Divisional Weekend: Bengals @ Bills

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I honestly believe that Volsen has played far better than those grades listed above

Very happy with Volsen

NFL personnel experts don't care though, Volson is about as easy to replace/upgrade as one can get.

This o-line/d-line matchup is not good, but it's not so drastic they can't deal with it.   It's just visualizing the discrepencies and being realistic about them.  Feel good rah-rah stuff is all fine and good, but they are in trouble and it may get frustrating to watch at times, like last week when they were shut out the entire 2nd half.  They can't play complete games on offense with this o-line.

Fm7No0zWIAAcXN0?format=jpg&name=large

Fm7MQPPX0AEDphP?format=jpg&name=large

Volson is what he is.  A grinder.  He beat out the U.S.S. Carman as it was taking on water and listing to starboard.  We all know Volson doesn’t have a ceiling anywhere near what we’d like.  

Our o-line is an obvious weakness due to injury and other factors like historically significant busts that put us in a difficult spot personnel wise.  We’re still digging out.  Could it cost us a chance at this year’s Super Bowl?  Yes.  Did it cost us last year’s Super Bowl?  Yes.

Do I blame Paul Alexander, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Russel Bodine, Billy Price, and Jackson Carman?  Hell  yes, because that is where the blame truly lies.  We’ve been left constantly trying to backfill these fucking gaping holes.  

Volson?  Its Left guard.    Goodberry uses flawed logic and places to much importance of PFF grades.  

Volson is a bottom tier guard this year.   The perception of his play in the media or with fans benefits in the same manner Billy Price did as rookie replacing a whipping boy Bodine.   Volson benefits because fans didn't like the Bengals passing on Sewell and then not taking the "name" choice in the second, Carman hasn't been good but Volson doesn't have twitterverse posting clips of every time he's thrown around.

At the end of the day its still "Left Guard".     The bigger issue is the average to below average play they got on the edges at LT and RT.

Volson hopefully will mature into a decent guard.    This year they were able to produce offense at a top 10 level so you need perspective of what the job of the O-line is.   This unit throughout the year allowed for top 10 production, given the skill players cover greatly for the line.

For this game they are clearly going to give up pressure.   Jeff Blake made plays with a horrible O-line, so will Burrow.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Your point is received, just want to clarify that they did score in the 3rd quarter (Burrow sneak).

they did indeed. 12 plays and 83 yards and then a two-point conversation. WITH carman in the game. Not convenient for Shula's agenda though.

• Like 1

you know who speaks highly of volson's rookie year? Ted Karras. I am gonna go ahead and note that Karras know a fuckton more about the potential of volson and volson's value even as a rookie than anyone on here and Goodberry and PFF. 

50 minutes ago, membengal said:

they did indeed. 12 plays and 83 yards and then a two-point conversation. WITH carman in the game. Not convenient for Shula's agenda though.

Eh,  the o-line sunk the last two drives as well.  One with a sack and another with a holding penalty.   Both Carman.

Its probably going to be an issue this week.   I wouldn't be surprised with 4/5 sacks.     A clear key to the game is how the Bengals manage this pressure.   Hopefully they won't be drive killers.

More than likely Burrow is going to have to overcome higher than normal pressure.   I don't think the Bengal targets will struggle as much as the Dolphins did.   Obviously Burrow is a play maker and play extender.   I also don't think ZT is going to put Burrow in harms way like McDaniels did with Skylar running slow developing plays and late getting plays in. 

Hopefully the pressure comes as a slow grind/coverage variety vs. free runner types.    Really if the opposite occurs and the Bills can't get high pressure with 4 rushing then the Bengals should win.

3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Nor do the grades care about your feelings or opinion.

I guess you got me there ??  Ok...
Well tell the grades to pick a time and place.  I will kick their ass.

Those also aren't just my opinions, they are shared by others that don't put much stock in PFF grades as the sole source either.
If PFF grades were the sole source of good and bad, there would be many players out of the NFL.
I also never said, that Volson is some All-Pro player or couldn't be replaced.  I said he has performed better than what anyone could hope for from a 4th round rookie from North Dakota State.

Thinking this guy was going to be more than what he was this year after going up against world beaters like South Dakota St., Youngstown, UNI, Indiana St. and Western Illinois during his college career might have been the first mistake for someone making that particular argument.

Jesus, what crawled up your butt about Volson anyway ??  Just felt like hating today ??

Volson is probably undervalued by PFF grades. They're not reliable at all for offensive line play. Volson is probably overvalued by the fanbase, because he is not the previous guy (who's now standing next to him, heh).

I think Volson was a good pick, and he is not one of my biggest worries this week. I think he benefits from having Karras next to him, and that's okay. Because he still has Karras next to him.

• Like 1

He beat out Carmen, our 2nd round pick, during the camp battle and has started all season without getting Burrow killed.

Yeah, he doesn’t have to be All Pro as long as we have improved the roster from the season prior.

Now if the team feels it can improve the roster at Volson’s position again this coming offseason, that’s fine by me. Bitching about what he is at this point in the season is beyond stupid.

Having Prince available is nice to settle some of the nerves. In the event Carman struggles, they can go to Prince and be left with something similar to last year's postseason line with less out-of-position shuffling and a vast upgrade at center.

Carman-Volson-Karras-Scharping-Adeniji --> We'll see. No clue.

Prince-Volson-Karras-Scharping-Adeniji at least looks better on the surface than Williams-Spain-Hopkins-Adeniji-Prince. The tackles are less than ideal, but at least Adeniji is clearly better there than he was at guard.

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

7 hours later and my son and so have arrived in Buffalo. Taking a breather and then we are headed out into town to catch the playoff games and grab some food.

Tons of Bengals fans on the road headed this way. Hoping to hear a bunch of WHODEY’s around !!

you going to the shindig tonite that Denher/Morrison are at?