Week 13: Chiefs @ Bengals

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

I think Zac Taylor has quietly put together a fantastic season of head coaching. He never gets much credit given that on either side of the ball it goes primarily to Burrow and Anarumo instead, and that's fine. I doubt he gives a crap. But I think he is doing a great job this year. His infectious winning culture is in full view every week at this point, and he has kept them focused through an 0-2 start, an 0-3 start in the division (including a MNF ass whooping), and his play calling has been perfectly effective for weeks now.

Yeah, game planning and playcalling have definitely smoothed out since September. The oline gelling and the run game finding some life have helped there, too, but it’s nice that Zac no longer seems stumped by such concepts as “Tampa 2.” And you have to hand it to him for keeping the offense going without missing a beat after losing Chase. Taylor still does a few things that irritate me, but he hasn’t handed me anything to seriously bitch about for some time. Hopefully it stays that way!

Agree that things have evened out for Taylor.  It certainly was NOT that way to start the season, but that seems to be a long time ago in comparison.

Another thing that helps the offense with Chase going down is having the equivalent of two #1 WR's on the roster.
Higgins has been stellar in Chase's absence and has only proven that many teams should be looking at him in free agency as their new #1 WR if the Bengals can't retain him.

Without going to look and make comparisons, I would find it surprising to find teams be able to continue winning after losing both their #1 WR and #1 CB for a period of time.
Good on this coaching staff for keeping up !!

14 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Without going to look and make comparisons, I would find it surprising to find teams be able to continue winning after losing both their #1 WR and #1 CB for a period of time.
Good on this coaching staff for keeping up !!

We were also without #1 RB.  Quite a couple weeks for the coaching staff and the players.

I think ZT was struggling (or appearing to) for same reason team was...until the new line gelled it was hard to find a good play-calling rhythm.  As the line has gelled and protection gotten more certain, so too the play calling.  ZT's steady hand through first month plus was a real plus in hindsight. 

• Like 2

New taxi squad adds:

The Bengals today signed DE Owen Carney and WR Tyron Johnson to the practice squad.

Carney (6-2, 252), a rookie out of the University of Illinois, originally signed with Miami as a college free agent in May. He was waived by the Dolphins at final cuts this year.

Johnson (6-1, 193), a third-year player out of Oklahoma State University, originally was a college free agent signee of Houston in 2019. He has played in 26 career NFL games — 12 with the L.A. Chargers in 2020, five with Jacksonville in '21 and five with Las Vegas in '21, plus two with Las Vegas and two with Houston earlier this season. He has 23 career catches for 422 yards (18.3 average) with three TDs. Johnson was waived by the Texans on Nov. 17.

Chiefs looking to bolster their run d:

With an eye toward strengthening a run defense that currently ranks in the middle of the league, the Kansas City Chiefs plan to sign veteran defensive tackle Brandon Williams to their practice squad, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

Williams is expected to be in Kansas City on Wednesday to sign his contract, the sources said.

Williams, 33, played nine seasons (2013 to 2021) for the Baltimore Ravens, starting for the past eight. He was a noted run defender, making the Pro Bowl following the 2018 season. He has 6.5 career sacks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35141706/sources-dt-brandon-williams-sign-chiefs-practice-squad

Hobs:

INJURY UPDATE: Running back Joe Mixon looks to be in the final stages of concussion protocol. He went limited in his first practice since getting a concussion ten days ago against the Steelers.

Nose tackle Josh Tupou (calf), who hasn't played in more than a month, looks to be on the verge of returning. He went full Wednesday. D.J. Reader (ankle), the guy he backs up, went limited.

This matchup is similar to the last 2 games. The Chiefs are seen as the better team and there's no logical reason they shouldn't beat the Bengals.  I have a hard time thinking the halftime lead will be 11-17 points again. I'm expecting a closer game that won't really separate the 2 teams. I'm not sure who wins the game other than I see it within 3-7 points. It might well come down to turnovers and who can make the least mistakes.

The Bengals lose and play well, I don't see why they couldn't go 5-0 the rest of the way and finish 12-5. Bengals win and play well, 5-0 and 13-4 with the number one seed isn't out of question.

8 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

This matchup is similar to the last 2 games. The Chiefs are seen as the better team and there's no logical reason they shouldn't beat the Bengals.  I have a hard time thinking the halftime lead will be 11-17 points again. I'm expecting a closer game that won't really separate the 2 teams. I'm not sure who wins the game other than I see it within 3-7 points. It might well come down to turnovers and who can make the least mistakes.

The Bengals lose and play well, I don't see why they couldn't go 5-0 the rest of the way and finish 12-5. Bengals win and play well, 5-0 and 13-4 with the number one seed isn't out of question.

Beating the Chiefs 3 straight times is a high hurdle for sure.  

IF, they DO win, does it set the tone the for the last 5 games, or does it lead to an emotional overconfident let down, having beaten the best team in the AFC 3 times in a row?

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Side note…

Hoosier, wasn’t it you that like me, advocated for Marcus Jones in the draft ?? Kid has next level speed and just put the Pats up on the Bills.

Yah I was a fan. Good corner with next level return skills.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Which team (Bills and Cheatriots) do we want/need to win?

whats best for our own path to a playoff seed?

Im thinking a Bills win is best so the Pats get close to elimination

Pats are toast, so that’s ideal if we lose Sunday. I think a Pats win would have been better with a Bengals win though.

Oh well, feels like a win-win.

I so want to be at the game Sunday, but again, other things going on.
I don't know what the hell is wrong with people scheduling things when they know damn well the Bengals are playing.
I'm serious in saying that it really irks the shit out of me.  Then the wife wonders why I'm in a bad mood.
Is it wrong to bring a bottle of bourbon to a 3 year old's birthday party full of kids ??
Checking for a friend...

• Haha 1