Fake Game #2: Bengals @ Giants

HoosierCat

I'm with Mem in that I would have less issue at this point with Volson than Carman.
When considering everything you hear from the coaches and players about Volson, you have to ask yourself one question...  Have you heard anyone say ANYTHING remotely positive about Carman or at least anything as positive as what's been heaped on Volson?  I surely have not.

If I have to pick which one to start, which I obviously do not, give me Volson.
He's going to die trying and giving max effort.  Carman?  I just don't see the same passion.

Zeirlein’s predraft write up on Johnson, just fyi.

Overview

Decorated defensive end with conference acclaim and good measurables on a high-cut frame. Johnson uses play strength to impose his will against lesser opponents but ran into roadblocks when he faced stiffer competition. He's explosive into first contact and maintains his play strength when working into the gaps, but lacks consistency to control the action with his hands at the point of attack. He has physical traits that could give him a shot as a sub-package interior rusher, but he's unlikely to get home if asked to play off the edge.

Strengths

Four-year starter.

Good size, adding over 40 pounds of muscle onto his frame over time.

Explosive upper-body power.

Forceful into first contact.

Plays under tackles while setting the edge.

Maintains play strength while on the move.

Flows into gaps and is tough to reach.

Strength, length and hand quickness for interior rush potential.

Has two career blocked kicks.

Weaknesses

High-cut with long legs and tight lower body.

First two steps into his rush are very average.

Doesn't have winning edge speed versus NFL tackles.

Feet lag too far behind in his rush counters.

Hands fail to protect his frame from clinches and grabs.

Feet and hands aren't properly coordinated.

Struggled getting off blocks against Coastal Carolina.

Rush gets upright and narrow into contact.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/raymond-johnson-iii/32004a4f-4878-9803-e19e-a9c0e9fa10bf

PFF wasn't impressed with Volson as a pass blocker. While I didn't anticipate numbers this low, I'm not entirely surprised. A few mistakes can quickly tank a single-game grade, and Volson definitely made mistakes. He has shown some promise and isn't any worse than Carman (as a bare minimum assessment) right now, but he does need to be better if the LG spot is going to be in good shape. I wish he had more time to prepare.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

PFF wasn't impressed with Volson as a pass blocker. While I didn't anticipate numbers this low, I'm not entirely surprised. A few mistakes can quickly tank a single-game grade, and Volson definitely made mistakes. He has shown some promise and isn't any worse than Carman (as a bare minimum assessment) right now, but he does need to be better if the LG spot is going to be in good shape. I wish he had more time to prepare.

Not surprised.        He struggled more than what is being talked about.     I think Volson from the public gets graded on a curve.

If Carman would have played that exact game we'd have multiple rando twitter coaches breaking down the errors posted all over here.

Could have been 2 penalties.  They either messed up the number or there were multiple holds on the same play and the just went with 1 number.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:35 PM, ArmyBengal said:

I'm with Mem in that I would have less issue at this point with Volson than Carman.
When considering everything you hear from the coaches and players about Volson, you have to ask yourself one question...  Have you heard anyone say ANYTHING remotely positive about Carman or at least anything as positive as what's been heaped on Volson?  I surely have not.

If I have to pick which one to start, which I obviously do not, give me Volson.
He's going to die trying and giving max effort.  Carman?  I just don't see the same passion.

After watching some film breakdowns.   Again,  I think the Bengals will have to coach their way through the Left Guard position without a dramatic turn around by either player.     

1st - Volson was not going up against a starter.   #90 is an undrafted FA and 4th on their depth chart.  #91 is a back up once drafted 4th rounder but signed by Giants off a practice squad. 

2nd - He will be in danger of giving look out blocks.   He got beat more time than I thought originally and was saved by the Bengals getting the ball out quickly his man constantly got his hips past Volson.   You see this alot in preseason as soft coverage allows offenses to just ding.   Our pass defense gave up many yards like this. 

3rd - Sack given up.   Yes obviously a missed assignment but he recognized it and simply was not quick enough to recover.  This wasn't a communication error.   He will have to secure an inside blitzer and shuffle outside to pick up a runner.   Otherwise it will be free runners all the time.

Volson gets graded on a crutch in comparison to Carman.  It is simple as that.   They have very similar issues in protection.    Whoever they start week 1.   I have to think will see Heyward as much as possible.   Hopefully they can scheme their way out of his impact because Heyward as looks right now with either guy will feast if they get in mode of him constantly rushing against whatever LG.

My comfort level has next to nothing to do with Volson's grade, what round the person he faced was drafted in, or whether they beat his ass just like Carman's.

My comfort level has everything to do with growing ability (which coaches and players alike have commented on), his confidence, and his overall attitude.

Carman is in his second year and appears to continue making the same mistakes.  Confidence, attitude and work ethic do not appear to be strengths of his, regardless of how much I wanted him to take advantage of this opportunity.  No one had a clearer path to the LG starting position than Carman and yet here we are.

None of that suggests the lightbulb won't come on and he figures it out, but again he does not appear to be trending in that direction.  Would have no problem being wrong here.  God knows the o-line needs all the depth they can get their hands on.

19 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

My comfort level has next to nothing to do with Volson's grade, what round the person he faced was drafted in, or whether they beat his ass just like Carman's.

My comfort level has everything to do with growing ability (which coaches and players alike have commented on), his confidence, and his overall attitude.

Carman is in his second year and appears to continue making the same mistakes.  Confidence, attitude and work ethic do not appear to be strengths of his, regardless of how much I wanted him to take advantage of this opportunity.  No one had a clearer path to the LG starting position than Carman and yet here we are.

None of that suggests the lightbulb won't come on and he figures it out, but again he does not appear to be trending in that direction.  Would have no problem being wrong here.  God knows the o-line needs all the depth they can get their hands on.

I'm just pointing out that IF Carman had played the same exact game as Volson did this past week.  The spin would have been different.   That's all.     Either player is going to represent a situation to coach through because the break downs in protection are there.

Its a tough week 1 match up with Heyward.    ZT with Burrow and Karras hopefully will be able to scheme/recognize their way out of any problems.      I don't think it would be wise to blitz Burrow in the same fashion that Volson got beat on, because Burrow probably going to take the hit and have a big play as a result. 

Just hopefully they avoid situations in which Steelers can play games only rush 4 to 5 but with their typical flair you have no idea where the rushers are coming.

Oh I get your point AMPHAR.  Mine is simply acknowledging some of the differences for why that might be.  Agree that both may and probably will struggle at some point facing Heyworth.  Then again, many players struggle against Heyworth, so there's that as well.  I'm sure playing between Karras and Williams will make it look a little better as well.  Then yes, there's always Burrow under center vs. what we've seen to this point.

I'm sure we will all be watching and rooting for whomever is out there against the Steelers !!