Wild Card Weekend: Ravens @ Bengals 2 Electric Boogaloo

HoosierCat

When they were building the LB unit and drafted four of them over two years, I thought their mindset was to reverse the dreadful past trend by throwing darts and hoping a reasonable number of them hit. I'm not even sure they could have expected they'd end up here:

2019 - Pratt --> darkhorse all-pro candidate
2020 - Wilson --> widely regarded as one of the league's best young LBs
2020 - ADG --> valuable enough depth that losing one of the above doesn't feel like an emergency
2020 - Bailey --> excellent special teamer and depth

That doesn't account for the other two quality guys either (Bachie and Johnston).

I don't blame you, Army, for needing to be convinced. Since I started following this team, it's almost certain that the worst roster unit overall has been the LB group. It was simply never good. Occasionally there was one guy that had promise (Thurman) or one guy that overshadowed other weak spots (Simmons, Burfict), but it was never a good unit until this regime.

4 hours ago, Stripes said:

When they were building the LB unit and drafted four of them over two years, I thought their mindset was to reverse the dreadful past trend by throwing darts and hoping a reasonable number of them hit. I'm not even sure they could have expected they'd end up here:

2019 - Pratt --> darkhorse all-pro candidate
2020 - Wilson --> widely regarded as one of the league's best young LBs
2020 - ADG --> valuable enough depth that losing one of the above doesn't feel like an emergency
2020 - Bailey --> excellent special teamer and depth

That doesn't account for the other two quality guys either (Bachie and Johnston).

I don't blame you, Army, for needing to be convinced. Since I started following this team, it's almost certain that the worst roster unit overall has been the LB group. It was simply never good. Occasionally there was one guy that had promise (Thurman) or one guy that overshadowed other weak spots (Simmons, Burfict), but it was never a good unit until this regime.

Takeo Spikes, Brian Simmons, and Steve Foley were the best since the 88 defense before this newest iteration’s run for the superbowl in 2022

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm more confident in our backups this year than our starters last year.
So while I would rather have Cappa and Collins, I'm not thinking the sky is falling either.

Agreed. I’m also more confident in Burrow’s ability to manage pressure.

And none of these playoff teams have Aaron Donald.

I was happy when the playoff schedule came out that we are playing AFTER the Bills / Dolphins game.
It will be nice to know, should we beat the Ravens, if we are headed to Buffalo or we get another home game against the Dolphins.
Should the Dolphins pull off the upset, I would have to think getting a home game would be a HUGE motivator for the Bengals !!
That would bring either the Chargers or Jaguars into Cincinnati.

LET'S GO DOLPHINS !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

They will try to franchise him, but I don’t see that going so well.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

They will try to franchise him, but I don’t see that going so well.

That’s it right there.  Lamar’s already twisted out of shape over not getting extended.  So much so that he’s got what Baltimore obviously suspects is a contract related injury.  

Then they go and give 100 million to a guy who just got into town a couple months ago.  

Lamar probably figures I’ve been here five years, playing QB in a manner that is dangerous and career shortening for me, but in a way that makes up for some shortcomings on the offense.  (And it’s true, dude’s legs can compensate for a lot).

Hes pissed and has a right to be.  Having said that, can you really blame Baltimore for not wanting to back up the Brinks truck?  I love Lamar, but the way top ten QBs hog cap space is a daunting thing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bengalsfan2 said:

I am not sure if this has been covered - but can is possible for the Bengals to get a home game in the divisional round or Conference championship? If KC wins - would the Bengals KC matchup be at a neutral site?

It would not. Not now. If KC had lost to Raiders, then that was a possibility. 

8 minutes ago, COB said:

Holy shit, Trey Hendrickson really is a difference maker.  

people were SO big mad when we didn't re-sign Carl Lawson and got Hendrickson (for less) instead...I will be cool and not go pull up those thread(s)...

45 minutes ago, Bengalsfan2 said:

I am not sure if this has been covered - but can is possible for the Bengals to get a home game in the divisional round or Conference championship? If KC wins - would the Bengals KC matchup be at a neutral site?

Yes. If the Bills lose this weekend, Bengals (assuming of course that the beat the Ravens) would host a divisional game. If they won that game and KC lost in their divisional round game, the championship game would be in Cincy. Needless to say that’s a very long shot tho.

13 hours ago, Bengalsfan2 said:

Buffalo would have to lose in WC in order for Bengals to host a divisional game.   Both KC/Buffalo would have to lose to host AFC Champ game.

If KC/Bengals meet in AFC Champ game it would be at KC, since they won the No. 1 seed outright in relation to Bengals.