AFC Championship: Bengals @ Chiefs

HoosierCat

11 hours ago, Stripes said:

The Patriots were a trash can before Brady showed up. This is how it has worked for decades, and folks are still slow to accept it outside the fanbase. And then, when they finally come to realize that their initial impression was wrong... many move straight to hating instead of commending.

So fuck 'em. Let's win a Lombardi.

They also benefited for years from an anemic division.

2 hours ago, COB said:

3 of the 4 teams left in the playoffs have a QB still on his price-controlled rookie deal.  Allows you to build a pretty talented team around your guy.  

KC is the exception.  They have still built pretty talented team around their guy.  

KC hasn't realized full cap cost of that contract, yet.   2022 was the first big year and it was only $35m.   Which saw them have to trade off a  top 5 WR etc.   2023 it moves up to $45m.

They signed that deal in summer 2020, I think.   So they've gone 3 seasons  of cap hits 5.3m (2020), 7.4m (2021), 35.8 (2022).

2023 the new league year they are projected with $14m cap space but only 35 players signed.   They will once again probably shed talent and attempt to replace.

This type of structure is what I hope Burrow/Bengals can get done.   Basically cement the lower cap hits for 23, 24, and 25 seasons.  

I expect the Bengals to gameplan for a fully functional Mahomes, with adjustments planned in advance if the sprain gets aggravated, ie dont have to spy him as much if so

I am pumped to hear that Flowers is practicing as he will have the ginormous task that is containing Kelce

Hopefully we win the game and the two weeks after will give Cappa and/or Jonah enough time to be good to go.

The Bengals were awesome against Dawson Knox on Sunday. Obviously he is no Kelce, but it leaves me optimistic since they were operating without Flowers. They seem to have a defensive answer for every crisis (I was terrified of Diggs against Apple/CTB too, and he did nothing). The safeties, Dax, and Flowers should combine to give Kelce a significant challenge -- certainly more than Jacksonville did. They basically just let him do whatever he wanted. 

Kelce is interesting.    They completely stopped him first half.   I can't remember but it was maybe 0 catches first half?  Very few targets.

Then second half I believe he started to shake loose and got a few balls.  Then fumbled one.       Is it something the Bengals don't sell out to stop him early and then adjust or do they sell to stop early and then let up later?  I don't know.

By the way KC fans on their message boards are great at the "ifs" and "buts" and some are legit.   The last 3 have been close games.  If anyone was honest they could have swung a different way if you change a couple plays. 

However,  can they at least admit Boyd dropped an easy TD?   There was a couple other not normal things happened that went against Bengals too.    

Honestly,  I thought the last game was closer than it should have been.  

Like last year Tenn may have been the best team in the AFC up until they lost to Bengals.   They did have wins over Buffalo and KC.   The KC/Buffalo game was awesome (this year and last Division round).   This year Buffalo may have been the best team but didn't have to play Bengals regular season and then got whooped.

Interesting piece on Carman by Sheeran, pretty fair assessment I think

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/1/26/23569740/bengals-film-room-jackson-carman-left-tackle-nfl-playoffs

I continue to struggle with the football versus person piece of this. 

Getting a quality young OLT while Burrow is here is a H U G E plus, particularly with Jonah struggling and near the end of his contract

I do get that, and ya'all know I am Mister GIMME A LINEMAN

but but but

you know the rest, no need to repeat,,,,,its in the article as well

The block Carman put on Trumaine at the end of that clip is still amazing to watch.
Everyone in the stands saw it and you heard a collective, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH" !!!

Carman might be the luckiest player ever.  Had that injury to Jonah not happened, he probably wouldn't have seen the field.
I still don't get the confusion however.  He's a natural LT and regardless of what people thought of his ability to play there in the NFL.
He struggled at every other position they put him in.  The fact he plays better at his natural position shouldn't shock anyone.
Now, does that mean he should be the LT of the future for the team?  Not necessarily, but I think they know what position he should play.

I don't have to (and I don't) like the character concern, but this has been more than a humbling experience for that young man and you would hope he's figured some shit out with his life.  If he has, maybe that makes the team relook the LT position long term.  Maybe not, but they need to address the OT spot in the draft anyway.  As much as I have beaten on Carman, if this can be a catalyst for his life to improve, then good for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I continue to struggle with the football versus person piece of this. 

I don’t.  I didn’t like what I read but there has to be a lot we aren’t reading.

There were no charges filed and prosecutors don’t hesitate when it involves an underage teen girl.  We don’t hear everything the police and the prosecutor hears.  There absolutely is more to this story than we are hearing.  

It’s a black mark on this kid’s reputation and that’s all it should be.  He could end up playing elsewhere next year and I still won’t hold this story against him.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Yeah that one made me laugh. If there's any such thing as a "bulletin board" edge, the Chiefs could have held that edge by leaving it all at "Burrowhead". But Willie Gay just evened the scales, so good one dude.

I don't really think there is anything as a "bulletin board" edge with these two teams. 

The Chiefs have had all the motivation in the world to beat the Bengals in the past 3.    Since coming out of the bye; the Bengals have had a chip on their shoulder almost every week.    

If this game does get the point of the last week's game vs. Buffalo.   I would love for the Bengals to pull out the "Merry Go Round" huddle.   That's been my favorite thing so far  Reading/Listening Chief fans claim how cocky the Bengals are but a couple weeks ago they are doing Merry Go Round huddle vs. the Raiders.   

Carman will have to prove over a series of games.    The LT for the Rams that filled in for Whitworth during the playoffs performed awesome.   Then he kinda sucked this year when having stack games week after week.    Not sure how his season went but he was struggling.

The plus side is both Carman and Adeniji played last year in Arrowhead.   So this isn't brand new to them at least.

Hobs:

It looks like the Bengals are going with the same offensive line they rolled out in Buffalo with right guard Alex Cappa (ankle) and left tackle Jonah Williams (knee) out of practice again Thursday. Cappa was walking around practice without a boot for the second straight day …

Tight end Hayden Hurst (calf) surfaced on the injury report as a limited participant, indicating it happened during the day. Hurst hurt his calf early in the Dec. 4 win over the Chiefs and missed the next three games …

Cornerback Tre Flowers (hamstring) looks good after missing last week. He went full for the first time Thursday. Backup linebacker Joe Bachie (foot) went limited …

L'Jarius Sneed now making his rounds on the bulletin board train.  Chiefs secondary is going to "handle them".    I think its time for the players/fans to agree the bulletin board train is full and its time to put up or shut up.     Both teams are good.  Both teams can find something to be pissed about.  Vegas thinks its a close one.  

Great players are going to make plays and hopefully there isn't some bad injury or bad call the tints the final outcome.

45 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

L'Jarius Sneed now making his rounds on the bulletin board train.  Chiefs secondary is going to "handle them".    I think its time for the players/fans to agree the bulletin board train is full and its time to put up or shut up.     Both teams are good.  Both teams can find something to be pissed about.  Vegas thinks its a close one.  

Great players are going to make plays and hopefully there isn't some bad injury or bad call the tints the final outcome.

Yea the media is loving this week. Even if nothing was said on both sides they would find something somewhere to make it a huge deal. It can’t just be two great teams playing each other anymore. 

Here's where I am with the Mahomes injury...

Anyone placing a bet on the game predicated upon what the coaches say and video clips show, is a fool.
Of course the coaches are going to say he looks great and will be ready to go.  What else are they going to say at this point?
That video never once showed Mahomes sprinting.  That was the most gingerly jogging I've seen and think it's going to be an impact.

Does that mean the Bengals are going to win?  No, but again, high ankle sprains don't heal in 4 days.
Mahomes will be taking a pain killer before the game for sure to get through, hoping to make it through the game in my opinion.
His ankle will be wrapped and I would guess his scrambling ability will be hampered by the injury.

All that said, I expect him to make every effort to ball out and the Chiefs to game plan for what he's dealing with.
I compare it to every Bills fan telling us on the way into the stadium we couldn't win because of the o-line.
Truth is, you just never know and why I wouldn't touch betting on this game.

I still think both teams will have their hands full just like each of the 3 previous meetings.