Week 10: Bye Week Thread

HoosierCat

So, eight games left.

Steelers: should have beat them the first time, have to now.

Titans: have been feasting on lesser teams (and not all that convincingly) after starting 0-2. If the Bengals don’t shit themselves again they can win.

Chiefs: this game will probably tell us a lot about whether we should get our hopes up again.

Clowns: can’t shit themselves again.

Bucs: Brady is done.

Pats: BB vs. ZT? I know which way I’d bet.

Bills: see Chiefs.

Ravens: see Clowns.

They need 5 wins to have any real chance at the postseason imho. Maybe 6. Basically put themselves in the same hole as last year when they also lost too many easy games early and made every November and December game a must-win. Guess we will see if they can pull it off again.

Not that it's not already known, but here's the slate after the bye week:

@ Steelers
@ Titans
Chiefs
Browns
@ Buccaneers
@ Patriots
Bills
Ravens

My reason for displaying that is to ask a question...  What week do they have coming up that ISN'T a "must win" ??
They put themselves in an 0-3 hole in the division and if they don't win it, the wild card race is going to be heated.
The Bills, Ravens, Titans, Chiefs and Bucs are all in first place of their respective divisions (Bucs haven't been great though).

Injuries are going to be key.  They need to heal up and get lucky much like last season.
My concern is the lack of consistency from the offense, but if they run like they did yesterday, this is going to be fun to watch.
They might piss me off from time to time, but I'm no where close to saying they can't make another run at it.

Upcoming Divisional Games:

Ravens @ Saints (Tonight's MNF, then on bye week like us)
Browns @ Dolphins (11/13)
Saints @ Steelers (11/13)

Meanwhile in Indianapolis…

The Colts dropped a bombshell on the NFL on Monday, first by firing head coach Frank Reich and then by naming former Pro Bowl center and Ring of Honor member Jeff Saturday as the team’s interim head coach.

Saturday’s hiring comes as a shock.

A six-time Pro Bowler beloved in Indianapolis for his time as Peyton Manning’s center, Saturday has only coached at the high school level, leading his team, Hebron Christian in Dacula, Ga., to a 20-16 record over three seasons.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/11/07/indianapolis-colts-news-jeff-saturday-named-interim-head-coach-frank-reich-fired-jim-irsay/69626985007/

I have them paying back each of the division opponents for the previous Ls - add in wins over Tampa and Pats that's 10 wins. I think 10 is doable. Then comes down to can they get 1 of 3 against Titans/Chiefs/Bills to get to 11 wins. Not any margin for error, of course, and it won't play out like that, but 11 wins still very achieveable. 

When the fuck is Elon Musk going to start building replacement parts for humans ??
I would volunteer to let them replace my worn out joints with some cyborg shit.
The big concern for football players will no longer be PEDS, but having bionic legs or some shit.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

So no different than all the lithium batteries they made for EV cars that the department of transportation has now labeled as "hazardous material" and will no longer ship.  If you buy a replacement shoulder, you will have to have it taken out and have to leave it when you move !!  Seems reasonable.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I dunno if medicine has advanced meaningfully for that injury in the last 14 years, but if not that’s a problem. Palmer in ‘08 was done. Granted the Bengals might have shelved him deliberately since the team was horrible.

IIRC the team wanted him to have surgery and thought he could come back faster that way, but Palmer was all, “naw dawg Imma just let it heal by itself” and more or less just took himself out of the season. And tbf his oline boasted the likes of the Dancing Bear, Scott Kooistra and Guy-check. I wouldn’t have been in a hurry to return either.

I was thinking earlier today about the recent Bengals offensive line lore, specifically at center. The story from Buckethead to Bucket-Ted has been so nightmarish.

Richie Braham
Eric Ghiaciuc
Kyle Cook
Russell Bodine
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins

Ted Karras

Aside from one good year out of Cook in 2009 and maybe Hopkins in 2020, that's as dark as it gets for 15-20 years.

• Like 2