2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

With apologies to all of you who registered your respect for Tom Brady in here, I hate him.  Pretty much everything about him.  So I gleefully read a review of “80 For Brady” written by Corbin Smith for RS.  

He basically said the 4 female leads, Sally Fields, Lilly Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Rita Moreno, would be great together in almost anything.  So he questions why anyone would cast those four in a piece of shit that revolves around a crypto-schilling, cheating (2 convictions), Trump-loving douche like Brady.  

Two points to make - Brady has a charity that accepts donations from his retarded fans.  One of the charity’s main functions?  To pay Brady’s for-profit company, TB-12, Inc., for something called “Sports Therapy.”  So far, Brady’s charity has needed $1.6 million in “sports therapy” from Brady’s for profit.  Do you get it?  His charity launders donations as it funnels them to the beneficiary of Brady’s charity which seems to be Brady himself.  He probably uses Trump’s accountant.  

Second point - Charities require directors.  They presumably direct the actions of the charity to best fulfill the charitable mission that justified the tax exempt status bestowed upon it.  Alex Guerrero, Brady’s quack trainer and co-founder of Brady’s for-profit is on the charity’s board of Directors and has been paid about half a million dollars by the charity for his great advice.  But he couldn’t do it without his fellow director, John Burns, who served as CEO of Brady’s for profit.  He has been paid over 630K for his insights into how the charity can fulfill its mission.  

Anyway, Brady isn’t worthy of your admiration.  Corbin Smith’s writing is.  In the following passage Smith summarizes a scene in the movie (after the old ladies get in the coaching booth at the Super Bowl, take over the headsets and direct the offense and the defense to their 2nd half comeback against the Falcons).

Tomlin speaks with Tom. He says, hey, I couldn’t have done it without you, I am inspired by you, and you can have my jersey, even though “It’s got a lot of sweat on it.” He says this line in an unnatural register with an unrecognizable verbal syntax. It’s all very unconvincing.

The NFL, who has to carry this fucking guy around with them from here on out, wants you to feel like Tom Brady is a man just like you. Instead, you come face to face with a horror show who appears to have no idea how human beings talk.”

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, HoosierCat said:

Well, the reportedly just gave the QB coach a fat extension, so they seem to be working to keep the band together on that front.

Losing Lou was my biggest concern but it seems like teams are looking for HCs with an offensive background these days.

Just read he has an interview with Bucs for there OC? I thought now that he got a new contract that he was staying?

Man just hoping they keep these coaches together 

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler expects the Cincinnati Bengals to re-sign safety Jessie Bates III this offseason. Cincinnati will also have to consider extensions for quarterback Joe Burrow and wide receiver Tee Higgins this offseason, but Bates has made far too many plays for the Bengals secondary to let him go, including five interceptions in the last three seasons. In order to retain him, Cincy will have to spend near the top of the market for safeties. The 25-year-old finished the 2022 campaign with a career-low 71 tackles but also had a career-high four interceptions in 16 regular season games while playing under the franchise tag. The Bengals will have an estimated $44 million in salary cap space entering the 2023 season.

Would be a 180 degree turn, but there it is....speculation.   There are also some interesting names among the safety pool this year. 

That would be shocking at this point, but not something I would all together dislike. 
Not sure about paying him top of the market, but if the team wants to go there, that's their call.  Maybe Bell is the one on the outs then?
I could find far greater things to be upset about then having Jessie Bates and Dax Hill on the field at the same time.

Just for reference since we are now officially just a month from the start of FA:

February 21: clubs may designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 7: deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 13-15: Legal tampering period.

March 15: Free Agency begins at 4 p.m. eastern.

Speaking of free agency, did anyone else see the write up about if the Bengals would/should consider CB Jalen Ramsey, if cut,  in free agency?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/15/bengals-sign-jalen-ramsey-free-agency-rams-cut/

Not sure the price involved in a signing like that, but color me intrigued.
An AJ Green celebration during the home opener with highlights could be interesting !!

If they could somehow get him at a reasonable price, sure. I have always found him a bit overrated though, and he kind of smells like a FA bust to me. I have no good evidence to base that on, it's just a scent I am catching in the breeze. I think he could be a good #2 next to Awuzie.

I saw it pointed out somewhere that Ramsey gave up something along the lines of 200 more yards than Apple this past season

I dont say this to be down on Ramsey, per se, it is more about how I think Apple is a pretty good corner who likely would sign for less

as I say that, if I am the one writing Apples contract, it has a STFU clause :-) 

Better said, a weekly incentive clause for media silence from the start of camp through the end of the season

and of course performance incentives and a bonus for any week he is named the starter at one of the three CB spots.  If he's starting a game I have no issues with his pay rising to that of a starter for that game

If we are suggesting putting muzzles in, can I put the Cincinnati Mayor on there?  I don’t really think the Rams would outright cut Ramsey and I certainly don’t want to be trading picks for him AND that contract.  I think he really doesn’t fit the culture here as I mentioned previously as well. I just saw the write up and thought it was interesting.