2023 Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

NFL has a recovery time of about 9-12 months depending on severity of injury and position of the player. Seeing as how Collins is a lineman and weighs a boatload, I’m guessing close to 12 than the 9. Since he was injured on December 24th, that’s why I was thinking he would be out the majority of 2023. Of course I’m no doctor and maybe he heals sooner. I would just rather not put all my eggs in the basket of that happening.

Our long national nightmare is over.  Tom Brady is retiring from acting like a football player.  

If you find yourself missing the nauseating sensation of being immersed in the strange media worship Brady has enjoyed for 20 years, fear not.  The movie “80 For Brady” opens this weekend.  A bunch of old actresses get paid to act like they actually give a fuck about football and Tom Brady.  Right.  Hollywood sure has a handle on the American zeitgeist.  Go make about a hundred more superhero movies.  PS - Vegas odds Brady ends up in an actual superhero movie are 2-1.  

I've never been a fan of Tom Brady, but will give credit where credit is due.
It's not like he's walking away because he can't do it anymore.
He had nearly 4700 passing yards, a 67% completion rate, 25 TD's and 9 INT's.  Not to shabby.

That all being said...  Buh bye Tom.

Him and JJ Watt are eligible for Hall of Fame the same year then huh ??
Poor JJ will get like 3 minutes for his speech, while Tom will be up there for 2 hours.

They’ll be back.

Meantime, what you’ve all been waiting for, I’m sure: official numbers from the league re the cap and tags. Via gbnreport.com, the 2023 cap has been set at $224.8 million, up 8% from $208.2 million in 2022.

Cap figures for all teams:

https://gbnreport.com/over-under-salary-cap-figures-february-1st/

At $43.7 million, Bengals have the fourth-most cap space in the league.

Franchise/transition tag numbers for 2023:

https://gbnreport.com/2023-franchise-transition-tag-figures/

At $20 million for a tag I think we can rule out franchising Pratt…

I don’t think they franchise Bell but I might think about a transition tag there…

Could they franchise/transition Hurst? OTC sets his market value around $7 million/year so not totally out of the ballpark.

In the end I doubt they tag anyone with anything but just musing…

I think that, beyond the obvious core extensions and defensive FAs, the top priority has to be OL depth. I think they can legitimately go into next season with the same starting five and be fine, including La'el Collins. But we need better contingencies for the inevitability that at least one of them will get hurt. It's such a bummer to drop in two straight postseasons because of bad OL play. I don't blame the front office at all -- they did everything we could reasonably ask to deal with the problem last year. But the work isn't done. Draft 'em or sign 'em or both, but the status quo from 6-10 in that unit cannot continue.

Its going to seem like forever until free agency starts.      I don't think Bengals are going to dive into the FA market for OL.   I expect RT to be the big ? entering TC.   Hopefully they have a decent draft pick out there competing with Carman, Adeniji.    I think Collins will be a black hole so I expect Collins to be moving on.

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Just now getting over the game. Hope everyone is well here. Hard to be that close and miss. 

Dude, I feel you. 
My son and I left the game and the Chiefs fans were all being so cool.  Seriously never seen anything like it.
Just super gracious in their win saying things like, "You guys are really good and sure we will see you next year".
Didn't hear a single, "Fuck you" or "Fuck the Bengals".

Honestly, it was hard to return their graciousness, but I didn't want to be that guy so I just said thanks and take it easy.
However, when I got the car, I fucking lost it.  I was so pissed.  I was going off and to make matters worse, ArmyBengal Jr. just laughed at my anger.
I calmed down after that and I'm over it for the most part.  I feel bad for the team to have to start all over again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

43 million for draft picks and injuries leave just $700,000 for FA - Hobs likely

Well, $50 million for Joe and we’re already $7 million under. Going to have to cut Mixon just to afford the QB. Then we need at least 10 bills for Rookie Pool (the bastard) and his cousin Injury Pad. Cutting Boyd should about cover it tho we shoud cut Ossai just to be sure (and make Paulie A happy!). So yeah, we’re hard up against the cap, no room for FAs, Mike can’t even afford Jiffy Lube for the Lumina, gonna have to make Zac come over and change it.

Cap space numbers are meaningless to me without knowing how many and what players are no longer under contract.  I, dont think anyone ever presents them this way, but I'd love to see a second number where the current year cap number is added for players no longer under contract, since you still have to pay someone to occupy those roster spots, more or less

So......not saying we are retaining them, but just signing Pratt and Bates is probably half of that - and even if both walk, you still need a starting cover LB and a starting free safety, so you have to pay someone (sorry, no, I am not counting on existing players like ADG and Dax (respectively) to be that guy....though if they could, that'd be a huge relief to the cap) 

Then extending Burrow would likely eat the rest

and, as Joisey said, yeah, theres always the rookie pool and the injury pad.  

so 4th most cap space in the league sounds like a lot, but under the circumstances, as I see it. it really isnt

Hate me all you want, but I honestly think this coming year the Super Bowl window starts to close rather than opening more

They’ll engage in some shenanigans to deal with Burrow’s hit.  Shove a bunch into a signing bonus, defer this, performance bonus that, I don’t know. No one can keep track of all the bullshit tricks teams use to stay under the cap.  

Mike was never about that, buh gawd.  Pay a man a fair wage for an honest day’s work.  Yep, that’s how the NFL works.  

Hopefully they’ve got a capologist on staff and they’ll just tell Mike his day is over.  

Burrow is set to get $5m this year while costing $11m against the cap.    The 5th year option is projected at $19.6.    I would guess the structure is going to get Joe a helluva lot more than $24m the next two years while the cap hits won't differ drastically than this year and the option year.

Kyler Murray's deal got him $30m 2022 while counting $12.6m against the cap.  Gets him $39m 2023 while counting $16.0,  then another $39m while count $51.2m against the cap.

I guess you are referring to

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/broncos_sign_ot_isaiah_prince_to_futures_deal/s1_17039_38421022

Personally, I am sad to see him go. We need solid OL depth.  He's not a starter, but imo a solid depth player.  

I am guessing he has a connection to their new HC

Maybe we can get Fred to return :-)   (yes, I added that just for you, mem :-) )

ESPN doing the rumor mill thing from the senior bowl today. Thoughts here on Lamar.

Will Jackson return to Baltimore?

Fowler: Quarterback Lamar Jackson's future was a convenient talking point in Mobile, and most are in the same spot that they were six months ago. Most believe the Baltimore Ravens should place the exclusive franchise tag on Jackson and try to work out a long-term deal, knowing he's secured for one more year. And if it becomes clear that reaching a new contract is next to impossible, the Ravens can entertain trade offers closer to the draft.

"And it could become a standoff, because I wouldn't expect him to sign the tag for a while," an AFC exec said. "And they will be so far apart in the guaranteed money."

Yes, Baltimore and Jackson could possibly be $100 million apart there, a massive gap to bridge. Those trade calls are coming. I don't get the sense that that process has heated up, in part because teams are assuming Jackson will be tagged. It's still very early on this one.

I'd like to get Pratt back.

If they lose Mixon and Bates, not sure they can still afford all of:  Perine, Apple, Pratt, Bell, Hurst and Taylor.   But IDK, those are the players I'd prefer to keep.   No idea if they are going to be reasonably affordable.

No one behind Hurst,  Awuzi will be rehabbing in the offseason and uncertain,  no one of note behind Bell, or Pratt.    I hope they aren't too cozy with that o-line as-is,  Burrow can't be.   So there's money and draft picks (and cuts) happening there most likely too.  

The plan - we go linebacker in the 6th round.  We draft some stiff from North Carolina State.  

We fake Pratt into thinking he needs some surgery.  We put him under, then we extract DNA.  

The Bengals crack medical staff then uses the latest CRISPR gene editing technique on the 6th round depth guy, splicing Pratt’s genes in with this dude’s.

Pratt wakes up.  He’s like, “where’s my 12 million dollar a year contract?”

The Bengals are like, “What contract?  See our new rookie Frankenstein linebacker over here is working cheap with a capital C.  We call him Pratt 2.0, sort of a pseudo Pratt.”

Pratt’s all, “my DNA!”, and we’re all like, “that’s what I’m talking about, dude can straight up tackle!”  

Pratt signs with the Panthers and wins 4 games next year.  Pseudo Pratt is a soldier and gears up if you know what I mean, tears the AFC North to shreds and we win the Super Bowl.  Logan Wilson gets a nice fat extension.  

• Haha 2