Week 15: Bengals @ Buccaneers

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm trying to convince the wife that since my son has yet to see Tom Brady play, that means that him and I should make the trip to Tampa Bay to catch the game.
I mean, who am I to deprive such an event from a young man?  It only seems like the right thing to do.
Am I wrong ??

I tried to get tickets, but the cheapest ones I could find were $180 before all the fees and crap. So keep that in mind if you want to go.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm trying to convince the wife that since my son has yet to see Tom Brady play, that means that him and I should make the trip to Tampa Bay to catch the game.
I mean, who am I to deprive such an event from a young man?  It only seems like the right thing to do.
Am I wrong ??

How much longer do you plan on going without the, uhm, favors of your spouse?

So maybe Ossai, "maybe" Higgins.  Boyd's injury was gruesome and required immediate surgery (bone showing).  No way he's coming back any time real soon,  will likely be a bit hindered all year when he does I'm guessing.  Sucks.   But hopefully I'm wrong there.

Who knows on Hurst, in same boat, "week to week."

Not really for this thread but it will prob get lost in the Browns thread.

I know reading through the Browns game thread most people are knocking Mixon when he is getting 3 yards or less or "this offence is sucking right now" etc..  I suggest those people learn a bit more about what is going on and what is happening for a reason.  Watch this from CBT and Joe Goodberry the first 10 mins explain how they were setting up the browns for the flea flicker, there is a reason for everything so think before your emotions hit the keyboard :D

I expect more of the same against the buccaneers.

I'm not sure I agree with the correlation there.

I understand running the ball to set up the flea flicker.  That makes sense.
However, you don't intentionally block poorly and pick up 2-3 yards on purpose to make that play happen.
That's what I was complaining about and I think that was the concern with Mixon coming back, in that he has done that quite often this year.
I think it goes without saying that I love Mixon, but many have commented about him running right up the middle and only getting 2-3 yards.
To Goodberry's point, the o-line didn't have a particularly stellar game against the Browns, so I'm not sure I can get behind that argument.

Who knows ??  God knows I've been wrong many times before.
Hell, look at me complaining about the linebackers when everyone told me I was crazy.
Looks like I was crazy !! 

• Like 1

I don't know they did but the DB was all out trying to get involved in the run game.    Perfectly timed and executed. 

Steelers and Bettis used to have perfect timing against the Bengals defense for some kinda gadget.      When Hurst comes back they should explore the ole TE throw back screen either off a fake or have a RB throw it. 

I love Mixon, I did not like them reinserting him into the starting role.

A lot of football is momentum.   This offense was on a roll, and Perine was a huge part of it.  You could just see the spirit on this team rise when Perine started making hard runs, getting extra yards.  

That td Perine had where it was clogged in the middle and he popped out to the right and got around the end and into the end zone.  That td is a great example of why, right now, this offense is better with Perine on the field.  

Mixon can do a lot, hard running and power running.  He can win a game by salting it away with hard, clock eating, runs in the 4th quarter.

It’s a fine line to walk.  Try to stay with the hot hand, and try not to upset the chemistry of the offense by alienating a veteran leader in Mixon. Nothing’s easy.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm not sure I agree with the correlation there.

I understand running the ball to set up the flea flicker.  That makes sense.
However, you don't intentionally block poorly and pick up 2-3 yards on purpose to make that play happen.
That's what I was complaining about and I think that was the concern with Mixon coming back, in that he has done that quite often

Yes, this. I mean, “using the run to set up the pass” is not exactly a new concept that was just invented by the Bengals last weekend.

Mixon’s overall underwhelming performance this year is a separate issue. Now, he *has* been better lately as the oline has gelled and run-blocking has improved. So I suppose we will see how it goes.

One thing I will say: that Perine TD, where he runs into a bunch of guys, then just suddenly pops out the back of the scrum again and runs around everyone for the score was vintage Corey Dillon. And no, I’m not saying Perine = Dillon, just that Corey used to do that on the regular and it Perine pulling it off brought a big smile to my face.

• Like 1

Yo. Having 2 good backs is NOT a problem. I am old, but I don't remember being upset in 1988 that they had Brooks/Woods/Wilson to slam at people.  Mixon/Perine is a good combo. I am happy with whatever order they play them. There is no real drop-off from one to the other. Full win. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Yo. Having 2 good backs is NOT a problem. I am old, but I don't remember being upset in 1988 that they had Brooks/Woods/Wilson to slam at people.  Mixon/Perine is a good combo. I am happy with whatever order they play them. There is no real drop-off from one to the other. Full win. 

I’d argue we have more than two. But regardless, RB isn’t an issue on the field now and I very much doubt it will be, for the rest of this season at least.

Whether it makes sense to continue paying Mixon $10 million a year (with an even high cap hit) through 2024 is something they will have to take a hard look at after the season.

Hobs (yesterday):

INJURY UPDATE: Burrow had a full practice before he showed up on the injury report (throwing elbow). Everybody else sounds day-to-to-day, like wide receivers Tyler Boyd (finger) and Tee Higgins (hamstring) after they went limited. Edge Joseph Ossai (shoulder) and slot receiver Trent Taylor (hamstring) also went limited while edge Trey Hendrickson (wrist) cornerbacks Mike Hilton (ankle) and Jalen Davis (thumb) and tight end Hayden Hurst (calf) didn't work.

46 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

walking wounded galore :-(

Like I said earlier, it’s that time of year. Everyone is banged up.

I’m betting Hendrickson, Hurst, Hilton and Davis are all out come Sunday. Have to see what they do with Boyd and Ossai, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they sat, too. No idea where Taylor is at. I think Higgins will be back as long as the hammy doesn’t act up pregame again.

I feel okay about the injury situation. There's a big difference between having an army of dinged up players on the field in December and having key players lost on IR. Weather it, keep grinding out games, and push for that home playoff game where players can fully rest without any traveling.

Win out and the Bengals are guaranteed the 2-seed at the very least.

• Like 1