniel Scott had a quieter day than usual, but was still one of the best DBs on the field for the National team.

Boise State safety JL Skinner had a few impact plays in run support and was looking more comfortable in man coverage on Thursday. He’s someone with tremendous potential, and you can tell he’s been learning throughout the week.

Iowa CB Riley Moss has been one of the best corners in Mobile thus far, and had a really strong final day. He’s sticky in man coverage and timed as one of the fastest players at the Senior Bowl.

Stanford CB Kyu Blu Kelly couldn’t quite replicate his smothering performance from Wednesday, but is still clearly one of the top DBs in Mobile. His confidence in man coverage really stands out—you can tell how much trust he has in his technique and athleticism.

Maryland CB Jakorian Bennett had a good final day after struggling a bit earlier in the week. Bennett gave a few receivers fits and broke up several passes throughout practice.

• Virginia CB Anthony Johnson was a bigger winner from Thursday’s practice. Johnson had a solid if unspectacular start to the week, but finished strong with a sticky day in coverage. He had multiple PBUs and acquitted himself very well against a talented WR group.
  • South Carolina CB Darius Rush bounced back from a tough opening day to establish himself as one of the better corners in Mobile. He notched multiple picks on Thursday and timed out as the fastest player at the Senior Bowl at nearly 22 MPH.
  • FSU safety Jammie Robinson had a quieter day after a breakout Wednesday, but remains the best safety on the American team. He also got a lot of work returning punts throughout practice.
  • Kansas State CB Julius Brents was up-and-down, but his flashes are really encouraging and you have to love his blend of size and athleticism.

More Tackle Talk:

• North Carolina OL Asim Richards turned in another good performance, playing mostly at tackle on Thursday. He’s not someone I scouted at all prior to the Senior Bowl, but he’s definitely on my list now.
  • Maryland OT Jaelyn Duncan has had his ups-and-downs, but had a good day on Thursday. You can see why he has his fans: he’s got a terrific combination of size and athleticism.

The biggest overall winner from the offensive line on Thursday, Syracuse OT Matthew Bergeron had a tremendous practice after turning in two solid performances earlier in the week. Bergeron blocked everyone effectively and had a few “wow” moments as a run blocker in team sessions.

Oklahoma OL Wanya Morris bounced back after a couple of difficult days to start the week. He looked much more comfortable playing at tackle and generally held his own against the top edge rushers.

Bummer for Dawand:

Ohio State offensive tackle Dawand Jones is out for the rest of the Senior Bowl after reporting concussion-like symptoms early in the week, though the move is considered precautionary. Jones told trainers he had a headache, so he's being held out to be safe but will stay with the team throughout the week. The massive 6-foot-8, 375-pound tackle had a good first practice, so he overall helped himself in Mobile. But teams wanted to see more.

DJ absolute winners:  Those interested in LBs

Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

The big test for Henley was how he would hold up in coverage against all-star competition. Well, he passed that test with flying colors. He's instinctive and he can run. Henley has a chance to be a Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) pick.

Note:  This guy has gotten praise by several other sources too.

DJ absolute winner for those interested in edge rusher:

Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa State

McDonald has been the best pure rusher here, with his combination of speed and the ability to bend at the top of his rush. There's no doubt he has the top spin move of anyone at the Senior Bowl. I think he's a lock to be a top-50 pick. He might even go in the first round when it's all said and done. To me, he's a better player than the Titans' Harold Landry was back in 2018 as a prospect out of Boston College, and Landry went early in Round 2 (41st overall).

McDonald a  little undersized. 

Keion White, Edge, Georgia Tech

He came in as my top-rated Senior Bowl player, and I thought he improved every day. He didn't have that wow moment that jumped out to everyone, but he was steady. White has big-time power, as we saw in some of the one-on-ones and the team period on Thursday. He's a Round 1 player.

DJ absolute winners for those interested in Secondary:

Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

Miami's Tyrique Stevenson is my highest-rated cornerback here in Mobile, and he was really consistent on Tuesday and Wednesday before not participating in practice on Thursday. He can get a little too handsy in coverage at times, but he proved he can run with the all-star wide receivers. He's a feisty player.

However, the corner that excited me the most this week was Brents. At 6-foot-3, 202 pounds, he's loose and fluid for a big player at the position. South Carolina CB Darius Rush deserves a mention, as well. Stevenson, Brents and Rush are big, athletic guys who can make plays on the ball.

Sydney Brown, S, Illinois

Brown reminded me of a former Illinois safety we saw last year in the Senior Bowl -- the Lions' Kerby Joseph, who had a very good rookie season. They went to the same school and they both have great instincts, and big-time production. Brown trusted his eyes this week and it paid off.

Brown has received praise from several sources as well.

• 1 month later...

Bengals host Senior Bowl standout Aiden O’Connell (QB, Purdue) for a private workout.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/3/28/23660243/aidan-oconnell-bengals-nfl-draft-news-visits-2023

I do think it very possible (especially after their interest in Rush came out) that the Bengals will take a QB somewhere in the 4-6 range. O’Connell is generally regarded as a 6th rounder this year.

• Like 1

Agree that the Bengals will be taking a young QB in the draft to mentor behind Burrow.

I still like the kid out of UCLA, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, as I have stated before.
He's a late round guy like O'Connell.  He also has the ability to make play with his legs and should we need to bring a QB in to replace Burrow for any amount of time, having the ability to run will give a different look for defenses when he comes into the games.  Maybe there's someone better at that.  If so, I will take whoever that is as another option.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Blast from the past:

Blame this on not being in the conference championship game.     Update on some of the Senior Bowl hero of yester year.

1. Dawand Jones - Browns - 4th round - 9 starts.  I think most DAWG fans are happy with him.  Made PFF all star rookie team.

2. Cody Mauch - I think he's still missing teeth.  Bucs - Round 2.  If you think PFF is worth a crap he graded poorly.  Higher number of sacks given up but appeared to be day 1 starter all season long for playoff team at Guard.

3. Riley Moss - Denver Broncos - 3rd round.  Got 6 starts at the end of the year.  Not sure what happened to him during the year.

4. John Micheal-Schmitz - Giants- Center- Round 2 - Injured on a "tush push" play.  PFF again if you think its worth a crap, poor grade.

5. Sydney Brown - EAGLES - Round 3 best known for being twin brother of Chase Brown.  Had some nice game changing plays.  Got hurt last week of season.  Good PFF.

6. Will McDonald IV - Edge rusher - JETS - 1st round - 3 sacks

7. Keion White - Edge Rusher - PATS - Round 2 - 1 sack

8. Julius Brents - DJ's top senior bowl CB - Colts - Round 2 - 9 games played.   Good PFF if you believe in that.

9. O' Cyrus Toorence - Buffalo Bills - Round 2 - Day one starter for playoff team.  PFF rookie team

Conclusion: Guys that get noticed at Senior Bowl - get drafted and play. 

• Like 1