2023 Draft Talking Points

For those that follow college football, those listed players have been fun to watch this year.

On a side note, I met Paris Johnson and his mother (since they are from Cincinnati) and they were looking into starting up a foundation for Veterans.
While that hit home for me, what also hit me was how genuinely nice they were.  Paris made me feel like an ant, towering almost a full foot taller than I.
I will be rooting for that young man wherever he goes.

Like him though, I wouldn't expect any of those players to reach the Bengals pick.  I would take damn near every one of them.
Of the ones that "might" fall due to teams needs, I really like Michael Mayer the TE from Notre Dame and the same for Kelee Ringo from Georgia.

I'm not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t expect any of these guys to last to the Bengals pick unless things go badly and they lose in the WC round. That would put their puck somewhere around 20…and then maybe. Really tho I just think it’s worth looking at rankings before the draft hype machine gets hold of things. Some of these guys are going to slip out of the conversation and maybe we get lucky.

McShay’s first mock is out. Gives the Bengals:

26. Cincinnati Bengals (9-4)

Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Six cornerbacks in the past 11 picks, and the Bengals get a good one here. Witherspoon allowed fewer than 10 yards as the primary defender in eight of 12 games this season, and he had more interceptions (three) than TDs and 20-plus-yard catches against combined (two). Plus, Cincinnati's CB group thins out a bit after the season with Eli Apple and Tre Flowershitting free agency. I love Witherspoon's physicality, and while he'll need to run well at the combine to lock down a first-round spot, his tape is a treat to watch. If not cornerback, the Bengals could maybe reach for an offensive lineman because that unit is still very flimsy (38 sacks allowed, sixth most).

I’m ignoring the last line since all it shows is Todd hasn’t been paying attention. He also has Baltimore tasking a corner (Clark Phillips, Utah) while the Steelers take ArmyBengal favorite OT Paris Johnson.

(If you want Jalen Carter TJ, McShay thinks we need to move up to 2…)

Interestingly McShay has a run of three straight DEs at 29-31: Iowa’s Lukas Van Ness, Florida State’s Jared Verse and Isaiah Foskey from Notre Dame. So if you aren’t into CB maybe DE?

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s Jordan Reid’s first try:

26. Cincinnati Bengals (11-4)

Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa

Four corners and three offensive tackles are already off the board, so I'm looking at the edge rush, where more value lies. Trey Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard are both under contract through at least 2024, but having waves of pass-rushers is never a bad thing. Van Ness has yet to register a college start -- he's only a redshirt sophomore -- but has still totaled 13 sacks in a heavy rotation over two seasons. He's a heavy-handed run defender and powerful pass-rusher, which aligns with what Cincinnati covets off the edge.

Biggest needs: CB, OL, EDGE

Interestingly has RT Darnell Wright going to the Broncos next. Three of the four picks following that are DBs (Witherspoon, Branch and Phillips). I can’t speak to the individuals but that seems like a pretty decent mix positionally.

As much as I love the draft, this year more than most is going to be challenging until you see what they do in free agency (both internally and externally).
I would guess TE would be high on the draft list, unless they are able to sign Hurst back.  If that's the case, TE falls down the priority list.
That's just one of many examples.  Then there will be extensions to hand out as well.  Where's the money going and how does it limit other areas?
We will see.

The hopeful news so far on FA front is that I’ve been looking at “top 50 FAs” lists on the major sports sites, ands the only two Bengals making the lists are Bates and Vonn Bell. (And it’s clear the Bengals have already written Bates off.) So if that holds, prices for most of their guys should be reasonable. Or at least what passes for reasonable in FA.

Yep, I think that's a good thing.  Who stays and who goes?
This is what I love though...  Being a yearly contender will surely be an appealing thing for not only our own FA's, but external ones as well.
I have faith in the organization to get it right as well.  That sure is a welcomed aspect.

Thanks Joe Burrow !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it’s officially draft season folks: Mel’s first mock is up! Bengals pick:

28. Cincinnati Bengals

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

Hayden Hurst had a decent bounce-back season after signing in Cincinnati, but he's hitting the free agent market again this offseason. The Bengals need to find a long-term tight end target for quarterback Joe Burrow. Even with Hurst, the offense ranked 29th in receiving yards by tight ends (556). Adding a big red-zone target is a way for it to level up.

Both Kincaid and Luke Musgrave (Oregon State) have a chance to be Round 1 picks, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams preferred one of them over Michael Mayer (Notre Dame) as the top-ranked tight end in this class. Kincaid had 16 touchdowns over the past two seasons, while Musgrave was in line for a breakout before he suffered a knee injury in October that prematurely ended his season. Kincaid has more speed, but Musgrave's size (6-6, 250 pounds) and upside intrigues NFL scouts. Cincinnati would upgrade with either player here.

I personally love Dalton Kincaid, but not in the first round.
I would rather have an O or D Lineman, or CB at this point.  Having the ability to secure them on the 5th year option is huge.
Not to mention, I could see almost any of the above taken #1.  Then you may have something like last year, where a certain player falls that you weren't expecting.

If Kincaid were to happen to fall to the second round, I would be all over that pick.
That's where I'm taking him in mocks to this point.

FWIW Mel has ND DE Isaiah Foskey going next (and in the process of his comments on the pick says he thinks all the surefire oline starters are gone). Alabama S Brian Branch goes after him and then WR Zay Flowers rounds out the first. Re CB Mel has five going before we pick, so selection looks thin.

I’m always a fan of a first round TE but it just never seems to work out, so…

Here was my first completely unresearched off-the-cuff mock of the year - PFF mock draft engine

1st round - Pick 28 - Joey Porter Jr - DB - Penn State

2nd round - Pick 60 - Isaiah McGuire - Edge - Mizzou

3rd round - Pick 92 - Cedric Tillman - WR - Univ Tennessee

4th round -  Pick 131 - Jarrett Kingston - T - Wash State

5th round  - Pick 165 - Deuce Vaughn - RB - Kansas State

6th round - Pick 206 - Javion Cohen - IOL - Alabama

7th round - Pick 248 -  Cameron Mithcell - CB - Northwestern

Mostly unresearched - I am kinda smitten with Deuce Vaughn - a Darren Sproles type who would add a fun tool to the toolbox on offense...

On 12/13/2022 at 3:12 PM, HoosierCat said:

McShay’s first mock is out. Gives the Bengals:

I’m ignoring the last line since all it shows is Todd hasn’t been paying attention. He also has Baltimore tasking a corner (Clark Phillips, Utah) while the Steelers take ArmyBengal favorite OT Paris Johnson.

(If you want Jalen Carter TJ, McShay thinks we need to move up to 2…)

Interestingly McShay has a run of three straight DEs at 29-31: Iowa’s Lukas Van Ness, Florida State’s Jared Verse and Isaiah Foskey from Notre Dame. So if you aren’t into CB maybe DE?

Would love Witherspoon.   I guess McShay already knows his stock has risen to round 1.   Back in the fall he was 2nd/3rd round.

He's a legit run defending corner. 

• ArmyBengal changed the title to 2023 Draft Talking Points

I'd rather a RT, as opposed to a LT.  Jonah may not be the best LT in the league, but forcing the issue with a lesser talent that may not see the field isn't my desire.
RT on the other hand could earn the starting spot from day 1 with Collins possibly not seeing the field in 2023 or at least until the last few weeks of the season.
The other thing I like about taking a RT is one could be had on day 2.

The Denver Broncos agreed Tuesday to a trade with the New Orleans Saints to make Sean Payton the 19th head coach in the franchise's history, sources told ESPN.

The Saints will receive the Broncos' 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall) and 2024 second-round pick for Payton and the Saints' 2024 third-round selection, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35564875/sources-broncos-finalizing-deal-saints-sean-payton

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'd rather a RT, as opposed to a LT.  Jonah may not be the best LT in the league, but forcing the issue with a lesser talent that may not see the field isn't my desire.
RT on the other hand could earn the starting spot from day 1 with Collins possibly not seeing the field in 2023 or at least until the last few weeks of the season.
The other thing I like about taking a RT is one could be had on day 2.

I agree.  I would rather a RT too.   I think 2024 is a tough extension for Jonah.   So there is room, IMO, to take the best available tackle irrespective of Left or Right.    Adeniji to me is not a high quality starter.  Carman while surprising in the playoffs,  I still wouldn't trust him without seeing more snaps but I think he'll factor in somewhere for a TC competition.   Collins is a big question mark,  I wouldn't count on him at all.     

Going into 2024,  I think they have to nail a tackle pick this year 2023.   Then maybe/hopefully continue to get a surprise from Carman.  But you can't go into 2024 with starting LT entering FA and question marks at RT.   That's a tough off season.