Playoff scenarios

cincyhokie

8 minutes ago, Stripes said:

The Ravens were denied a fair chance to win the division with the game being canceled. Pretty much every suggestion I have seen this week would have screwed them over worse than anyone else. I don't mind the NFL leaving them a window. The Bengals just have to win the game and make it all moot.

This.     With the Bill/Bengals game canceled AND a Bengals loss the league couldn't fairly award a home game traditionally reserved for the division winner.   A coin toss is about as fair a way it could happen.

I don't know why a potential Bengals/Bills divisional round game isn't addressed.   If the Bengals have to go up there without a coin flip that's the biggest bullshit ever. 

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

This.     With the Bill/Bengals game canceled AND a Bengals loss the league couldn't fairly award a home game traditionally reserved for the division winner.   A coin toss is about as fair a way it could happen.

I don't know why a potential Bengals/Bills divisional round game isn't addressed.   If the Bengals have to go up there without a coin flip that's the biggest bullshit ever. 

Again, because the Bills and Bengals can’t get any advantage over one another due to the missed game. All the coin flips are to deal with the potential inequity created by using winning percentages between teams that played an unequal number of games.

14 minutes ago, membengal said:

Teth doesn't make sense.   The unbalanced schedule is on a rotation between conferences.    The Bengals got the extra home game last and will get it next year.   Not sure of the point here.

The Ravens loss is not removed either.   Not sure of his point because the Bengals are awarded a home game with a win despite having played fewer games.

Stating playing Joe Burrow in the Jungle is a 50/50 is the dumbest thing in that whole rant.    I think the line is -7. 

Just now, AMPHAR said:

Well shouldn't the Bengals  just beat the Ravens?  At home?

Sure. But then shouldn’t we have a chance to host Buffalo ? Because there’s no coin flip for that…

ravens are covered. Bengals are…not.

Just now, HoosierCat said:

If the Bills win they end with a better record than the Bengals, even if Cincy wins.

Because…we were not allowed to finish playing them. In a game, at home, where we came out hair ablaze and taking names. 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

Sure. But then shouldn’t we have a chance to host Buffalo ? Because there’s no coin flip for that…

ravens are covered. Bengals are…not.

Potential Buffalo game is the only thing worth bitching about.    The other stuff is as fair as it can be.

Burrow at Home, favored by 7 against a back up QB.    If  they don't win and lose a coin toss so fucking be it.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Again, because the Bills and Bengals can’t get any advantage over one another due to the missed game. All the coin flips are to deal with the potential inequity created by using winning percentages between teams that played an unequal number of games.

Yeah that's a loop hole.   That potential match up should be addressed, IMO.  

17 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

If the Bills win they end with a better record than the Bengals, even if Cincy wins.

Loophole.   Let's be honest Buffalo got the best (standings wise) out of that MNF game being canceled.   It was the right call (humanity wise).    However, that decision removed a legit chance for the Bengals to even the records WITH the tie breaker.

That can't be ignored.   That potential match up should be addressed, IMO.

Its the same reasoning why the league can't just award the Ravens a home game with a sweep of the Bengals.  

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Loophole.   Let's be honest Buffalo got the best (standings wise) out of that MNF game being canceled.   It was the right call (humanity wise).    However, that decision removed a legit chance for the Bengals to even the records WITH the tie breaker.

That can't be ignored.   That potential match up should be addressed, IMO.

It also eliminated Buffalo’s chance to nail the second seed down. That can’t be ignored either. Both teams lost an opportunity here, and I simply can’t get too worked up about it.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It also eliminated Buffalo’s chance to nail the second seed down. That can’t be ignored either. Both teams lost an opportunity here, and I simply can’t get too worked up about it.

I'm not in favor of ignoring it.   The divisional round should have the same considerations.    Do a coin flip, neutral sight or whatever.   There's just no way its fair for KC or Buffalo to be awarded a divisional  round home match up with the Bengals,  IF the Bengals win on Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I do think the solution could be better for the divisional round forward.

The Bengals are the best team in the AFC, and I look forward to them proving it wherever they end up.

Except, come the fuck on. They may indeed be best. But the path , through no fault of their own is likely TO Buffalo in late January and then TO Kansas City in back to back weeks IF they can beat the ravens in back to back weeks (never simple and always physical ). All because they were not able to finish playing a game through no fault of their own that would have changed much of that calculus if they had won. And nothing in the proposal allows for the second round to potentially be made right given the lost opportunity.

seriously, close your eyes and tell me the nfl does the same thing to the Steelers.

Memo from the chip off the ‘ol block dep’t: Katie is a no.

Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn is on the competition committee, which approved the scenarios Thursday. In a memo obtained by ESPN's Seth Wickersham, Blackburn urged the committee members to vote against the scenarios. Her reasoning stemmed from the timing of a rule change away from the standard of winning percentages used in this scenario.

"The proper process for making rule change (sic) is in the off-season," Blackburn wrote. "It is not appropriate to put teams in a position to vote for something that may introduce bias, favor one team over another or impact their own situation when the vote takes place immediately before the playoffs."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35388199/bills-bengals-game-not-resume-amid-damar-hamlin-continued-recovery