Divisional Weekend: Bengals @ Bills

HoosierCat

Dude situational awareness is something that I could never find a way to undo, even if I wanted to.

Hell I had a run in with a woman Bengals fan at the Ravens game Sunday night. Stupid isn’t restricted within state boundaries unfortunately.

I’m all in on the Bengals chances in this game. A little concerned about the o-line holding up, but this team is never going to be out of a game before it even starts.

Here's me trying to be objective...

What do you all think about Jackson Carman moving forward since we obviously have no choice at this point?
I read that his PFF grades weren't the best in limited snaps in a position he hasn't played in the pros, despite LT being his spot at Clemson.
Apparently Carman scored higher in pass blocking (in limited snaps) than Jonah did prior to the injury, but wasn't great against the run in comparison.

Obviously, on a personal note, I don't care much for the kid, but that's not a consideration in him helping this team in the playoffs from this point.
I'm just hoping that through practice at that spot with the #1's, he can get a better feel for what they are doing and improve.
We need him to be the player they thought they were drafting in the 2nd round, not the guy that got beat out by a rookie.

It's not just Carman though, the right side of the line is still concerning to me as well.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here's me trying to be objective...

What do you all think about Jackson Carman moving forward since we obviously have no choice at this point?
I read that his PFF grades weren't the best in limited snaps in a position he hasn't played in the pros, despite LT being his spot at Clemson.
Apparently Carman scored higher in pass blocking (in limited snaps) than Jonah did prior to the injury, but wasn't great against the run in comparison.

Obviously, on a personal note, I don't care much for the kid, but that's not a consideration in him helping this team in the playoffs from this point.
I'm just hoping that through practice at that spot with the #1's, he can get a better feel for what they are doing and improve.
We need him to be the player they thought they were drafting in the 2nd round, not the guy that got beat out by a rookie.

It's not just Carman though, the right side of the line is still concerning to me as well.

Have no idea.   I know he played some snaps in the AFC Championship at guard and didn't fall apart at all. 

Better get your edge protectors some help in terms of chipping,  favorable down/distance,  getting the ball out.  

PFF scores aren't reliable IMO because they don't account for the "degree of difficulty".     Were the Bengals taking deeper drops when Carman was at LT?     I think the Bengals need to exploit the Bills LB core with  passes to the RBs that will function as long hand offs.

Then hopefully they can get some YAC; which in turn gives them favorable down/distance later in the series.

According to Santagana, the Bengals went quick-game and three-step drops in the entire second half. They ran a five-step drop once and it resulted in a sack charged to Carman.

That might not paint the whole picture, but it certainly suggests the coaches were protecting the line.

Kinda have to, tho.  Carman has never proven reliable

I am hoping to see Prince at ORT and Adeniji at OLT this coming weekend, assuming that both Jonah and Cappa will remain out, which I think is probably the case 

Bills are hurting bigtime in the secondary even aside from Hamlin. so I am hoping to see a game with short quick passes where Burrow picks them apart

Yeah, Adeniji was a LT at Kansas state like Carman was at Clemson.
I can't say that I have much appreciation for Prince's game and also can't say that having a LT and RT taking first game snaps at the position would fill me with great joy and an expectation of wonderful things coming out of it.  They need more OT help in the upcoming draft for sure.

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm really looking forward to it. 
This will be my son's and mine first game at Bills stadium and I have no concerns with being an opposing fan surrounded by Bills faithful.

Odd facts:
Not once during my time in the Army (02/1990 - 03/2011), did the Bengals beat the Bills.  The Bengals were 0-9 against the them.
In the last 6 games between them, only once was the game decided by more than 4 points.  The Bengals won that game 34-21 in 2015.
In those last 6 games, the Bengals are 4-2, with the Bills beating us in our last matchup in 2019.

Interestingly, the Bills have never beaten the Bengals in the playoffs and the previous two meetings the Bengals went to the Super Bowl ('81 Divisional, '88 AFC Championship)

• Like 1

80% chance of light snow in Buffalo on Sunday, per latest reports. It's probably no net gain for either side. Still, I wonder if it might mitigate one of my biggest concerns: Apple and CTB matched up against Diggs and Davis (with help). Anything that reduces the tendency of the Bills to chuck the rock down the field might play into a game script that is more Bengals-friendly. It's also possible that hurts the defenses with respect to leverage and footing and they just get roasted. Who knows.

Carman - we don’t know what’s been going on behind the scenes this season.  

Either Carman has worked his way out of the doghouse and will get to come to camp next year and have a chance to earn a roster spot.

OR, he’s still looked upon in the same way he was when he got beat out this year.  

My opinion - earlier in the season I’d have guessed he’d be cut after the season.  The way they’ve activated and used him here at the end of the season makes me think he’ll be in camp next year.  

This O-line is going to give up pressure.   There's just no way around it, IMO.     I'd imagine Buffalo is going to try to get pressure with 4 using various stunts to test the newness of the line etc.    I think its really up to the Bengals RBs/TE to win one on one against the Buffalo underneath coverage.    Need a lot of 2 yard catches with 4/5 yards of YAC. 

Hopefully the pressure that is given up is a slow grind vs. you "look out" variety.       Hopefully the pressure Carman is going to give up will be a slow grind vs.  getting beat off his feet in a split second or completely driven back into the lap of the QB.

I don’t care about the grades at this point. Volson has played about as well as you could expect a 4th round rookie from North Dakota State to play. Personally I think MUCH better.

I’ll side with Karras who loves the kid and thinks he has a big future more than some grades. If Volson flames out, such is life, but I don’t think that’s his path.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don’t care about the grades at this point. Volson has played about as well as you could expect a 4th round rookie from North Dakota State to play. Personally I think MUCH better.

I’ll side with Karras who loves the kid and thinks he has a big future more than some grades. If Volson flames out, such is life, but I don’t think that’s his path.

Nor do the grades care about your feelings or opinion.