2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

The thing at TE is that cupboard isn’t just bare, it’s also missing shelves and doors. If they had to play a game today, their starting TE would be Asiasi. The only other TE currently under contract is taxi squadder Tanner Hudson.

As much as I like Hurst, he turns 30 this August. He’s not a long-term solution. I would love to have him back on a 1-2 year deal, 3 tops, but I wouldn’t pass on a top-tier guy at the position if that’s the way the draft falls.

Agree.  With the number of TE's in this upcoming class, I would like to see them take one regardless of what they do with Hurst.

Bates in Atlanta?  Enjoy the money, because you sure won't be sniffing a consistent playoff expectation, let alone the Super Bowl.
Again, I wouldn't have much issue with Bates' return, but I don't think that's the best approach to handling the cap.
Get Burrow's deal done and go from there.

I wish Bates well on his next team (unless it is a team in the division). He's earned the right to get the biggest bag possible and he played hard here to the end. No complaints on my end - he will always be a Bengal first in my mind. 

• Like 1

If Bates is gone - and thats as close to certain as any such thing is, imo - I guess they have to try to sign Bell

Hurst is someone I'd love to have back even tho he is on the tail end of his career and age 30.   I dont think he'll be expensive.  2 years max,

I would really like to keep Pratt, but not for insane money.  and I am guessing he wants the insane money.   Have to have money to extend the WRs.  We will find out in the next few weeks if Pratt prefers winning or insane money..........like we pretty much already found out with Bates

There's really no reason they can't upgrade Volson at LG if they're not targeting G/C relatively high in the draft.   Even a reliable mediocre FA would be better, and let them battle it out.  

There are several FA options that are affordable who grade out much, much higher than Volson and Jonah and Collins.   There really shouldn't be a higher priority than finding better protection for Burrow and run blockers IMO.  If that includes a stud blocking TE so be it as well.  

It's also a reason I wish they'd ditch Mixon and get 2 backs who are worthwhile blockers, 

Volson's got a year of experience now and is fine as a depth guy who can still develop, but you don't count on him as a starter after last season if you're serious about winning a SB.

True pass set grades:

Yeah, we can certainly find better at some of these positions and agree that the team should actively be looking to upgrade the roster at every given chance.  However, it's simply not as easy as us fans would like to think it is.  Meaning, most fans would agree that it would be awesome to switch out Jonah Williams for Orlando Brown at LT.  I sure as hell would.  However, when considering the Bengals are paying Williams 12 million and some change this year and he will probably get an extended contract averaging several million more, that speaks to value.  Conversely, Brown is going to get something around 23 million per year on an extended contract.  The difference in salary on a 5 year deal is another player's contract.

I get it, I might say the hell with it, spend the money there.  Burrow's protection is the most important.  I certainly won't argue that thought.  However, I can't see the team being willing to do that, especially considering William's 12+ million for 2023 is guaranteed and there is no cap relief in cutting him.

I remember wanting Jawaan Taylor when he left Miami and went to the Broncos.  Most hated him and thought he wasn't worth the money.  2 seasons later and he's the 18th ranked OT in the league.  Looks like he had time to continue getting better and has put himself in a position to get paid.  No reason to think after a rookie season of starting on an o-line that made it to the AFCCG, that Volson will remain the 35th rated OG.  Certainly not while playing next to the 3rd ranked OC in the league.  Let's take a breath for the time being.

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The chances they give up on Volson after one season are zero.

agreed.

I dont even know of any reason they'd give up on him, as his performance was well beyond expectations as far as I am concerned

I still want a talented pass rusher (preferably at 3TDT) either in FA or pick 31 of the draft.  My next priority is another pass blocker, preferrably an ORT due to uncertainty with Collins

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

There's really no reason they can't upgrade Volson at LG if they're not targeting G/C relatively high in the draft.   Even a reliable mediocre FA would be better, and let them battle it out.  

There are several FA options that are affordable who grade out much, much higher than Volson and Jonah and Collins.   There really shouldn't be a higher priority than finding better protection for Burrow and run blockers IMO.  If that includes a stud blocking TE so be it as well.  

It's also a reason I wish they'd ditch Mixon and get 2 backs who are worthwhile blockers, 

Volson's got a year of experience now and is fine as a depth guy who can still develop, but you don't count on him as a starter after last season if you're serious about winning a SB.

True pass set grades:

Volson is walking into Training Camp as the starter at Left Guard.     They would declare themselves fools starting him Week 1 with no hint of benching during the season then all of sudden draft or sign a replacement.   

Jonah Williams will walk into TC starting Left Tackle.  Again they would declare themselves fools picking up that option and starting him without questions since he's been drafted.

Karras - Walks into TC starting Center.

Cappa - Walks into TC starting RG.

Only unforseen injuries or bad news is going to change this, IMO.

Right tackle -  If you got time to play "GM" spend it here.   Collins is a ???.  Adeniji they like, but IMO isn't impressive when he's going bad.   Jackson has the most upside but really isn't trustworthy at this point.    I think it will be a top 150 pick at RT.   I do not see a top 150 pick for interior line or a Free Agency signing for Interior Line. 

Just read an article on the Athletic ranking the linebacker units on all 42 teams for both how good they are and how stable.  I was surprised to see Cincinnati ranked 9th out of 32 teams.  

They talked about Wilson being good, though extension not likely until after next year.  They blamed Pratt’s probable departure on his desire to be a 3 down back, and said based on that the bengals are unlikely to match any offer he might get.

I've mentioned this previously and will say it again because I think it bears weight.
I'm already figuring Collins being out for the majority of the regular season seeing as how he injured his ACL at the end of 2022.  NO CHANCE IN HELL, he's ready before the midpoint of 2023.  That being the case, his contract is set up to be able to walk away from him and save 10 million.  Maybe they feel he's worth holding onto as insurance for 2024 if the new RT doesn't pan out, I don't know, but to count on him at any point in 2023 is foolish at this point.

Draft a new RT in any of the first 3 rounds, preferably no later than the 2nd for me, and keep moving forward.  Maybe that's a guy who can play LT and he's the future replacement for Williams if they decide not to bring him back in 2024.  They have options for sure.

Im not against drafting a ORT high, Army, in fact I've gone on record as outright favoring it :-)

but

the overall-positive Volsen experience aside, I dont want a rookie starter protecting New Guy

If the team feels as you do that Collins wont be ready for game 1 of 2023, then arrange for a veteran replacement.  Is Adenij it?  I dont think so.  Can Carman play ORT?  I doubt it.  Can Scharping, who played OT in college and is just enormous, be converted to ORT?  I doubt this as well.  

so I say a middle-tier (or better) FA ORT needs to be brought in.  Hopefully someone who wants to play for a winner and the Burrow effect can lower the price. 

If we commit to a ORT draftee within the first 2 rounds, then it can be a Reiff type who can fill in for 2023 while the draftee is groomed for a year

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins is cut later on.    He wasn't the best keeping the Cowboys informed of his rehab.    Given the contract situation of Williams and having 2 starting Right tackles get injured two years in a row.    I think you'll see a tackle drafted if a properly graded prospect falls to their spot.

If that happens,  Collins would be odd man out, IMO.

Bobby Wagner is a free agent, wants to play for a contender.  The Rams are shedding salary due to their very non Mike Brown way of assembling that SB team that beat us.  

Wagner is a model citizen, a leader, a tackling robot from hell.  He’s an inside linebacker, would help in the physical world of the AFC North.  

Doubtful the Bengals see his position as a spot in need to the extent that they’d pay this dude.  I’d love to see it though.  Woody said you win with people.  That’s what Wagner would bring.  

We kind of need to find the Bobby Wagner of offensive tackles, if such a player is out there.  

Wagner is interesting for sure.    Played 99% of the snaps.   You wanna talk interesting contract structure look at this one.   I think he made $11m last year and probably was looking at $11m this year.    I'd assume that's were his asking price would be.

Given his age and Wilson's role.   He'd probably be asked to play 70% of snaps.   Probably a no go for the Bengals if $11m is the price.

There's a few names being speculated about cuts or restructured.  

Frank Clark - DE Chiefs.

Bud Dupree - rush LB Titans

CJ Mosley - LB Jets

Bryon Jones CB Dolphins

Shaquill Griffin - CB Jags

They have Mixon on the list but I'm doubtful he gets cut prior to the start of Free Agency.   I just don't see the Bengals with $30m+ in cap room this year and $137m+ next  severely opening up a need at RB even with looming extensions for Burrow, Higgins etc.