Week 10: Bye Week Thread

HoosierCat

40 minutes ago, membengal said:

I mean, let's not over romanticize the Palmer lines. He tore an ACL and had an UCL injury in 2005 and 2008 behind those lines. 

Whatever Bill Cowher.    The ACL tear was a cheap shot plain and simple.   The hit came after the ball being out, Kimo had a knee and off hand on the ground prior to rolling the shoulder into his knee.

1 minute ago, membengal said:

arguably a better block keeps kimo from being able to cheapshot. Again, it's not like Palmer was forever clean. He wasn't. 

No one said he was, but it is fact his line was among the best in 2005 season.    It is also fact Kimo crawled into his knee. 

Argue those points if you wish.  

Bengals flexed out of prime time.      Consider their inability to win on NBC's Sunday Night football ,  I guess this is a good thing.   I'm kinda annoyed because I think/hope they would have beaten the Steelers in prime time crushing that narrative.

Kinda shocked they would flex the Steelers out of Sunday Night but they suck. 

Still don’t think it was a cheap shot. KVO pushed through Steinbach, was falling to the ground, and still tried to get to the quarterback the only way he could. He didn’t “crawl”. I just watched it again. It’s unfortunate that the rules protecting QBs hadn’t developed to their current state yet back then.

I know it’s a bad memory for all of us, and I don’t expect folks to agree with me. Oh well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Still don’t think it was a cheap shot. KVO pushed through Steinbach, was falling to the ground, and still tried to get to the quarterback the only way he could. He didn’t “crawl”. I just watched it again. It’s unfortunate that the rules protecting QBs hadn’t developed to their current state yet back then.

I know it’s a bad memory for all of us, and I don’t expect folks to agree with me. Oh well.

I think it was cheap because of the roll of shoulder and hook of the leg with the lead arm (crawl) while had a stable base with a knee and off hand on the ground.   Didn't need to do that at all.    Sure he may not have intended to blow the knee out.

Also if you look clearly there was was smoke coming from the grassy knoll.     Anyway the 2005 line was among the best that year and just because Kimo took Palmer's knee out in that manner (whether you determine it to be cheap or not) doesn't change that.

The 2005 line was one of the best in team history, if not the best. I think Carson took around 12 sacks the whole year. They were dominant.

And then it all fell apart. First Buckethead broke a leg and that was all for him. The parade of horribles that would try to replace him through the years has already been listed.

Then they let Steinbach walk because they don’t pay guards. Instead they gave 5/25 to an aging Willie Anderson who only collected on the firs 2 of those 5. Levi Jones got 6/30 if memory serves and collected for 3 before his knees completely gave out (which he blamed on the Bengals’ medical staff).

And then, of course, came Moobs. And not long after that Carson quit.

I still have nightmares about the oline in the latter half of the Aughts. 

I recall being super pissed off about that play when it happened and staying pissed off for some time.

As time has gone by, I don't think it's unreasonable to see it through a more objective lens.  For example...
From his perspective, Kimo had no idea if Palmer still had the ball or not at that point.  I don't think he "crawled" to continue using that word with the intent of rolling his shoulder into his knee.  He was there and did what he could to make the play.  Did they change the rule after that ??  Yes, however I simply don't view it in the same light I once did.

I mean FUCK the Steelers and all, but maybe my age has softened my stance a bit.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, Stripes said:

I was thinking earlier today about the recent Bengals offensive line lore, specifically at center. The story from Buckethead to Bucket-Ted has been so nightmarish.

Richie Braham
Eric Ghiaciuc
Kyle Cook
Russell Bodine
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins

Ted Karras

Aside from one good year out of Cook in 2009 and maybe Hopkins in 2020, that's as dark as it gets for 15-20 years.

Wow Hopkins and Cook shine on that list.  How scary.  I realize what a huge signing Ted Karras was historically.

• Like 1

If you tried to collect horrible centers, if you did it on purpose, you still might not match the Bengals ineptitude through the years.  

Guys who would barely have been depth elsewhere?  Multi year starters for us.  

I don’t need to name names.

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, HoosierCat said:

The 2005 line was one of the best in team history, if not the best. I think Carson took around 12 sacks the whole year. They were dominant.

And then it all fell apart. First Buckethead broke a leg and that was all for him. The parade of horribles that would try to replace him through the years has already been listed.

Then they let Steinbach walk because they don’t pay guards. Instead they gave 5/25 to an aging Willie Anderson who only collected on the firs 2 of those 5. Levi Jones got 6/30 if memory serves and collected for 3 before his knees completely gave out (which he blamed on the Bengals’ medical staff).

And then, of course, came Moobs. And not long after that Carson quit.

I still have nightmares about the oline in the latter half of the Aughts. 

Steinbach walking was the nail in the coffin and Richie’s injury the hammer.  I miss those lines.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, COB said:

If you tried to collect horrible centers, if you did it on purpose, you still might not match the Bengals ineptitude through the years.  

Guys who would barely have been depth elsewhere?  Multi year starters for us.  

I don’t need to name names.

That goes back to MB’s man crush on Paul Alexander.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Just seeing those o-line names in print caused my PTSD to act up. If you see in the news tonight about multiple buildings in downtown Cincinnati being set to flame, um, it wasn’t me…

I was with TJ.

You got me right TJ ??

dude - this is pretty damned serious stuff

so

I'm gonna need a prime waygu new york strip medium rare  with onion straws, au gratin potatoes, and a really good wedge of key lime pie (with real whipped cream) for this one

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

dude - this is pretty damned serious stuff

so

I'm gonna need a prime waygu new york strip medium rare  with onion straws, au gratin potatoes, and a really good wedge of key lime pie (with real whipped cream) for this one

How about a Wendy’s Double Stack with cheese, French fries, and a large chocolate Frosty ?? I could even swing a trip to the new trampoline park at a discount price of .99 cents. I mean that’s like $20 regular price. You are going to have to buy your own socks though. 

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

How about a Wendy’s Double Stack with cheese, French fries, and a large chocolate Frosty ?? I could even swing a trip to the new trampoline park at a discount price of .99 cents. I mean that’s like $20 regular price. You are going to have to buy your own socks though. 

I'd rather have something from the Arbys in Heath, but make sure you get it through the drivethru

• Haha 1