2023 Draft Talking Points

Not mad about any of it.

Have no issue with Skoronski.

While they have said they will likely work on the depth of the o-line, I would rather them not do that with our 2nd rounder who would likely not see the field minus injury, but you never know.

Ojomo is a solid DT that would probably get some rotation in that group.

Spears is good but unless they dump Mixon, I would prefer a CB higher, which would be my thought in the next pick Brents. 

I like McClendon.

I guess another CB is ok, but wouldn’t thrill me. It’s a late rounder so I guess whatever.

It looks purely like a BPA draft, which I won’t be mad at, but just not sure of the impact. Wouldn’t argue at this point because free agency will change thoughts. Again, not mad, just said I didn’t think much of it…

Ojomo likely can do DE on early downs and kick inside. He profiles like a Hubbard - would be thrilled to see him in the 3rd round...

BPA at need positions IMO. I loved that draft. And Spears is REALLY good - especially good value in 4th round, 

Like any mock, I would want to see who else was in the board. I may agree 100% that they were the BPA. I may not. As always, rankings today are not ranking tomorrow. Players rise and fall. That’s why I won’t get mad or really argue much about anything someone comes up with. Well, unless someone thinks we should go QB early…

On 2/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, ArmyBengal said:

When you really have to pin it down, which positions do you think a rookie could come in and have an immediate impact? I only ask because it seems to me, that there aren’t many.

Here’s where I was thinking.
OT, TE, DT
Maybe CB, LB, or RB

My reason for bringing it up is (and so don’t typically think this way) maybe a trade up is in order.

Secondary.    Until the fruits of Free Agency are known its hands down Secondary.

Eli Apple was never intended to be a major player for the Bengals.  But he has been.    Even though there are wide ranges of opinions regarding Eli you better have similar quality at your depth spots.    Safety easily.   Both starters are Free Agents.   Chido coming back off ACL.  Flowers a FA.     Even if they are able to fill these spots FA, you have to look at length of deals as well.   If they fill spots with 1 year deals then significant draft picks are still in play, IMO. 

Its a deep safety class so I think they could strike there.

TE - snaps available there until Free Agency is known.  

Tackle and DL  are not primary needs, as in they could line up right now and play. They do have a difficult vacancy coming up after 2023 with Jonah Williams.   Right Tackle injuries in two seasons may have cost them a Superbowl.    Pass rush similar to Secondary can never have enough.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:07 PM, membengal said:

Like the double up on Tackle and CB.   Don't like guard at 60.    Avila may be a fine player and steal at that spot but Cappa goes through 2025 and Volson is on his rookie deal.    

It may be voodoo to suggest it but the Bengals are probably not true Best Player Available.   I don't see IOL in the top 150 again this year.  It would have to be a major steal for it to happen. 

I see them shopping Tackle, TE, and Secondary until Free Agency is known.

If a faller at G is there - I would not hesitate to add to that room. Our backups at G are NOT good. Let a new guy and Volson fight it out and loser is excellent depth. It’s all illusory but I would not hate a falling top talent at pick 60. I would not reach for G there. The guy I took fell to 60 on this fantasy draft. 

I just don't see IOL in the top 150 this year.    The 3 starters are signed going into 2024.    There are a bunch of big names UFA after 2023 which increases the chances of a player with an equal grade to any IOL line player being there.

For example:   Hurst, Sample are FAs this year.   Boyd and Higgins FA next year.  Now there's a whole world of Free Agency to occur but you could easily make a need argument, impact argument for a weapon for Burrow and there is a good chance of having a player that fits that description being equally graded to any G/C in this draft.

Given the some of the FAs in the front 7 this year and next.  A similar scenario can be made.     Secondary is more immediate in 2023 but same scenario.    

Tobin could be looking a year ahead trying to fill spots, IMO.   

I can generally get onboard with this.  OT and DE would be the 2 highest priorities in the first 3 rounds.   If they sign someone instead then of course that probably changes obviously.  Losing Hendrickson next year incrases the Edge/PR need.   Thing is they really need an impact player there, and not just another Sample or even Hubbard, has to be someone who can consistently change plays and sack the QB more often.

Fp1S8e9XoAAqBR6?format=jpg&name=small

On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, ArmyBengal said:

The Bengals need “fixed” ??

Odd, back to back AFCCG with a Super Bowl appearance doesn’t sound like something needing to be fixed. Then again, that’s coming from a coach that couldn’t win a playoff game, so there’s that…

Yes "upgrade/moves or priorities" would've sufficed.   

Regarding Smith-Njigba, there would be worse things in the world then taking him early.
TB is a free agent after this season and will be turning 30 heading into 2024.
While I would hate to see TB go, Smith-Njigba would fit right into the slot on the cheap for the next 5 years.

All that being said, there are far more priorities I would prefer to see, but him dropping to 28 would make you stop and think.

Yup - you can look at the max/mins for each position from their history and know which prospects at each position won't even make their board depending on how measureables get confirmed. 

Also, as to this guy ( I was out on him anyway but)...add an injury flag -