Playoff scenarios

cincyhokie

As it stands right now the Bengals are the 3rd seed and would play the Chargers who have the 6th seed.

If the Bengals win out they will have the 2nd seed. They would play the Dolphins. 

If the Bengals lose to the Ravens and get the 5th seed, they’ll play the Jags.

All that said, I don’t think we’ll play the Chargers with the 3rd seed. If they win out they’ll have tie breaker with the Ravens. It’s more likely we play Baltimore at 3rd. If we have the 2nd seed, there’s a possible chance…wait for it…to play the Steelers. 

Here’s my list of likely teams the Bengals will play in the first round. Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers. That’s even if the Bengals get the first seed. I think they’d play the Chargers in that divisional round. 

What did I miss?

The Jets can also still get in by winning out (they play @Seahawks and @Dolphins, both free-falling) and getting one loss from the Patriots (@Dolphins and vs. Bills).

Otherwise there are very low-probability scenarios for the Raiders and Steelers. Essentially, the 7-seed is going to be a bad playoff team in almost every iteration, so the 2-seed is very attractive if the 1-seed doesn't work out. Hosting whatever 7-seed and then the Bills would be pretty decent all things considered.

I also think the 5-seed Chargers at the 1-seed Chiefs in the divisional round would be dangerous for the Chiefs.

3 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

If the Bengals win out and KC takes another loss, the #1 seed is the Bengals. as I "believe" the first tie breaker is head to head.

I don't care who the Bengals play.  Bring it.

That’s correct. I don’t see KC losing another game but if they do it would be at LV.

I was playing with one of the playoff machines, and there exists an extremely remote scenario in which the Bengals will need the Bears to defeat the Vikings to obtain the AFC 1-seed in week 18.

It's so improbable that this post is pointless, but it is a lot of fun to screw with these things (this particular scenario requires a Bengals/Bills tie and a ton of other things that leave the 1-seed at the strength of victory tiebreaker).

Crazy things happen in the NFL mostly because the talent is spread across the league.     As fondly we remember the 1988 AFC Champ Bengals team they were damn close to losing the AFC Central title the final week.   Took a ball off the upright in the final seconds and then a forced fumble in OT to beat the defending Champs the final week or the Oilers would have won the division. 

Then the following day (Bengals played on Sat) the Bills lose to a horrible Colts team at home to give the 1 seed to the Bengals.     What a swing of events back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Crazy things happen in the NFL mostly because the talent is spread across the league.     As fondly we remember the 1988 AFC Champ Bengals team they were damn close to losing the AFC Central title the final week.   Took a ball off the upright in the final seconds and then a forced fumble in OT to beat the defending Champs the final week or the Oilers would have won the division. 

Then the following day (Bengals played on Sat) the Bills lose to a horrible Colts team at home to give the 1 seed to the Bengals.     What a swing of events back then.

Wow, that's right. I remember the game against the Redskins and winning that one in crazy fashion. I didn't know the Bills lost to the Colts to give us the #1 seed.

20 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Wow, that's right. I remember the game against the Redskins and winning that one in crazy fashion. I didn't know the Bills lost to the Colts to give us the #1 seed.

Youtube is wonderful.   The historic road to the Superbowl is filled with similar circumstances.   Really underscores you need great players playing their best and luck.

The fact that so many ran with the "fluke" scenario for last year's team just underscores the lack of respect the rest of the NFL world has for the Cincinnati market.   Now here we are maybe the best team in the AFC with 3 pro bowlers.   Come on.    Just about every Conference winner in the history of the Superbowl era has a few things break their way that could be considered a fluke.

I hope they roll Monday night.   Get Burrow in that top MVP conversation spot. 

And now I hear there was more to Mixon’s comments and he said the Bills Linebackers are no Ravens linebackers or something to that extent.

Can someone just put a fucking muzzle on him already ?? You feel underrated and disrespected ?? Shut the fuck up and go win. That is how you earn respect, not running your stupid mouth.

Believe the Bills took notice.

• Like 1

Mixon, please STFU until a f t e r the superbowl win, and not before?

dammit

dont need any of the playoff teams (which includes our next two regular season opponents) to be any more motivated than they already are

there should be a H U G E fine built into every contract for behavior like this.

should be

• Thanks 1