Fake Game #2: Bengals @ Giants

HoosierCat

9 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Apart from Hood, the secondary seemed to have an alright night -- however, the Giants passing numbers tell a different story.

Secondary was a highlight, IMO.   Giants threw underneath a lot which I’m sure in preseason they are content to watch guys compete. 

Well, thank god that’s over. Wasn’t impressed with the offense overall but so many starters including obviously Burrow are out it’s impossible to gauge if it matters that, for example, they couldn’t convert a third down to save their lives. D’Ante “Holding” Smith needs to clean that up but we knew he wasn’t very good. Evans needs more snaps, especially as a returner. D seemed pretty good early, got some flashes from guys like Ossai that we are counting on. Crisman was fine. Whatever. One more fake game to go.

I thought Volson was up and down.  Struggled first half.    There were some better highlights in the 2nd half.    He anchors good.  The drive block on the last TD was awesome.    He blocked someone into oblivion on a failed 1st half screen but he had his guy pushed down the field and to the sideline.   

Overall the biggest worry and he got beat several times on his outside shoulder.   The Trent no catch/catch.   One of the holding plays (he could have drawn a flag almost a replay of the Carman hold a week prior).  Got beat badly on his outside shoulder at least once in the 4th.   Another time thrown off balance quickly, both times ball got out.   So I'm not sure how Paul had him down as a winner as I think getting  beat like that on multiple snaps is going to drag the LG battle out longer. 

Of course if they lock him in as starter tomorrow that would refute this arm chair analysis.  Overall I think they can manage the LG spot with Volson or Carman as long as everyone else plays up to expectation.   I wouldn't be surprised if Spain got a call now.   That would be disappointing overall as it knocks 2 young linemen down the pecking order.   We'll see. 

I had all intentions of watching the game, but it just didn't work out that way.
From what I gather, it was almost entirely our backups going against the Giants 1's to start.
They led into the 4th quarter, but lost the game.  Hard to make any real judgements in that situation.
However, you should be able to see players executing or not.

Volson commented on his play saying, "It was good, I don't think it was great".  He also said there was some miscommunication along the line at times.  Didn't specify whether it was on him or someone else, but that's always a challenge regardless who is playing when communication blows.  That hole he opened up for Patrick's go ahead rushing TD in the 4th looked pretty good.  The false start at the end of the game did not.

I would not be surprised to see them go with either Carman or Volson to start the season at LG.  From what you hear them say, my bet is on Volson unless Carman comes on strong in the last preseason game against the Rams.

Re Volson, I’d say he looked significantly better than you would expect a fourth-round pick to look at this stage of his career. That’s encouraging. Right now I think it’s safe to label him a quality backup/spot starter, with definite potential to develop into a solid starter.

I would prefer not to throw him right into the fire, but yeah at this point that call probably has more to do with Carman than him.

I think Volson or Carman its a spot they are going to have to coach through.      Which is entirely possible.       I wouldn't be surprised if the pursued a vet Guard at this point.   It would be disappointing that they can't get a home grown solution but they got to do what they got to do.