2023 Draft Talking Points

Yeah, we are likely looking at two new OTs over the next two years, so BTA is as good a strategy as any.

I don’t think you find a starting RT at 60. You could probably upgrade Adenji tho, and maybe find a project who might start in a year or three.

At the end of the day, at 28 the Bengals are in “falling star” mode in the first IMHO. BPA is your best bet, and in the mock I did it happened to be Harrison. Just have to see how it shakes out in real life.

As always, what appears true in the draft in February may look very different come April.
Players rise and fall through that period of time and who appears to be top 15 may fall out of the first completely.

That being said, I'm all in on an OT with the first pick.  CB or DE wouldn't upset me in the least, but considering the importance of the o-line, OT is going to be my preference.  Speaking of mocks, I did one yesterday where Skoronski from Northwestern fell to us.  That would be a no brainer in my opinion at this point.  Despite being LT in college, he would easily be my starting RT in 2023.  He could also be a consideration to move to LT in 2024 should Jonah not be brought back.

Then of course, there might not be an OT available at 28 worth taking and we are back to BPA.
There are free agent OT's out there I would not complain about, but I do not expect the Bengals to be players in that market.

• Like 1

Post senior/shrine bowl 2 rounder from Matt Miller at ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35585484/2023-nfl-mock-draft-matt-miller-two-round-predictions-senior-bowl-shrine-bowl-quarterback-landings-spots-trade-projection

First up:

28. Cincinnati Bengals

Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

The first of a loaded tight end group comes off the board as the Bengals look to develop an inside passing game to complement the outside talent assembled in Cincinnati. Mayer is a throwback tight end who reminds me of T.J. Hockenson, showcasing an in-line blocking game and terrific seam game as a receiver. Mayer, who is 6-5, 235 pounds, had 67 catches for nine touchdowns in 2022 while playing in an offense without an established quarterback. And while he doesn't have elite speed or positional versatility, the top-ranked tight end in the class is a tremendous value at this spot, especially with Hayden Hurst hitting free agency.

Hard to argue that one. Elsewhere around the division, Baltimore takes Quentin Johnson, WR, TCU and Pitt gets Oregon CB Christian Gonzalez. 

Notable: Miller has Buffalo snatching Cody Mauch at 27, with O’Cyrus Torrance going to Dallas at 26.

And at 60:

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Three straight cornerbacks come off the board as teams try to find the answer to three-deep receiver groups like the one Cincinnati has in its own locker room. The Bengals have three cornerbacks, including starter Eli Apple, set to hit free agency in a year in which quarterback Joe Burrowis likely to get a new deal. Ringo, who had four picks over the past two seasons, has the best physical traits of any corner in this class, but his struggles in man coverage could push him too late in Round 2.

Position is definitely a need, don’t know anything about the player tho. Rest of the division: Pitt gets Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma and John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota. Cleveland lands Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan.

Not going to go way in depth with each of these players, but I was messing around with a mock today and had this fall into my lap.

1st- Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern:  Gift from God to fall this far and is starting RT for 2023 and possible more to LT in 2024.
2nd- Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah:  Another gift falling to here.  Watch this kids highlights and tell me he doesn't look like Hunter Hurst.  LOVE this kid.
3rd- Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan:  Presented as BPA with no DE worthy of this pick.  Very nice to add to the interior rotation.
4th- Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse:  Another player I love and think he gets reps in his rookie season.  I expect him to rise up the board.
5th- Jay Ward, S, LSU:  Yes, another LSU guy, but needed depth with Bates going to leave and Bell an unknown.
6th- Dontay Demus, WR, Maryland: Had an injury early in 2021, but is a big body WR and worth the risk of a 6th.
7th- Gabe Wallace, OG, Buffalo: Because why not have a late round o-line depth guy that's pretty damn big?

I know, we didn't come away with a DE, but I'm not even sure they go that route to be honest with Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai and others on board.
You come away with two starters, three really good depth pieces with potential, and a couple of projects.  I will take that.
Honestly, I would take hitting on only one as long as it's an OT.

I would be thrilled with that draft, Army. Re DE I’m on the same page. It’s hard to see where another guy fits in at the moment. Improving the interior, where we have DJ reader and then…some guys would probably do a lot to give the edge players a boost.

Oh hell, I totally forgot about Anderson. You never know though.  At least Bates and maybe both him and Bell go.  Depth would be needed.

Honestly, I would have no issue with a DE if "that guy" just happened to fall and he presented a better option, but the more I look at the roster, the less I think they pull the trigger there.  I have been all in on an OT or CB with our first couple picks for a while.  I'm just now getting more into the draft and like I said, it's bound to change.  April is a long way off in what can happen with draft boards and rankings.

• Like 1

As expected, the Cincinnati Bengals have eyes on offensive line talent ahead of the 2023 NFL draft.

According to The Draft Network’s Justin Melo, the Bengals used The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl to meet with Oregon State offensive lineman Brandon Kipper.

Kipper is right in line with what the Bengals love to add to their program. He’s an experienced redshirt senior from a bigger school who is extremely versatile having played right tackle and right guard for much of his career.

While Kipper probably isn’t going to go in the early rounds, he’s right in line with what most expected for the Bengals in the upcoming draft. They need better depth behind Alex Cappa at right guard after Max Scharping’s brutal playoff showing and a potential outright replacement for La’el Collins at right tackle, never mind better depth.

In other words, keep an eye on Kipper and prospects just like him during the draft process.

You guys had me thinking some more about the pass rush yesterday and while I don't think a DE makes sense when looking at the roster, the interior would certainly be a way to improve that aspect.  DJ Reader is obviously a beast and while I like BJ Hill and Zach Carter (Hell I like Tupou) they aren't the "game changer" that demands being accounted for in the interior of the D-line.  So my line of thought is to add DT to the mix in regards to those first couple picks.  That brings me to OT, CB and DT.  OT is a lock for one of those first two picks and the other would be between CB and DT.  There are TE's to like, but that's a deep TE class in this draft.

This made me go looking at the DT's in this draft class and I would think both the top 2 (currently) Carter and Bresee will be top half of first guys, the next 3 could be in play for the Bengals.  Baylor's Ika, who is just a massive human being, Florida's Dexter is a super tall DT, and Pittsburgh's Kancey is an explosive smaller guy.  Ika's size 6'4, 351 is appealing as a space eater, but his production as a pass rusher is almost non-existant.  Dexter being a 6'6 DT looks more like a DE, but would need to drop some weight and is also not a great pass rush guy.  Then you have Kancey, the undersized DT.  However, when looking at his production from a pass rush perspective, it's night and day.  In 3 years (33 games) he has 34.5 tackles for loss and 16 sacks.

Then I went and watched some of his highlights, as I can't say that I watched him play this season, and whoa.  That's the kind of disruption that, when paired with Reader, would absolutely wreck an o-line.  Not only that, it would free up both Hendrickson and Hubbard in having to account for this dude.  Not sure if anyone else has looked into these guys, but if you are all in on improving the pass rush, THIS GUY should be at or near the top of that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Snhj5PX8s

22 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Oh hell, I totally forgot about Anderson. You never know though.  At least Bates and maybe both him and Bell go.  Depth would be needed.

Honestly, I would have no issue with a DE if "that guy" just happened to fall and he presented a better option, but the more I look at the roster, the less I think they pull the trigger there.  I have been all in on an OT or CB with our first couple picks for a while.  I'm just now getting more into the draft and like I said, it's bound to change.  April is a long way off in what can happen with draft boards and rankings.

for me, its still a pass rushing phenom at 3TDT, if indeed such a player is available at our r1 pick

Wow, that's a nice comparison.  Glad to see my thoughts are shared elsewhere.
Like I said, I haven't seen the kid play, but you guys had me looking at prospects when I had some time last evening.
HOLY SHIT, just noticed they suggest taking him in the first round.  That's the first time I've seen anyone suggest that.
Most have him as a late second, early third kind of guy.  Guess my thoughts aren't all together up to speed huh ??
Well, 28 huh ??  I would have to think about that, but I do like the kid.  He's on my list of players I really like to this point.

He's like one of my all time favorite Bengals, Geno Atkins.  Just 20 lbs lighter.  280 is light for an interior rusher, but whatever.

I will say that I'd like him to add about 15-20 pounds of muscle before he comes to our camp

Mr Ruby, can you send this guy some steaks? 

Which ones, you ask?  All of them, please

but I'll admit that I dont want any speed or quicks lost in doing so, and so I know this may well be quite unreasonable

3 round mock from Reuter.

Cody Mauch - OT/G NDSU

Banks  - CB Maryland

Scott - Safety Cal

Decent haul.    I would like to hear more about Mauch being more a true tackle vs.  guard.    I don't think Interior OL should be that high a pick before knowing more about the future of tackle plan going forward.

Right now until Free Agency produces more known values Defensive Back has to be considered the big need.