Wild Card Weekend: Ravens @ Bengals 2 Electric Boogaloo

HoosierCat

6 hours ago, membengal said:

Gonna just go ahead and drop this here and let us bask in how accurate it is...

“The window is my whole career… The window is always open.”

I say this with all seriousness; psychologists could study this dude as having one of the greatest examples of the unwavering confidence needed to be the best at something.  It’s pretty remarkable.  I can’t really recall a QB who had it to this level, and was willing to vocalize it.  Maybe Joe Namath?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Joe finished the regular season with 40 total TDs (35 passing, 5 rushing) and 14 turnovers (12 INTs, 2 fumbles).

Arguably the best statistical season ever for a Bengals QB (the MVPs, Burrow last year, and maybe Palmer 2005 have a case too).

And that year was accomplished with that statistical outlier game in week one against the Steelers.  He threw 4 picks and lost one fumble in that game.  

So in a 17 game season, in one game he threw a third of his season’s total interceptions and had half his fumbles for turnover.  

Random fact from rummaging around our o-line pickups (sadly we’re missing two of them, Kappa and La’el Collins are out).  For you old-timers, our other pickup, Ted Karras, has a well known great uncle.  I’ve kept you in suspense long enough.  His great uncle is longtime Detroit Lion Alex Karras.  

9 hours ago, Stripes said:

Joe finished the regular season with 40 total TDs (35 passing, 5 rushing) and 14 turnovers (12 INTs, 2 fumbles).

Arguably the best statistical season ever for a Bengals QB (the MVPs, Burrow last year, and maybe Palmer 2005 have a case too).

Stats wise it will be hard to compare recent QBs to the past just because of rule changes etc.      Joe's most impressive thing this year is how he ranks in traditional QB rating among the current league.   As you've noted above very productive and efficient.     

I was of the belief the first game we saw him play in the NFL he was elite and each and every year he's getting better.     For those outside fans and media that are lazy that somehow convinced themselves Joe is statue in the pocket; look at yesterday.    He's an upper NFL tier athletic QB.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

So seeing quotes about how dirty the Ravens were playing, now I start to worry about another Steeler playoff game. I don’t think it will get as bad they don’t have those other guys on the team, but I do worry it’s going to get ugly out there. 

I thought it was pretty clear  winning the game took a back seat to soften them up.    I think it will be chippy this week especially if Lamar doesn't play.   Bengals did not play well yesterday after a tough mentally challenging week.   Still won by 11.    If the Ravens don't get a major upgrade in offensive production this week at the QB spot, then they will try to muck up the game.

I personally would welcome the easiest path to the Superbowl as possible.    But I don't fear a possible return of Lamar Jackson in the playoffs.     I think there's something brewing in that Ravens organization and I also think for our Defense it would raise their level. 

Ravens have not looked good on offense in multiple games.      I don't really think they looked good on defense yesterday either.    That's a lot to lump Lamar's shoulders after a month+ off.     On the flip side I know the Bengals locker room would welcome it and manufacture some sort of motivation for it.

There's much to unpack from this game, but my son and I had a blast yelling all game long.

I typically hate going to Ravens, Steelers, and Browns games because of the opposing fans.  This was no exception and even my son noticed as this was his first AFCN opponent game.
He said, "Dad, why are the Ravens fans such assholes?"  (Yes, I let him cuss, but only during football games when mom isn't around)
Totally classless in cheering Bengals players getting injured, pointing our their team's headhunting and encouraging it, all while calling Bengals fans "shit".
THIS is the reason I hate the Steelers, Ravens and Browns so much.  Their fans are abysmal or as my 16 year old called them... "ASSHOLES" !!!  Such a good kid.

The Cappa injury really hurts.  No getting around that.  Scharping was absolutely horrendous in Houston.  However, my only hope is that it had more to do with the Texans.
That organization is the biggest mess ever.  Maybe getting around a solid o-line with real pros and a head coach that builds that unit will pay off.
I haven't seen how he graded out yesterday.  It was a little hard following him specifically with all else going on.

The Ravens players going after Bengals players was really evident from our perspective.  Just ridiculous from my vantage point, but nothing I don't expect from them.
When they know they can't beat a team straight up, they go cheap shot tactics and try to intentionally hurt players.  Classless organization from top to bottom.

Burrow... “The window is my whole career… The window is always open.” comment is beyond motivating.  However, that wasn't the only nugget of gold from his presser.
On the punting game he commented, "Drue punted the shit out of the ball today".  While getting a laugh, you could tell how much he appreciates that effort.
Talking about his own performance came, "Just missed some throws that I usually hit... well... not usually... always hit".  LOVE THAT CONFIDENCE !!!

The running game was ass yesterday.  55 yards rushing for the whole damn game.  Burrow had 10 of those 55 yards.
They can and need to do better come this Sunday, at least from the perspective of only picking up 2 yards per carry.
If Burrow wants to throw it all over the place, fine, but when we go to the run game, it has to be more efficient.

Happy with the defense and the team as a whole.  This game was never really in the Ravens reach despite the score.
I don't care who the Ravens start next week.  Just go out there and execute the game plan and they win.

For the Ravens fans I came across at the game....  FUCK YOU !!!

well, with it assumed that Cappa is out for the season (and I dearly hope he isnt) we do need another OG

from my point of view, I'd rather have a veteran who can come in without a lot of practice and be able to contribute, not as a starter (as he did when we first acquired him off waivers) but in case someone goes down

I think he fits that bill

all that said - if someone feels there is a better option out there, speak up.

I havent forgotten about Hopkins, btw.

Well, there are two OTs and a OG on the practice squad, so you can indeed elevate one of those guys

However, that leaves a space on your practice squad, and yes, its possible that over the course of the playoffs you could need yet another OL

So you get one to backfill that bottom of the ladder spot, and everyone currently here moves up the ladder

so that still means you at minimum - again, assuming Cappa is out - sign an OL (preferrably an OG) to that bottom of the ladder spot

so again I call for Mr Spain

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

FWIW Scharping up to 60.5 for the year (just 30 snaps tho) on pff after yesterday’s game. That’s a career high.

What I had heard about Scharping is that he played fairly well initially in his rookie 2019 season, then regressed, and as a result, lost his spot. 

He started over 30 games for the Texans, so he has two years-ish experience as a starter, which is good

PFF 60 is solidly good for a backup, and maybe he will be better next weekend after taking all of the snaps with the first string this coming week

Somewhat related - starting to wonder if DAnte will ever see the field, given that they put Carman (who they clearly dont like) on the field as the jumbo package 6th lineman when they could have used DAnte, who at one time seemed to be a rising young player in this group.  Ive heard no praise for DAnte recently.

Another bit of speculation: bring up Prince, have him take ORT, and slide Adeniji to ORG.  I dont like this one, but its possible - isnt this how we played the Superbowl?